Trump Downplays Duterte's Termination of Military Pact

WHITE HOUSE - President Donald Trump is downplaying the Philippine government’s notice to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) that allows American troops to train in the Southeast Asian country, saying such a move will save the U.S. “a lot of money.”

"My view is a different than other people. I view it as, ‘thank you very much, we save a lot of money,’” Trump told reporters Wednesday

"Three years ago, when ISIS was over running the Philippines, we came in and literally single-handedly were able to save them from vicious attacks on their islands,” Trump said, using an acronym for the Islamic State terror group. The U.S. president added he has “very good” relations with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

This is a tough one and, I’d say this is about “human rights”, we sanctioned one of Duterte’s officials and he did not like this. So a foreign policy blunder? Or we did the right thing and this is the outcome? And hopefully, this situation has not drawn to a close yet.

Yes, we sanctioned an official over Philippines tough crack down on crime.

This has been a long time coming. The Philippines have been cozying up to China for awhile.

Duterte has a mind of his own. China is not always pleasing to him as well.

The relationship might be up and down. He may well not care for America and one would find some anti-Americanism in the Philippines I would guess like everywhere else. I have got to think, those bases employ a lot of Filipinos who already go to Saudi Arabia and other places to work. There are actually thousands, maybe tens of thousands of Filipinos in Saudi Arabia working along with also being in other countries over there like UAE and Kuwait.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.