Trump cites story of general who dipped bullets in pigs' blood to deter Muslims

North Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)—Donald Trump on Friday cited an apocryphal story about a U.S. general who purportedly dipped bullets in pigs’ blood to execute Muslim prisoners a century ago in an effort to deter Islamic terrorism.

Speaking at a rally in North Charleston, South Carolina, Trump reiterated his claim that the U.S. should “go much further” than waterboarding suspected terrorists, telling the story of Gen. John Pershing in the Philippines, who Trump said captured 50 Muslim prisoners a century ago and dipped 50 bullets in blood.

cnn.com/2016/02/19/politics/donald-trump-south-carolina-john-pershing/

Much further than water boarding?

Geneva Convention doesn’t exist I guess.

I actually think Trump should just keep talking.

A man of peace or a man of war.
Our choice. :cool:

The story he cites about Pershing is a myth.
What’s next? Will Trump start using Chick tracts to respond to the Pope?

Before I did a knee jerk reaction on this, I decided to read the Snopes article. And they don’t discount the event from possibly happening. They just can’t find any evidence that Pershing was involved. See:
snopes.com/rumors/pershing.asp

Events like this happen in war. It even happened during the Iraq war and the Crusades. It happened during the US Indian war as well and the wars England had in Afghanistan. Not to mention WWII. It isn’t that unusual.

I can describe things that the other side did that would shock you as well.

Your right, the more he says, the worse he sounds!! God Bless, Memaw

Always a voice of knowledge and reason, Gilliam.

Which candidate is a man of peace?

The point is Trump used the story in a speech in South Carolina.
The guy just keeps reaching for the bottom at every turn.

Sanders?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like he is in favor of going to war with ISIS as long as we are not the leaders (which also seems to be Obama’s position) ref:
feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-isis/

He heard the story and repeated it (I saw a reference to him repeating it in 2005 as well.) It is a plausible story, the event may very well have happened, the only question is if a general was involved or not. Considering the type of falsehoods being thrown around by most of the candidates in SC, this isn’t that big of a deal. Unless, of course, someone wants to throw mud at Trump and see if it sticks.

I find this to be one of the most telling episodes of his entire political campaign. There is no proof that this happened, just as there was no proof that “thousands” of Muslims in Jersey City cheered when the Twin Towers came down. But there is a certain segment of the population that believes these claims because they follow their preconceived and usually false beliefs. They don’t want to be confused by facts. And these are the voters that Trump is targeting because he’s smart enough to know how their minds work. Logic and facts have no place in their world. I see it all the time on line. People forward these ridiculous lies without ever checking to see if there is any validity to them. “Well, we can’t prove that it happened but we can’t prove that it didn’t, so it is probably true.” Really?

I must have lived too long. I never thought I would see Catholics on a Catholic forum supporting a candidate who called the Holy Father “disgraceful.”

Aren’t you worried about giving the kind of power that the POTUS wields to a man who uses a story like this without making any effort to determine if it is true? Do facts no longer matter? And what is the point of the story? That the way to contain terrorism is by using terroristic tactics?

Actually, to be fair, Trump said if what was reported the Holy Father said it would be disgraceful, then Trump said that what was originally reported was, in fact, not what the Holy father said. This is what Trump said after: “I don’t think this is a fight,” Trump said. “I think he said something much softer than was originally reported by the media.”

On Friday, a Vatican spokesman said that, although the reporter at the papal press conference asked Francis specifically about Trump, the Pope’s answer should be interpreted more generally.

“It didn’t intend to be in any way neither a personal attack nor an indication in how to vote,” the Rev. Federico Lombardi told Vatican Radio.

cnn.com/2016/02/19/politics/donald-trump-pope-francis/

But we have another thread discussing this act of political theater.

Not only that but it hasn’t been that long ago he called himself pro-choice and also lied about his original stand on the Irac war. And he calls everyone else a liar! He slams them down in one breath and then tries to say they are nice and he likes them in the next!!! God Bless, Memaw

Well, lets hold on a minute. I do believe I heard the Mrs. Clinton state quite clearly that she believes she has never lied, never. She has always tried to tell the truth!

I guess that one wouldn’t really matter, or would it? (oh so many, many!)

Now telling an old story about a famous wartime General that claimed dipping the bullets in pig’s blood was quite fitting to execute the enemy - does that weigh the same? I don’t think so!

Seems many people step up to attack quite viciously those that do not have their views - even though the opposition is quite mild in offensiveness. IMO democrats exhibit this trait with the same fervor as communists or dictatorships.

I think calling the Pope “disgraceful” is pretty viscious. But, of course, Trump dances around the word as he dances around every other false, misleading, outrageous statement he makes. “Somebody said that. I just repeated it.”

That (untrue) story about Pershing is not mild at all. It’s a statement that only terrorism can contain terrorism; the subtext is that Muslims can only understand violence. It’s a not-very-subtle incitement to violence. And it’s a dog-whistle statement that when he’s elected POTUS, that’s the kind of action he’d take. It appeals to voters who cannot understand the complexities of international politics and feel that a gun is the only way to solve problems.

Sadly, too many Americans buy into sensational talk like this.
Consider what the majority of people buy into.
Trump is a sales and business man.
He and his family live here when they could live anywhere in the world. Maybe that is a plus value for him?:shrug:
Go pray.
We need to pray.

I’ll go on record that I have heard this story and I find it revolting, I disagree with it and would not use the story ever myself. Perhaps, I would comment on it if someone ever spoke about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.