Trump draws praise for withdrawing transgender bathroom regulation [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Bathroom_sign_Credit_amboo_who_via_Flickr_CC_BY_SA_20_CNA_11_4_15.jpgWashington D.C., Feb 23, 2017 / 12:27 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- On Wednesday night, the Trump administration withdrew an Obama-era guidance that had directed schools to allow students to use the bathroom or locker room of the gender they currently identify with, not the facilities of their birth or biological sex.

The guidance had prompted criticism on the grounds of safety and privacy. In dropping it, the Trump administration said the policy had created too much confusion and the issue should be left up to the states.

The move was applauded by Dr. Ryan T. Anderson, William E. Simon Senior Research Fellow in American Principles and Public Policy at The Heritage Foundation.

“While we must be sensitive to the dignity, privacy, and safety concerns of people who identify as transgender, that is not a reason to ignore the dignity, privacy, and safety concerns of everyone else,” Anderson wrote in the Daily Signal.

“Unfortunately, the Obama-era policies were entirely one-sided. They favored the concerns of people who identify as transgender while entirely discounting the concerns of others.”

The decision also drew praise from Alliance Defending Freedom senior counsel Gary McCaleb.

“Student privacy in those facilities must be protected, and by restoring the right understanding of Title IX, our nation also restores common sense: School officials should be free to protect their student’s privacy, safety, and dignity,” he said.

Earlier this month, the Trump administration had announced that it would stop fighting to defend the policy in court.

Back in August, the Northern District of Texas federal court placed an injunction on the policy, halting it from going into effect. In response to the injunction, the Obama administration appealed its case to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. That appeal was dropped Feb. 10.

The guidance in question was an interpretation of Title IX of the Civil Rights Act, which forbids discrimination “on the basis of sex” within “any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

In its interpretation, the Obama administration said the Title IX anti-discrimination protections include those for gender identity, meaning that transgender students had to have access to facilities of the gender with which they identified, like single-sex locker rooms and bathrooms.

Leading U.S. bishops had expressed serious concerns with the guidance, saying that it “contradicts a basic understanding of human formation so well expressed by Pope Francis: that ‘the young need to be helped to accept their own body as it was created’.”

“Children, youth, and parents in these difficult situations deserve compassion, sensitivity, and respect,” said Bishop Richard Malone of Buffalo and Archbishop George Lucas of Omaha, chairs of the committees on youth and Catholic education, respectively.

“All of these can be expressed without infringing on legitimate concerns about privacy and security on the part of the other young students and parents. The federal regulatory guidance issued on May 13 does not even attempt to achieve this balance.”

The August injunction by the Texas district court came weeks after the U.S. Supreme Court had halted from going into effect a Fourth Circuit Court ruling that a transgender student had to be able to access the public school bathroom of their choice. The Court will still hear that case of Gavin Grimm this term.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/uivXo7sKnE0

Full article…

I read that soon after President Obama sent out his edict, an ACLU attorney, a female with children, quit the ACLU. It was bound to happen: the Left overstepping its boundaries and alienating their own.

Thank you President Trump!

Well done Mr. President!

In today’s White House press briefing it was explained that this was not a federal issue and should be left to the states. Someone from the last administration must have failed to shred every last copy of the constitution before he/she left the building.

It’s a good start, Mr. President!
Unfortunately, California will continue on it’s own merry, bizarro gender insanity way.

Exactly. This is the main reason why I’m happy about this action by Trump; he’s sending a clear message that he wants to put power back in the hands of the states, as it should be.

One side of the public will always praise decisions like this, and the other will be critical.

As for me, I’m happy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It’s really best for both sides. No one really cares who uses what bathroom unless there is a sexual assault.

I have no idea how the American political system works. Can the federal government over-ride State laws? My memory fails me but I do recall Louisiana and North Carolina refused to implement the Federal law and various companies and interest groups retaliated including the NBA which moved the All Stars weekend to New Orelans.

No worries, many Americans don’t know it works either! :blush:

First, there is no federal law. Laws have to be passed by Congress. There was (thankfully) no such law passed. There was an excective order issued by President Obama. President Trump has reversed it.

Second, the North Carolina law was a state law. The only reason it passed was because one city council (Charlotte) was going to implement a bathroom-based policy without regard for religious freedom. It was done only as a response to that and the legislature made it clear once Charlotte withdrew from it, so would they.

The NBA decided not to have the all-star game because of the state law. I have pledged since then not to watch an NBA game this season (despite being a Cavs fan).

At least we’re moving away from this policy, which is a step in the right direction.

Sexuality and Gender

Psychiatry Professor: ‘Transgenderism’ Is Mass Hysteria Similar To 1980s-Era Junk Science

Gender Ideology Harms Children

New UN LGBT Expert Doubles Down Against Religious Freedom, Describes “Entry Points” for Homosexual and Transgender Rights

Our political system works? :confused:

The article to which your third link leads has some hard science behind it-as opposed to the speculative, psychobabble pseudoscience upon which the “transgender” agenda crusaders rely, replete with its proliferation of newly minted terminology.

On some issues though I think there needs to be a uniform policy across the nation and imho this is one of them. I think transgenders should have protection by using the bathroom of their choice based on the gender they appear. A transgender female in one state might be able to use the female bathroom. But in another state be forced to use the male bathroom and be ridiculed and bullied or heaven forbid worse. That just seems very cruel and unnecessary. Hopefully another suicide does not result from Trump’s action. Especially since during the campaign he said NC should allow people to use the bathroom of their choice and it would be fine he said if Caitlyn Jenner used the woman’s restroom at Trump Tower. I wouldn’t know a transgender person was using a stall unless I got on my knees and crawled around peeking under stalls which I certainly don’t do and I certainly won’t know when washing hands at the sink.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-caitlyn-jenner-bathroom-tower/story?id=38566263

No one is going to be forced to do anything. The premises of the law are religious freedom protection and extra dis-incentive against sexual assault, not outing transgender people for not following some cultural protocol.

Well that much is true.

Is it just bathrooms though? Aren’t locker rooms and where there are showers also part of this? These are places where people could be in partial or even full state of undress. These type of places could already make people feel very insecure and unprotected and to add to the mix to allow people in who are biological men and/or women into an opposite gender room, could make a lot of people feel very uncomfortable, especially those who have been victims of abuse.

There have been victims of sex abuse who have admirably come forward to speak out in regards to a policy in Washington: dailysignal.com/2016/01/25/sexual-assault-victims-speak-out-against-washingtons-transgender-bathroom-policies/

I think the Corradi article is cogent as well, by and large, except for his rather narrow and secular analysis of asceticism. I agree that asceticism is characterized by anhedonism, but to suggest that it is synonymous with asexuality in the way he argues it is misleading. He is also obviously unaware of litugical asceticism, which is something all liturgical church Christians should practice, they relatively few do. In sum, asceticism has a much broader scope of meaning than his usage suggests.

To the "transgender"agenda crusaders, the needs of the (very) few outweigh the needs of the many.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.