Trump family’s elaborate lifestyle is a ‘logistical nightmare’ — at taxpayer expense

On Friday, President Trump and his entourage headed for the third straight weekend to his oceanfront Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, Fla.

On Saturday, Trump’s sons Eric and Don Jr., with their Secret Service details in tow, will be nearly 8,000 miles away in the United Arab Emirates, attending the grand opening of a Trump-brand golf resort in the “Beverly Hills of Dubai.”

Meanwhile, New York police will keep watch outside Trump Tower in Manhattan, the chosen home of first lady Melania Trump and son Barron. And the tiny township of Bedminster, N.J., is preparing for the daunting prospect that the local Trump golf course will serve as a sort of northern White House for as many as 10 weekends a year.

Barely a month into the Trump presidency, the unusually elaborate lifestyle of America’s new first family is straining the Secret Service and security officials, stirring financial and logistical concerns in several local communities, and costing far beyond what has been typical for past presidents — a price tag that, based on past assessments of presidential travel and security costs, could balloon into the hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of a four-year term.

Adding to the costs and complications is Trump’s inclination to conduct business surrounded by crowds of people, such as last weekend while Mar-a-Lago members dined nearby.

Trump’s three Mar-a-Lago trips since the inauguration have probably cost the federal treasury about $10 million.

This month, The Post reported that Secret Service and U.S. Embassy staffers paid nearly $100,000 in hotel-room bills to support Eric Trump’s trip to promote a Trump-brand condo tower in Uruguay.

For Trump, the costs come with an additional perk: Some of the money flows into his own pocket. While Trump has removed himself from managing his company, he has refused to divest his ownership, meaning that he benefits from corporate successes such as government contracts.

The Defense Department and Secret Service, for instance, have sought to rent space in Trump Tower, where leasing a floor can cost $1.5 million a year — though neither agency has disclosed any details. In addition, Trump’s travel to his signature properties while trailed by a press corps beaming images to the world allows the official business of the presidency to double as marketing opportunities for his brand.

Trump’s frequent travel belies his repeated criticism of Obama as a “habitual vacationer” enjoying taxpayer-funded golf getaways. It also comes after his own promises: He told the Hill newspaper in 2015, “I would rarely leave the White House because there’s so much work to be done.”

Judicial Watch estimated that Obama-related travel expenses totaled nearly $97 million over eight years.

But based on the first four weeks, Trump’s presidency appears on track to cost hundreds of millions of dollars more.

washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-familys-elaborate-lifestyle-a-logistical-nightmare–at-taxpayer-expense/2017/02/16/763cce8e-f2ce-11e6-a9b0-ecee7ce475fc_story.html?utm_term=.5d6660d8553a

and I am sure Judicial Watch will stay on top of this story.

I wouldn’t worry too much about these extravagant expenses … at the rate we are going we are headed for Civil War 2.0 and/or for Trump’s assassination (which will be cheered by the same people who have hosted the UC Berkley riots, vulgar women’s marches, and all sorts of other protests, riots, smashed windows, burnt vehicles, vicious assaults, etc.)

At that point, I suspect the stock market will tank … and Martial Law will be put into place. Business and commerce will come to a grinding halt. Good luck finding food at the grocery store. Pensions – wiped out because the market crashed. Good luck traveling anywhere. Life as we know it will never again be the same.

But hey, it’s all for a good cause, right? We, the left, hate Trump so much that we welcome a scorched earth policy. If you burn down America, you won’t have to worry about a President you don’t like. Not.My.President – right? Apparently Not.My.America either. A house divided will fall … Color Revolution. Purple anyone.

So now Trump is profiting from his presidency.

I don’t see how this doesn’t constitute a grave conflict of interest.

He is going to be impeached. If the Republican members of Congress don’t or won’t see the writing on the wall, 2018 is going to be a bad year for them.

And 2020 will be worse.

Hey, it’s your money too so if it’s wrong then don’t give the guy a pass and say something. Petition the government to reign him in now. We have a right to seek redress of grievances and it is something that this nation was founded upon.

Quit beating that leftist straw man and show some American patriotic spine. This guy’s not doing a good job and all this free pass stuff does exactly nothing to make America great again as promised.

His family needs to delegate all these foreign business trips that we are all paying for. Why the hell isn’t the government billing Trump enterprises for these costs since they are not related to the government? I bet if they did this foolishness would come to screeching halt.

This guy has flaunted his violation of the Emoluments Clause of the constitution and anyone who gives him a pass on this is naive at best or blind at worst.http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/bf-wakeupyelll.gif

Hey, he was duly elected, and people knew or should have known what they were getting.

ICXC NIKA

So, how many extravagant vacations did President Obama take?

He took MANY…to the tune of $97 Million over 8 years apparently. But that didn’t seem to bother liberals then. It appears at the rate Trump is going, he’ll far surpass that.

This news will encourage Democrats to revolt and Republicans to not really take notice. This news doesn’t really change anything.

I mean, really. Democrats are outraged by this but aren’t outraged by the astronomical bloating of our national debt under Obama? :shrug:

To be honest, if Trump triples his secret service expense…let’s say $300 million, while at the same time reduces the national debt…I’d do the math and figure Trump was better at controlling costs despite the secret service increases. With that said, the proof will be in the pudding.

After only one month … yesterday was the one month anniversary … seems longer, doesn’t it … , I don’t think we can make any reasonable conclusions about his “elaborate” lifestyle.

President Trump has done some interesting things … huge number of meetings with foreign heads of state … and they flew here! At their own dime!

Remember that President Obama used to make long duration trips to Saudi Arabia and Egypt and other distant places. And he and his wife often took separate airplanes and made separate trips.

In addition, Congress has decided to “slow walk” President Trump’s cabinet appointments, so basically he has to run the whole government by himself until the Senate gets around to approving his cabinet members.

What President Trump CAN DO is to reduce the size of the government executive branch and reallocate the money saved.

If the Senate will not give him the assistants he needs … his cabinet … then he can just start chopping. OR, President Trump could reassign executive branch staff … so that Energy Department or Interior Department people could be temporarily transferred to the office in McAllen Texas to reinforce the Border Patrol and INS.

He could also conduct early retirement programs to reduce head count. And reallocate the money saved.

The longer that the Democrats in the Senate play games such as refusing to allow a quorum or to insist on discussing each point ad infinitum … in 1970, one of the next door neighbors of one of the appointees parents lived in a town that hired an illegal to assist in trash pickup and recycling … if they drag out the process as part of “The Resistance”, then Trump will have to do the work himself … visiting Charleston, South Carolina … or having his adult children help out.

Seems to me that the Secret Service had to rent space from Bill Clinton when they provided security at the Clinton’s place in Chappaqua, NY.

Is Obama the standard for morality? One thing we can conclude is that no matter who we would have elected, we would have an elitist who is out of touch with the typical middle class citizen.

Just another “Look how horrible Trump is” hit piece.

If they didn’t charge the Secret Service or paid for the trip, they’d be complaining about “Trumps ingratiating himself so when he’s impeached they won’t arrest him” or some such non-sense.

Just stop it.

Back the President because he’s the leader and work for the betterment of the country. When real stuff comes up, we’ll discuss it then.

You should learn how to read an electoral map. Democrats have to defend 10 Senate seats in states Trump won in 2018. It’s much more likely that Democrats are going to have a bad 2018.

And, what high crime has Trump committed that warrants impeachment? People that were talking about impeachment even before he assumed office have a very loose grasp on reality.

If the Republicans manage to provide a reasonable solution for the ACA it may be a very bad 2018 for the Democrats. If they don’t, things could get very interesting.

Now this story about the Trump boys might start real trouble. Authorities are investigating whether on their last African hunting trip they killed a Triceratops.

“If this turns out to have merit, it may start the unwinding of their fathers Administration just a few short weeks into it. It is not known if the Secret Service needed to pay the outfitter to protect Mr. Trumps family”.

I heard the Secret Service had to pay for agents to go on a Safari where the boys secretly killed a Triceratops. Wonder how much that cost!

They’re wetting themselves over every bit of fake news that comes out, so sure; why not?

How is President Trump profiting from this?

One thing that gets lost in this discussion is that the level of protection for the Trump family is more than what we have seen in prior presidencies due to the violent protests that began before he even took office. Specifically, the additional security for their home in NYC is largely to keep the area clear for the safety of other residents and those doing business in the neighborhood.

The Trump family is the first in recent memory to include working adults AND a school age child. That is a complicated security situation regardless of who the individuals are since it involves multiple physical locations.

You forgot about the time machine they had to use tax payer dollars to create first!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.