Trump: I will mandate death penalty for killing police officers

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump on Thursday vowed to issue an executive order to mandate the death penalty for anyone who kills a police officer.

“One of the first things I’d do in terms of executive order, if I win, will be to sign strong, strong statement that would go out to the country, out to the world, anybody killing policeman police woman, police officer, anybody killing police officer, the death penalty is going to happen,” he said.

“We can’t let this go,” he added, speaking to a New Hampshire crowd alongside the New England Police Benevolent Association, shortly after the group voted to endorse Trump.

Trump referenced the 2014 shooting of two New York City police officers in their squad car, which prompted significant outcry from some conservatives accusing President Obama of fostering resentment against police officers.

thehill.com/homenews/campaign/262897-trump-i-will-mandate-death-penalty-for-killing-police-officers

No, I believe the death penalty should only be used in extreme cases. It shouldn’t be completely outlawed, but it shouldn’t be used on every guy who kills a cop, just lock the guy up for life.

Trump also receives an endorsement from a Police Union, I myself will not vote for the death penalty and it is interesting, one could look at articles on Clinton, Sanders, Cruz, Paul and so on down the line, how many polls are appended to articles on them?:

whdh.com/story/30723426/trump-receives-police-endorsement-greeted-by-protesters

Trump receives police endorsement; greeted by protesters

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (WHDH) -

Donald Trump received more than just a police endorsement upon his arrival to New Hampshire.

The event, supposed to be private, instead turned into a very public protest.

The endorsement comes as Trump remains under fire for his controversial proposal to ban Muslims from entering the U.S.

People protested outside the event, chanting things like, “Trump is Hitler.” At the event, a New England police union unanimously voted to endorse trump.

If elected, Trump said anyone who kills and officer, would get the death penalty.

The union says despite Trump’s controversial comments on Muslims, he has its full support.

“This isn’t a religious thing. This is a law enforcement… we all bleed blue, so I’m not gonna get into that rhetoric. That’s ridiculous.”

Others at the event, didn’t quite share the same feelings, “The things I’ve heard Donald Trump say on his campaign, they’re racist, intolerance is so
disgusting that I can’t sit home and do nothing.”

Unless it’s a federal crime, what does the president have to do with the death penalty?Would he make killing a police officer a federal crime? What justification does he have for making it a federal crime?

He’s going to rule by fiat like our friend “I’ve got a pen” Obama?

The Federal gov’t doesn’t have jurisdiction over murder (unless it happens on a military base or Indian reservation). The states are perfectly capable of deciding whether they want to impose the death penalty and on whom.

Agree.

What would happen in states that don’t have capital punishment?

Besides, the man who shot the two officers in NY, committed suicide.

Am I the only one who finds it problematic that a person who is running for president believes it possible to mandate killing criminals with a “strong, strong statement”?

A President cannot mandate a death penalty. Mr. Trump knows this, but he is an expert at getting free publicity.

Threats of executive order so soon? :slight_smile:

^^^These.

I have no problems with mandating the death penalty for killing law enforcement officers; those who know me from these forums know that I support capital punishment for certain crimes. However, I cannot condemn Obama for his use of executive orders as a tool for working around the legislative branch without criticizing the Donald for threatening to do the same thing.

I disagree with Mr Trump here, but this certainly won’t turn me against him (I also disagree with Paul and Cruz on a few things, but maintain a high opinion of them) If he want’s to be consistent he should simply have come out in favor of the death penalty for anyone convicted of 1st degree murder. I don’t like the idea of putting police in a specially protected category. And to be honest, we’ve probably had a few cops over the years who should be executed as well.

This is just tough talk on Trump’s part, which takes its place together with his call for the construction of walls to keep out illegal immigrants, the banning of Muslims, and virtually everything else that Trump has spoken about. It is designed to appeal to those supporters who are fearful that the country is losing the battle for law and order in an increasingly chaotic and violent climate. And Trump realizes that fear is a major motivator. Whether he is in fact serious and willing to push for such legislation should he become President is quite a different matter. I do not take most politicians at their word, and Trump even less than most.

The border wall? Muslims? Trump supporters?

Thanks for staying on topic! :rotfl:

You’re welcome. The topics are connected with regard to Trump in their appeal to fear.

Oh, Trump is appealing to fear? :rolleyes:

Indeed he is. His statements are all focused on appealing to people’s fear of violence. I’m not certain how much of what he says he actually believes but I do think he knows exactly what he’s doing.

Trump received an endorsement of a Police Union.

It must be the first time a politician ever pandered to a special interest group.

I think that Trump is not tapping into the fear of America, but into the anger of America.

Most certainly, much of his rhetoric relies on that to further the narrative he has set up. Such as talk about no-go zones in cities he does not seem very familiar with.

Normally this is handled locally. Not really a federal issue. It is left up to the District Attorney and in states that have the death penalty, almost 100% of the time the DA will go for it unless there has been a plea for some good reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.