Trump keeps DACA but chips away at barriers to deportation

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Trump administration on Tuesday delivered its most explicit embrace yet of Obama-era protections for young undocumented immigrants – while at the same time issuing new rules that immigration advocates fear effectively chips away at the previous barriers to deportation.

Newly released memos from the Department of Homeland Security leave intact two specific executive orders from President Barack Obama that granted protection from prosecution for so-called Dreamers, young immigrants who were brought to the US as children, and a second one that included parents of US citizens and legal residents…

…“We’re gonna show great heart,” Trump said in a news conference last week. “DACA is a very, very difficult subject for me, I will tell you.”

But he also spoke of possible abuses of the DACA program.

“To me, it’s one of the most difficult subjects I have because you have these incredible kids, in many cases, not in all cases. And some of the cases, having DACA and they’re gang members and they’re drug dealers, too. But you have some absolutely, incredible kids, I would say mostly. They were brought here in such a way – it’s a very – it’s a very, very tough subject.”

More:
channel3000.com/news/politics/national-politics/trump-keeps-daca-but-chips-away-at-barriers-to-deportation_/350009001

Trump’s rhetoric is promising. Proof will be in the pudding as they say, but I am pleased with the direction he is heading. He’s not acting irrationally on this issue now that he is in office. I understand why many (myself included) had concerns about how level-headed he would be once in office. I also understand why people may still be concerned (myself included) that that could all change. To me, Trump’s grade is “incomplete”. Too early to say he’s doing a great job or terrible job. So far, so good though. As a conservative Catholic who has mixed feelings about how to deal with the illegal immigrants in this country, I favor the direction this is heading, as it makes sense to me and is the Christian way to handle this IMO.

This is such a difficult situation to be sure. As a first generation American (father came here at age 3) I do not encourage or support illegal immigation. Immigrants have done much to enrich this country, but when they break the law to get here, my sympathies end. This country has always welcomed those who come legally and will continue to do so I am sure. But those who come illegally, partake of the largese of this country should not be given the privileges we give to those who come legally.

More deportations isn’t Catholic, there’s not real way to square that with compassion and empathy.

Breaking the law isn’t Catholic either.

Its not a moral law, and in many cases, these people “break the law” to simply survive.

The private prison industry will be the biggest winner here.

It’s okay to deport dangerous criminals though yes?

Sure.

Obama was already doing that. Trump is doing something different.

That’s complete BS imho. If you think their conditions are so dire in their home country, then you should be arguing for invasion and annexation, so we save all that live there (not just the middle class who can afford a coyote).

Obama administration failed in keeping them out of the country though. Do we know how Trump’s program is different? Perhaps it addresses the re-entry of these criminals?

We know that Trump has kept the following:

• Young immigrants who were brought to the US as children.

• Parents of US citizens and legal residents.

Can’t say I disagree with the approach to retain those exceptions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.