Trump Considering Ben Carson for HUD

I am seriously considering Dr. Ben Carson as the head of HUD. I’ve gotten to know him well–he’s a greatly talented person who loves people!

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/801110690387857408

Didn’t Ben Carson say last week that he has no experience in running a government agency and that he would not consider it? I wonder why he is changing his mind. And housing? Really?

I would consider him for Surgeon General. Do we still have that? I can’t recall Obama’s Surgeon General.

Where does it say he has changed his mind? Just because Trump is considering that position does not mean that Carson has changed his mind. Maybe you should get a job at the NYT:)

The current US Surgeon General is Vice Admiral Vivek Murthy.

Yeah last I heard Carson had no interest in being part of the Trump administration.

Great!!! I think Ben Carson would be an excellent choice and could do a tremendous amount of good at the position. :thumbsup:

That of course would be his choice, the position involves either been or becoming a commissioned officer in the Public Health Service Commision and I notice it customarily carries the rank of Vice Admiral at present.

That was my thought too. Why you would put a surgeon in charge of HUD is a head scratched. I would think heading Health and Human Services (which I think the Surgeon General is under) would make more sense for a cabinet appointment.

It seems weird that Dr Carson says he is not qualified for the Cabinet, but ran for the office of President. I would love to see him over HHS, but I don’t know that he would take it of offered. He couldn’t be any worse in that possition than Secretary Sebelius was. He might actually understand what essentially health care includes rather than using left wing groups dictating birth control as essential health care.

Unless he was really running for president to simply make a point.

And as for him not making any sense in the position, it wouldn’t be the first in this administration. I mean a NYC Mayor as Sec State? I mean he would have made sense in a domestic capacity, but our top foreign affairs official?

Hardly unique to this administration. Look at some of the odd choices we have had in the past. Some folks seemed to be a bad fit, and some were just off their rocker (Jocelyn Elders, many of Andrew Jackson’s choices).

Carson had no issues with Trump and his administration, but said long before the election that he would likely not accept anyone’s cabinet nomination. He said in the spring he’d be more effective in the private sector if he wasn’t the President. I can understand that; as a business owner or President, you control your message and agenda. As a cabinet member, you implement someone else’s.

not sure Ben would be interested in being the head of HUD. not sure of what qualifications and experience required.

I had also heard that Ben Carson had no interest in holding a cabinet position, though I hope he reconsiders as I think he would be a good fit.

The position of Surgeon General does still exist, though it’s more of just an honorific these days rather than a position of real importance. But maybe he would be more comfortable in a position like that.

#BREAKING @RealBenCarson on #foxreport: If after meeting and they (Trump Transition Team) decide they want me, then I wouldn’t turn it down

twitter.com/harrisfaulkner/status/800497815579303936

Thinking outside the box, yeah!!! At least the media can’t fault Ben Carson for racism.

Or can they??? Yah never know.

Yes that’s what he said. If he does take it, it’s not clear to me what further experience he thinks he has had in a week to now all of a sudden be qualified. :shrug:

Can’t see him running HUD but his experience would be great for HHS. Sebilius showed gross incompetence. I guess Trump is going with Rep Price for HHS, probably because it is highly political in demands? Surgeon General doesn’t feel like a real position.

From Ben Carson:

“Winning the presidential election was only the first step for those who love traditional America and do not wish to fundamentally change it. Now the hard work begins of restoring the values that made us great. We must bring back the compassion and the unity that empowers us and banish the divisiveness that weakens us. After serious discussions with the Trump transition team, I feel that I can make a significant contribution particularly to making our inner cities great for everyone. We have much work to do in strengthening every aspect of our nation and ensuring that both our physical infrastructure and our spiritual infrastructure is solid. An announcement is forthcoming about my role in helping to make America great again.”

"An announcement is forthcoming about my role in helping to make America great again. " buff.ly/2fRFq4u

It’s confirmed.

twitter.com/FoxNews/status/801531144726597636?s=01

Congratulations to our new Secretary of HUD!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.