Trump - I disagree with 'send her back' chant

President Donald Trump has disavowed the “send her back” chants directed at Democratic congresswoman Ilhan Omar by his supporters at a campaign rally.

Ms Omar is a US citizen who emigrated from Somalia with her family after fleeing the country’s civil war.

The chants, which came after Mr Trump criticised Ms Omar and three other congresswomen, were widely condemned, including by some Republicans.

"I was not happy with it. I disagree with it," Mr Trump said of the chant.

"It was quite a chant and I felt a little bit badly about it," Mr Trump told reporters on Thursday. "I started speaking very quickly but it started up rather fast, as you probably noticed."

1 Like

When asked for further comment, the response was “I know you are but what am I?”

Seriously, this is the sort of high-minded exchange that passes for Statesmanship.

1 Like

Trump had an opportunity at the rally itself to show some statesmanship and say, “here now guys, that’s not on - we shouldn’t be speaking this way about a member of congress and a fellow citizen. Her politics are extreme (in my opinion). Chant about them all you like. But not her herself”.

He didn’t. He not only passively abetted but allowed them to keep going and seemed to be enthusiastically going along with it.

That said, at least he has retrospectively realised that the rally chants were a disgrace, unlike some of his online followers who have defended this racist mob baying and scapegoating - even comparing it to something as innocuous as baseball fans.

1 Like

I’ll take anything as a positive step, and even a modest rebuke of those who supported Trump’s initial tweets. Is it too little? Probably. But at least I feel that Trump realizes there are lines that shouldn’t be crossed, even in partisan attacks. It strikes me there are enough things to question Omar about without this kind of nativist nonsense.

2 Likes

you seem to have a rather low bar for enthusiasm

1 Like

Trump cutting bait.

Yes, I feel like the world returns a little more to normal with this move.

EVEN IF you thought it was the correct sentiment, it seems to me using this sort of phrasiology distracts from many of the crazy things she says and stands for, and undercuts opposition to her. The focus should be what she has said (from Trump’s perspective), not on his rebuke of what she said, strategically.

He would do well to avoid this sort of thing and let them speak for themselves.

2 Likes

I saw earlier today someone referencing Mccain showing a good example of respectful politics at one of his rallies when a woman said she didnt trust Obama because he was ‘an Arab’.

His response was along the lines of:

''No ma’am, He’s a decent family man, a citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues, and that’s what this campaign is all about. He is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as President. If I didn’t think I’d be one heck of a better President I wouldn’t be running, and that’s the point. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments, I will respect him. I want everyone to be respectful, and let’s make sure we are. Because that’s the way politics should be conducted in America.”

A good reminder in this current climate.

6 Likes

The chant of ‘send her back’ was different to what Trumps tweet said.

Quite frankly I don’t think she should have been let into America in the first place and I think she is a disgraceful human being who uses her race to castigate the people who gave her residency. But once giving her citizenship, absent anything extreme like committing terrorism or treason then the chant of send her back is not something in the real world that should have support.

Trump was right to disagree with the chant and he is right to criticize those who would wish to twist his tweet into meaning something of the same vein.

2 Likes

This is why apologies fo not work. Even if he apologizes or comments that this he does not like that. Does not matter. Orange man bad. lol

3 Likes

I imagine Vouthon and a few other readers may be quietly giggling like me every time you type Orangeman as well…

3 Likes

why? …

But it is quite clear what message his followers got.

But did he disagree with it at the time? It seems he paused for a good 10-12 seconds to let them go on. That is not a very good indication of “disagreeing”.

Because I don’t think mass migration of refugees to the west from place like Somalia solves any long term problems but it creates them.

1 Like

I’d suggest that the message they are following is from the hysterical antics of the Leftist media and their reaction is a big ‘stuff you’ to that reaction. Does anyone think the chant of ‘send her back’ would be there if the Leftist media didn’t go ape s*** over it? Therefore it is a reaction to the message ‘created’ by Left wing media more than the actual tweet itself.

I haven’t seen this video but from what you say this seems a fair criticism. He did make known his disagreement though and his tweet and remarks make no allusion to Trump sending any of the four anywhere, that is clear.

1 Like

Sure he has…like his claim that “soon” there will be a health care plan proposal, or any number of his promises that have not materialized and have only served to deflect statements that we from the south say are examples of an “alligator mouth overloading a hummingbird behind”!

1 Like

I agree 100% with your comments👍

That seems to be a change of tune.

A change of tune from what?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.