Trump has concealed details of his face-to-face encounters with Putin from senior officials in administration

President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States’ main adversaries.

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is thought to be in the final stages of an investigation that has focused largely on whether Trump or his associates conspired with Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign. The new details about Trump’s continued secrecy underscore the extent to which little is known about his communications with Putin since becoming president.

1 Like

5 Likes

Just show one vote that was changed through interference and you’ll have something to look at.

3 Likes

Not necessary…he’s on his way down and changed vote counts are the least of Donnie’s worries…it goung to be all about money and using the solemn office for personal gain…he won’t be indicted until he loses in 2020 or term limits out in 24, so he’ll resign in exchange for immunity.

2 Likes

I’ve heard this particular bit of your set before in other posts. You also say it’s a solemn office yet continue to call the person elected to it with disparaging names. Very odd.

3 Likes

I knew it! A Manchurian Candidate! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is hardly unusual, and there have been too many leaks by current and former officials.

More Trump Derangement Syndrome.

8 Likes

I have a theory about what went on at his secret meeting with President Putin. It goes something like this;
President Trump to Putin, “I would like to thank you for all the help you gave to my campaign. If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to ask.”
President Putin to Trump “You are right, friends should help one another. Here is what I want you to do…”
The meeting which was planned for 1/2 an hour went on for more than two hours while Putin tells Donald Trump what he wants.

1 Like

This is totally unusually, and iti s shocking, through not surprising.

Hardly, hardly unusual…records and transcripts, schedules and memos have long been part of the public record and archives of a Presidential administration…Presidential Libraries and the National Archives are full of them.

If he didn’t want a record, he should not have had an interpreter or aid taking notes…once they did, they were on the record, and they should be made available.

I seem to remember a President who recorded phone calls and oval office conversations, and he decided to delete one that had the potential to be damning…and justice was served…an official like Donnie who already has an established problem with truth telling and trust who arrogantly holds back such records will have nobody to blame himself when he faces the ire of the electorate or the justice system.

1 Like

Which was what? Be specific here. What exactly did Putin give Trump that directly affected the outcome of the election? I’m open minded, persuade me.

Why stop fantasizing there? What has Trump given or done for Putin or Russia?

Two questions:

1. What crime has Trump committed?
    And if there isn’t one
    2: What basis is there for an investigation?
2 Likes

His continual lying and impetuous decision making makes him suspect and warrants, at least, an investigation.

1 Like

Wouldn’t preventing the translator from filing the notes be a violation of the law?

I’m no lawyer, but I don’t think lying, if proven, is a crime unless you are under oath.

If impetuousness is a crime my little nephew better lawyer up.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know but something tells me if it was charges would have been filed by now. Seems there are some folks really desperate to see Trump in jail.

2 Likes

Interesting…so while your nephew’s impetuousness might be because of his lack of maturity, in raising children, should we teach them that lying is not an issue unless we swear them in?

The words of Christ in Matthew 5:37 come to mind:
Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

I was only pointing out that impetuousness was not a crime worthy of a criminal investigation, as you implied.

That teaching of Christ is clearly something to strive for. But it doesn’t mean a criminal probe is warranted everytime someone fails to live up to it.

What crime has Trump committed?

1 Like

Unknown until investigated…if investigation is denied, who knows…its an opportunity for vindication as much as it is for guilt…but the more him and his apologists protest, the more suspicious it becomes.

Don’t you find that disturbing? No crime is apparent but an investigation is opened just on the off chance they find one. Is that how you want our criminal justice system to work? Sounds like something from the files of the KGB.

4 Likes

So this is supposed to be concerning because a president who, as a candidate, was spied on by the FBI is worried that he can’t trust people in the government? This is supposed to be worrying because a president can’t trust a government that for years has intercepted every phone call and email of every citizen? This is supposed to be worrying because we have open government even though the government hides most important things it does by labeling them secret and records of events like the Kennedy assasination which happened before I was born are still hidden? I don’t see how anyone could be outraged.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.