Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers

Making good on a promise to slash government, President-elect Trump has asked his incoming team to pursue spending and staffing cuts.

And insiders said that the spending reductions in some departments could go as high as 10 percent and staff cuts to 20 percent, numbers that would rock Washington if he follows through.

At least two so-called “landing teams” in Cabinet agencies have relayed the call for cuts as part of their marching orders to shrink the flab in government.

The cuts would target discretionary spending, not mandated programs such as Medicare or Social Security, the sources said.

washingtonexaminer.com/boom-trump-eyes-10-spending-cuts-20-slash-of-federal-workers/article/2612037

This is great, its about time we shrank the size of how many people are employed by the federal government. Now if states and cities do the same thing the economy will grow by 5% yearly. Those losing their jobs will find jobs in the private sector.

I can barely wait. :smiley:

Part of me is a little sad-- as a librarian, I was a municipal employee. As a secretary, I was a municipal employee. My family does work for places like NASA and other government entities.

But then I remember articles like “21,995,000 to 12,329,000: Government Employees Outnumber Manufacturing Employees 1.8 to 1” and “US Government Now Has Nearly As Many Employees as ALL Fortune 500 Companies COMBINED” and think, “Wellllllll… yeah.”

We live in an isolated, rural town with a fragile economy. If one of our major employers was to close, it would be devastating to our area. So when we drive through urban areas, we’re always looking at the stores and shops and offices and things, trying to figure out what gets produced that keeps that area affluent and economically viable. And… there’s not a whole lot of production that’s actually happening. Half the businesses seem to either be restaurants/entertainment or nails/spa. :wink:

We need to shift from being so consumer-driven. And I think government the way it is now is the very definition of being consumers.

Awesome…maybe my husband will get laid off by the fed and we’ll be on the streets…yay firing people…:mad:

Awesome,go President Trump!
Disclaimer my dad was a gov’t employee worked for the defense Contract AuditvAgency.My delight over the pruning of the federal gov’t is not a personal attack on the employees.

With an economy growing at 5% your husband and you wont be on the streets.

And how to you have a healthy economy that isnt consumer driven?

He could start by eliminating at least three or more Cabinet positions.

Oh wait, that’s what Perry suggested.

He’d have no complaints from me.

Consumer spending is the effect of a healthy economy. It doesn’t cause it on its own.

I can still imagine Perry being shown an empty room and curiously asking, Where’s my desk? Immediately being told, Oh, we took your advice!

When I first heard that appointment, I was suspicious someone was trying to get SNL to focus their attention on someone but Trump. Heh

But in all seriousness, Perry will probably do well in his post.

And the only untouched area will probably be the government’s largest program: the military.

What does your husband do as work for the Federal Government?

I just hope Trump runs the Fed Gov like a business and makes the workers accountable. Today is almost impossible to be fired from a federal job.

My point exactly. I am so thankful that I live in a country that uses capitalism for it economic system.

For all you know Perry accepted the post with the intent of ending it.

I’d say the US is a mixed economy that vacillates towards and away from a free market economy.

That seems unlikely.

Agree!:thumbsup:
Also,in the private sector,re vacation time,either you use it or you lose it.A gov’t employee has the option of saving that time up then getting the money when retirement come.That’s what my dad did.I think this is yet another burden on the taxpayer .Additinally the ability of gov’t employees to double dip ie disability and a pension.We personally knew of a postal worker who had figured out a way to work the system monetarily.Needless to say,we ended that friendship when we found this out about him.He would brag about how clever he was.Not saying this is the rule,could be the exception in his case.However,that he even was allowed to do this in the first place is problematic.

Cheering as people are about to lose their jobs is so cold and heartless.

Where is the empathy here?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.