Trump: ‘I can put up $200 million if I want’ for a gubernatorial campaign

… As he announced a Jan. 31 trip to Buffalo, his first upstate exploration of a run against Democratic incumbent Andrew M. Cuomo, the Manhattan real estate mogul told The Buffalo News he can more than match the $33 million that the governor’s campaign reported on hand this week.

buffalonews.com/city-region/albany-politics/trump-8216i-can-put-up-200-million-if-i-want8217-for-a-gubernatorial-campaign-20140116

If this is the best the NY GOP can offer, we are in big trouble. We need a viable candidate, not a spectacle.

Trump is, to me, an often obnoxious character. But he does know business, and I suspect he could do a lot to cut waste and fraud and improve efficiencies. I can’t even begin to imagine Cuomo having similar abilities.

Why does he have to does to Erie. I don’t want my hometown to be the center of some political show

Seems to me that what has been done thus far is not working. Time for a businessman to come in and clean up the mess, spectacle or not.

No doubt he has the business know how and being governor is all about being a good executive; however, my concern is that there is too great of a side show aspect to Trump and his life, and that is going to turn off a lot of voters.

I am not sure that a businessman’s skills would necessarily help in the case of a state like New York. To be successful in a state like that you have to have a real good awareness of what you can and cannot do. I had a dean a number of years ago and came in and started making decisions that would make sense from a business point of view. The problem is, he violated a number of union rules and in so doing he ended up spending the whole first year fighting off grievances. The upper administration then let him go after one year. To be successful in New York would require a bit of nuance in his behavior that I am not sure Trump is capable of.

Back in 2011, Donald Trump did say he was pro life:

blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/archive/2011/04/08/brody-file-exclusive-donald-trump-explains-pro-life-conversion.aspx

As a PP noted, business skills do not necessarily translate well to the public sector. Every top executive I’ve ever known has ruled by fiat. In government you accomplish things by working with the other side and reaching compromise, skills I doubt that The Donald possesses, or would want to.

Also, he seems a bit gullible - that whole birth certificate thing.

Donald the birther. What a great choice. :rolleyes:

I’'m not even sure he’s such a stellar businessman. I believe it’s been reported (though he hotly denies this) that he’s declared bankruptcy several times. And at this stage of his career many of his business deals involve licensing his name to buildings and golf courses, etc. not actually developing them.

Let the clown show begin!!!

:popcorn:

Cuomo: ‘Extreme conservatives … have no place in the state of New York’

In conversation with Susan Arbetter on “The Capitol Pressroom” Friday morning, Cuomo said:

You have a schism within the Republican Party. … They’re searching to define their soul, that’s what’s going on. Is the Republican party in this state a moderate party or is it an extreme conservative party? That’s what they’re trying to figure out. It’s a mirror of what’s going on in Washington. The gridlock in Washington is less about Democrats and Republicans. It’s more about extreme Republicans versus moderate Republicans.

… You’re seeing that play out in New York. … The Republican Party candidates are running against the SAFE Act — it was voted for by moderate Republicans who run the Senate! Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

If they’re moderate Republicans like in the Senate right now, who control the Senate — moderate Republicans have a place in their state. George Pataki was governor of this state as a moderate Republican; but not what you’re hearing from them on the far right.”

The governor’s suggestion that, for example, those who hold anti-abortion views have no place in the state prompted Dennis Poust, spokesman for the state Catholic Conference, to observe on Twitter, “My governor thinks there’s no place in NY for people like me. Can I get a state grant to relocate?” (And where to — New Hampshire, maybe?)

blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/203801/cuomo-extreme-conservatives-have-no-place-in-the-state-of-new-york

Well, Trump certainly knows how to get banks to lend to him, not to mention working the country’s bankruptcy laws to his advantage. I wouldn’t lend him a nickel.

That may turn off voters, but not as much as the fact that he is a Republican.

Be afraid New York, be very afraid…:smiley:

If there is anyone to fear, it’s the new mayor in NYC

Could you imagine a clown like The Donald in a position of actual power?

Surely the good people of NY have enough decency to kick this one into the Hudson…

I can’t imagine a clown like Bill DeBlasio being in a position of power, but he is.

For all of you citing his “business acumen” (quotes denote sarcasm), answer me this:

The man can come up with $200 million for a political, but can’t do anything about his hair? Why is that?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.