Trump gave Putin the 'gift of the century' (Destroy NATO) in plain sight while the FBI probed

Rome burns, GOP fiddles.

3 Likes

Entangling alliances dragged Europe in a world war. We should avoid their mistakes. Making NATO members pay their fair share of the costs is reasonable. We are not the world police.

2 Likes

Seventy years of peace is exactly the right reason to undermine the most important alliance in human history. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

For most of that time our allies acted like allies, they did contribute to their defense.

Our allies are the only ones ‘destroying NATO’

3 Likes

The alliance served its purpose. We no longer face the threat of the USSR. It is time to evaluate the situation as it stands now, not through the lens of outdated paradigms.

Peace is priceless. We are getting a bargain. Giving that murderer Putin what he wants is utterly un-American.

1 Like

What makes it outdated? It works.

For whom? Not us. We have no reason to keep fighting the forever war in the Middle East. We are not going to be attacked by a conventional enemy in the near future.

If peace were priceless, we wouldn’t have been disabling our nuclear stockpiles, which most experts I’ve read agreed was a major factor in keeping that peace.

So while in theory it is priceless, countries have a history of balking when it comes time to pay the price.

And as mentioned, we have heard, especially from the left, that we are not the world’s police. So neither we are, or we aren’t, but honest folks cannot have it both ways.

1 Like

It works for the U.S. and our allies. We are not attacked because it WORKS.

1 Like

Source? Mutually assured nuclear destruction was never a good idea.

We are not attacked because logistics and nukes render a convention 3rd generation war unwinnable.

1 Like

So your argument is that the US should foot all the bill??
Only if we can tax the EU for ‘their fair share’ :laughing:

If I recall, you don’t even live in the US.

2 Likes

Show me where I made that argument?

Strawman…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

You are mistaking me for someone else.

1 Like

Why should Putin be left out in the cold and why should our trading “partners” ( who do not even pay their fair share of NATO) be allowed to cheat us?

Because he is a murdering despot.

1 Like

Lots of governments murder people.

They fought to keep their homelands safe from foreign invasion. That danger is past.

1 Like

Thanks to NATO.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.