Trump: Joe Biden Will Pack SCOTUS and ‘Shred Your 2nd Amendment’

Trump: Joe Biden Will Pack SCOTUS and ‘Shred Your 2nd Amendment’

CLEVELAND, OHIO - SEPTEMBER 29: Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden participates in the first presidential debate against U.S. President Donald Trump at the Health Education Campus of Case Western Reserve University on September 29, 2020 in Cleveland, Ohio. This is the first of three planned debates between the two candidates …

Morry Gash-Pool/Getty Images

AWR HAWKINS

16 Oct 2020

During his Friday rally in Macon, Georgia, President Donald Trump warned that Joe Biden would use an election victory to stack to the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) and “shred” the Second Amendment.

Trump talked about Biden’s ABC News town hall, saying, “Last night, Biden refused to rule out court packing.” He then suggested Biden could increase the number of SCOTUS justices to “16, 17, 18 people,” all of whom will be “radical left judges who will shred your Second Amendment, disarm law-abiding citizens, and protect terrorists and violent criminals.” . . .

. . . the radical left in general, saying, “They have nothing but disdain for you and your values.” . . .

. . . They want to end your Second Amendment, but they want protection for themselves,” adding, “They demonize our great police and law enforcement while hiring private security for themselves. They attack the Second Amendment every single day while employing armed guards.” . . .

He’s sounding desperate.

3 Likes

It would indeed sound desperate, if it weren’t true.

7 Likes

I spent most of the Obama presidency being told “Obama’s going to confiscate all your guns!!!”

Yawn.

3 Likes

So, basically, you can shape the Court and the Federal judiciary by legally not bringing the other party’s nominees up for hearings and votes, but you can’t legally expand the number of the people on the Court.

You can pick nominees who will, you hope, rule in favor of your policies and beliefs, but the other side can’t do that.

I think I understand now.

1 Like

Remember conservatives ran this trope in 2008? Not only was it not true, it caused some naive individuals to take negative actions. We had two cops die in Pittsburgh because a youth thought Obama was coming to confiscate his guns.

This scare stuff already was old and now is played out.

3 Likes

You and I are not even American Maximian and as others point out I remember this trope being played out before, this appeal to the rawest end of US patriotism (If you can call it that) is nothing new. That sad, I still think he will win, albeit with a vastly reduced majority.

He tried but the GOP senate had better sense

I don’t think you do,

Adding justices is not the same thing as filling a vacancy

Yet many Democratic states outlaw/restrict the vague assault gun. Biden will do the same if he gets complete control

How many executive orders did Obama create against guns, he tried his best

1 Like

That is completely inaccurate. Obama came into office saying that new gun control laws was not a legislative priority for him. He responded to several tragic incidents but never tried to confiscate guns.

You’ll have to ask Regan and George Bush about that – they favored the law.

Both are using legal means to gain an advantage.

No, Obama did not try to “confiscate all our guns.” If you disagree with things he did do, that’s your right. But there’s no need for fake bogeymen.

He is not going to pack the court. I would place a large wager on that one. The Republicans will have a 6-3 majority appointees in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

As the saying goes, “you are known by the company you keep”. With Harris, and Bernie, and AOC in the mix, Biden will do as he is told.

And the 3 will be blamed for keeping abortion legal in the U.S.

He wanted to ban guns but didn’t have the support which he tried to overcome with his executive orders. This is history, look up the orders.

Even the early NRA favored some things before the realization that the ultimate goal is banning all guns, pushed one law at a time. Read the early banners own words.

Yet, they are not the same.

He had supported confiscating guns since he was in state government. Read his history, it is in writing. He wanted to but didn’t have the support. His gun control was limited to his executive orders, limited by the senate. obama did stop some guns from coming into the country which were only military surplus.

Don’t confuse his lack of ability with his intent as defined by his history

1 Like

There is but one president. There is no “mix”. These last four years, with all the discussion of Trump, there has been little of Pence. The VP is not an active part of most administrations. Biden did not do stuff anymore in the Obama administration that Pence has been any sort of force behind Trump. Likewise, a losing candidate, his VP, and some junior congressperson has considerable less power than you are giving them credit for. Only one of them will even be a senator, and the part of any confirmation.

Don’t confuse NRA fundraiser pleas with Obama’s actual actions.

Have you read the platform? I would accept your idea if Biden were a man in good health, but quite obviously he is not. I hope I don’t have to tell you “I told you so”. in the future.

And don’t forget Beto the gun czar!

No, that is an inaccurate rumor based on a toss-off answer to a survey. He never in his public service career tried to confiscate or ban guns.

If you research that conservative trope you can see if for what it is. You shouldn’t repeat rumors like that.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.