Trump denies he said something that he said on a tape everyone has heard

Excerpt:
President Trump’s complaints about “fake news” are often dishonest. But rarely has it been so transparent.

At a news conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May in Britain on Friday, Trump claimed that a newspaper interview that quoted him criticizing May’s Brexit & trade strategies was “fake news.” “I didn’t criticize the prime minister,” he said. He went on to suggest a recording would vindicate him.

The recording exists. And it completely & utterly contradicts Trump’s claim.
The Sun — which, by the way, is owned by Trump ally Rupert Murdoch — had already posted lengthy audio clips of Trump’s comments, & they clearly feature him saying:
• “I actually told Theresa May how to do [Brexit], but she didn’t agree. She didn’t listen to me.”
• “I would say she actually went the opposite way. . . . But it’s too bad what’s going on.”
• “I think the [EU trade] deal she is striking is not the one people voted on, exactly. It’s a much different deal than people voted on. It was not the deal that was in the referendum.”
• “But it will definitely affect trade with the U.S., unfortunately in a negative way.”

Trump’s denial Friday echoed what the WH said late Thursday, when press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders offered this: “The president likes & respects Prime Minister May very much. As he said in his interview with the Sun, she ‘is a very good person’ & he ‘never said anything bad about her,’ " Sanders said.

But note that Sanders quoted Trump while asserting that he “never said anything bad about her.” This is what WH spokespeople do when a statement they’re tasked to deliver is ridiculous & they’d rather attribute it to Trump rather than sacrifice their own credibility.

But then Trump made the ridiculous claim himself, again. It seems likely that Trump’s complaint will focus on two words that appear inside quotation marks in the tabloid’s headline — the idea that May “wrecked it,” referring to Brexit. Those words appear neither in a quote in the story nor in the audio clips posted. If Trump said it, it’s not clear when or where.

But the other quotes listed above are completely & unmistakably critical of May. The context is one of May fighting to keep her hold on power, with Brexit-related officials like Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson resigning. With that as the backdrop, Trump is asserting that May didn’t listen to his (good) advice. He is also suggesting that she ruined relations with the U.S. by pursuing a trade deal with the EU. He says the things she is doing are not the things the British people voted for.

There is no way to characterize that except as criticism — & rather harsh criticism, at that.

I think it’s all been rather weird from a UK perspective but, perhaps, much of the confusion lies in thinking that this President would be part of any agenda other than his own.

And there are people who will believe him.

Maybe he doesn’t think disagreement and “criticism” are the same thing. Actually, neither do I, because they’re not.

As to the Sun article, I think May did blow it. The Brit voters voted to exit the EU. Ms. May is proposing a plan which would keep Britain subject to EU rules and the German migration rules some of the EU members say they won’t obey and in increasing numbers.

May opposed Brexit, and is trying to avoid actually doing it. As I understand her plan, there can’t be a U.S./Britain trade agreement because the EU could stand in the way.

Her “Brexit” is “Bremain”

Ya think?

:popcorn:

Let’s be honest here, it doesn’t matter what he’s said because he’s contradicted himself so many times, there’s no point listening.

Of course, it does no good for everyone who needs clarity but I doubt Trump would ever provide that.

God bless our president Donald Trump!

She’s trying to prevent her party from consuming itself. That’s why she triggered Article 50 before she had any kind of plan for what exiting the EU would look like. Two years on and we have a paper that is completely meaningless. Deliberately vague, completely ignores services which make up 80% of our economy. Doesn’t tell businesses what they need to know.

May only kept her job because she paid the DUP, a Northern Irish political party. Although they want Brexit, they don’t want a hard border with Ireland, which leaving the EU would have to create. So there is very little she can do. Can’t push for a hard Brexit because she hasn’t got a majority and she’ll lose if she tries. As it turns out she can’t push a softer one either because the hard Brexiteers in her party don’t like it. She is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and it’s entirely her fault.

This is why everyone quit - Cameron, Farage, Johnson, Davis. They all know it’s an impossibility and they don’t want their names attached to the sinking ship when it goes down.

Liar liar pants on fire has another Pinocchio moment…go figure

Ridgerunner . . .

Maybe he doesn’t think disagreement and “criticism” are the same thing. Actually, neither do I, because they’re not.

You beat me to it Ridgerunner.

I wouldn’t call this yet another example of fake news by The WaPo.

Just more bias and impugning President Trump’s motives.

God bless.

Cathoholic

So we hear the lengthy AUDIO CLIPS… never the whole thing???
I couldn’t get to the original WaPo article because I had to register and pay for the privilege.

Then why would the Sun reporter lie when asked directly by Donald Trump to admit that he also said nice things about May and he agreed??? I watched it for myself in real time… the reporter agreed with Donald Trump… what’s that about???

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.