Trump Didn’t Just Reinstate the Global Gag [Mexico City Policy] Rule. He Massively Expanded It

Link to Slate article. Unedifying spin on good news!

From the article: *In the past, the global gag rule meant that foreign NGOs must disavow any involvement with abortion in order to receive U.S. family planning funding. Trump’s version of the global gag rule expands the policy to all global health funding. According to Ehlers, the new rule means that rather than impacting $600 million in U.S. foreign aid, the global gag rule will affect $9.5 billion. Organizations working on AIDS, malaria, or maternal and child health will have to make sure that none of their programs involves so much as an abortion referral. Geeta Rao Gupta, a senior fellow at the United Nations Foundation who previously served as deputy executive director of UNICEF, gives the example of HIV/AIDS clinics that get U.S. funding to provide antiretrovirals: “If they’re giving advice to women on what to do if they’re pregnant and HIV positive, giving them all the options that exist, they cannot now receive money from the U.S.” *

Wow!

I expect an increase in the number of pro-life people now prepared to work in international organisations that previously had the promotion of abortion as part of their rationale.

:slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing that. Here is for all of those who said Trump wouldn’t do anything about abortion and that people were just wasting their vote.

Thank you president Trump, I wish Trump and his administration every success. The way the USA under Obama, manipulated other Countries in crisis to accept abortion was so wrong. Abortion was part of a ‘package’ deal which had to be accepted in it’s entirety.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Quite different from the previous administration forcing promotion of abortion or homosexuality as a requirement of receiving funding. Glad to hear about it.

Is Pence too old to run for president after?

I did vote for Trump in the general election, but was very much against him in the primaries. I did not trust that he would implement pro-life policies or nominate pro-life judges to the USSC. I’m very glad he is proving me wrong and I pray he continues to govern in a pro-life manner.
IOW… I’ll gladly eat my :tophat:!

As an aside, do either of you have online resources about the extortion of forcing promotion of these evils in order to get funding? I sometimes could use that info in discussions, but haven’t known where to look. You could pm me links. Thanks so much!

My apologies, It was not meant toward those like yourself. It was for those who tried to sway Trump voters who were uneasy about Trump at first to either vote third party, abstain or vote for Clinton, because they tried to say Trump was not pro-life and was just using them to get elected.

p.s. I was also nervous about Trump at first too, partly because I didn’t know much about him and partly because of everything the main stream media was saying, but as the election came closer, and I watched and learned more about Trump, his policies, support and people who surround him, it all became much clearer for me I believe.

God Bless You :slight_smile:

Thank you for reading
Josh

This thread - forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=1028181&highlight=you+are+either+in+on+it&page=2

Post #22 by CrossofChrist.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You :slight_smile:

Thank you for reading
Josh

As a conservative I’m used to being greatly let down by national Republicans. I had hoped Trump would just meet my expectations which were fairly low after a lifetime of treachery. But I’m starting to think he may well exceed my expectations. I’d have never imagined that.

I think I might be one of the people you’re talking about. I didn’t think Trump was prolife, I thought there was good evidence that he was lying about that to get the prolife vote, and when people expressed uneasiness about him in the general election I reminded them that voting third party was an option. Now I think I have an apology to make: I’m starting to think I was wrong. Sorry.

Anybody serving crow?

Pence is only 57. In 8 years, he’ll still be younger than Trump is now.

In a weird way, I’m not surprised. I don’t think Trump cares about the political fallout, and I think he does care about trimming more money from the budget. With his whole “America First” motto, foreign aid is something he’s likely only too eager to cut.

This was basically my position, except I encouraged everyone to vote Trump. I doubted Trump’s sincerity. It is possible he has learned more about the issue. It is certainly possible he’s had a change of heart. It is also possible he just wants to honor his word as much as he can. It doesn’t really matter so long as he is doing right.

Trump has no political debt. He did it on his own. Most politicians who get a high office are mired in political debt. Most are thinking about the next election. The Democrat party is opposed to him. The establishment in the GOP is opposed to him. They don’t exactly want to work with him. So he is the most free to act president in a long time and maybe ever. So far it seems like he really wants to succeed where every other Republican has failed and to put America first.

The view from the other side! Thank you!

No apologies necessary. I was vehemently opposed to Trump during the primaries and was not enthusiastic about voting for him in the general. I was enthusiastic about Hilary being defeated. I’m just glad to see I may have misjudged him.
Btw…in my original post I said I would gladly eat my hat! For those that the pic of a hat did not show

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.