Trump: Democrats Trying to Exploit Coronavirus for Vote-by-Mail ‘Scam’

If the Democrats have their way, they will turn America (politically) into California.

Trump: Democrats Trying to Exploit Coronavirus for Vote-by-Mail ‘Scam’

Trump

Sarah Silbiger/Getty Images

JOSHUA CAPLAN

24 May 2020

President Donald Trump said Sunday that Democrats are attempting to use the Chinese coronavirus pandemic to push mail-in ballot plans for the November election, warning the move will lead to “the greatest Rigged Election in history.”

“The United States cannot have all Mail In Ballots. It will be the greatest Rigged Election in history. People grab them from mailboxes, print thousands of forgeries and “force” people to sign,” the president wrote. “Also, forge names. Some absentee OK, when necessary. Trying to use Covid for this Scam” . . .

1 Like

The President himself voted by mail in the most recent Florida primary. If vote-by-mail is good enough for the elite like Trump, it is good enough for the common man.

2 Likes

I’m getting weary of these vote by mail threads.

Thanks for participating despite your weariness Paul.

1 Like

Well, I can’t resist a good argument. :grinning:

Like most things these days, I’m trying to get past the political position I want to take and look at the issue itself. I think the President’s tweet here is just crazy. Noise like this makes it hard to get to the facts and make informed decisions.

Trump protesteth like a vote suppressor bigtime

As with 2016, Trump is spooked that he might not win, so he has to give himself and his supporters a bit of grist for the mill. If Biden wins, there will be endless stories of voter fraud.

1 Like

Given the fear of voting due to the coronavirus, I don’t see any alternative except voting by computer, which would be more fraudulent. I do understand Trump’s point, although he is like the boy who cried wolf, just one or one thousand times too many. Anyhow, the GOP complains a lot about fraud even without voting by mail, so there is no satisfying Trump and his ilk no matter which mode of voting is used.

Perhaps the topic of another thread, but I have come to believe that the Dems do NOT want Biden to win this election anyhow. They want and need Trump to complain about for four more years with regard to the economy and his response to the virus. Then they can wrap the economy around the neck of the GOP and be victorious in the 2024 election and thereafter. Biden, similar to McCain during the economic circumstances of 2008, is the fall guy of this presidential cycle, not liberal or leftist enough for the party and, frankly, in rapid cognitive decline. It’s a calculated risk on the part of the Dems, but if Biden loses, they might win in the long term.

1 Like

PaulinVA . . . .

I’m trying to get past the political position I want to take and look at the issue itself.

Paul then looks at the political position . . .

I think the President’s tweet here is just crazy. Noise like this makes it hard to get . . .

I think President Trump’s Tweet about voter fraud with all mail-in balloting (the “cheat by mail” scam) is right on.

2 Likes

I know you think that. I’m trying to figure it out.

Democrats are in favor because they think more Democrats will vote (for their candidates, of course)
Republicans are against because they think there is widespread fraud (by Democrats only?) that would hurt their chances in elections.

What i have found over the years is that neither political party has a lock on dirty tricks. There have been scandals on both sides.

However, Trumps’s over-the-top tweet doesn’t help the discourse, and is easily dismissed because of it’s outrageousness. Is there/will there be problems on the scale Trump tweets about? No. Will there be some shenanigans? Probably. Will they be found out? Probably again.

Should we do an all mail-in vote in November? Apparently the answer depends on your party, and I don’t have one.

1 Like

You think it is, is well said. Since there is no evidence.

In 2005, panel co-chaired by Jimmy Carter found: ‘Absentee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud’

Leftist media has really been outed in the Age of Donald Trump with their “Orange Man Bad” schtick. No matter what the president says, their instinctive responses are, ‘He’s wrong.’ ‘He’s lying.’ ‘He’s stupid.’ ‘He’s an oaf.’

The process of ballot harvesting should be illegal for very good reason. It violates the chain of custody, exposing the ballot to potential manipulation by campaign operatives or nonprofit political groups. They could harass voters to turn in ballots, assist them in filling them out, and potentially change ballots that don’t support the candidate the ballot harvester is paid to help.

The indication that ballot harvesting made the difference in California can be found in the vote proportions. Studies of absentee voters have consistently shown they tend to reflect the population or lean slightly to the right. But when ballot harvesting was deployed in California, we saw late ballots break heavily for Democrats .

Chances of increasing vote fraud are also why Democrats consistently oppose any Voter ID laws and other efforts to require people to prove who they are and that they have a right to vote as a citizen.

2 Likes

PaulinVA . . .

There have been scandals on both sides.

Then let’s stand shoulder-to-shoulder on Voter ID.

Then those doggone Republicans won’t have a chance!

2 Likes

Maximus1 on evidence of voter fraud.

there is no evidence.

What do you expect?

Do you think people are going to turn themselves in?

Do you think government should spy within the voting booth?

What do you want?

I think the same people who shrug their shoulders over innocent babies being slaughtered with government approbation, will have no scruples about voting dishonesty.

3 Likes

I’ve voted by mail too, several times. My career in the military kept me from making it back to my home-state to cast a ballot locally.

I think the Presidency of the United States should have the same opportunity.

I DON’T think we should open vote-by-mail up to everyone as it is indeed ripe for abuse. Wanna vote? Great, go to your polling place (and show an ID to prove you are who you say your are) and vote. If you have an extenuating circumstance (like you are serving your country elsewhere) then go vote in person.

I’m a little late to this conversation. Why are you weary? Are you “for” widespread vote-by-mail? Do you think that’s a secure way of electing our political leaders??

I think most of the President’s tweets range from over-the-top to “just crazy”. I don’t follow him, and only see his tweets when reported by the press or on discussion boards.

That being said, I think one of his successes is direct communication (often through tweets) to Americans, therefore bypassing the bias of the media.

In this case, I agree we shouldn’t have wide-spread mail in ballots as it does risk massive election fraud. Some absentee should be allowed, when necessary!

Kinda like the Dems with the hanging chad, right?

Not in the mainstream media, no matter how much fraud there actually is.

2 Likes

You can prejudge and think as you wish. That isn’t evidence. You don’t place burdens on voting unless there is a reason supported by evidence.

Maximus1 (on voter fraud) . . . .

. . . .That isn’t evidence.

Yes there is.

@PaulinVA

There have been scandals on both sides.

I don’t completely disagree with you here. We should certainly look at the evidence of voter-impersonation cases or other types of fraud before we mandate voter ID laws.

Same thing with buying guns, liquor, ammunition or cigarettes. Or ammunition.

However what is being pushed for here is a loosening of the security of our voting system, not the placing of additional burdens."

2 Likes

No idea what you are describing; " scandals on both sides."

They are expanding a practice some states follow already, correct?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.