Trump names his Inauguration Day a ‘National Day of Patriotic Devotion’

washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/23/trump-names-his-inauguration-day-a-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_trumpturmoil-0902pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.d4c27438dd24

President Trump has officially declared the day of his inauguration a national day of patriotism.

On Monday, the paperwork was filed with the federal government declaring officially that Jan. 20, 2017 — the day of Trump’s inauguration — would officially be known as the “National Day of Patriotic Devotion.”

I wonder if this will observed on every Inauguration Day going forward? I don’t know if Trump will be so happy about having to pledge “patriotic devotion” to Democrat.

Obama named his Inauguration Day “National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation”.

…and we’ve been more divided than ever thanks in part to his Presidency.

If Trump follows the same path, we’ll be less devoted to patriotism within the next eight years.

Let’s see how he performs his duties.

Think this is standard tradition.

Good point.

I honestly thought I had clicked on a satire article at first.

Yuck, nationalism…

There are no greater people than the American citizenry, and as long as we believe in ourselves, and our country, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

That proclamation reeks of Bannon. No way Trump wrote that.

Trump also said: We seek good will with the nations of the world but we do so with the understanding that **it is the right of all nations to put their nations first. **

Not sure if I’m a huge fan of the word “devotion” :confused:

Maybe it’s simply an artefact of being British, but to my mind official days of patriotism reek of a state (or in this case, perhaps, a president, or senior advisor) insecure with itself/himself.

Days which grew out of popular feeling - e.g. Independence Day (though of course it’s now officially sanctioned) - are a better demonstration of real patriotism.

A true patriot shouldn’t really need to shout (or write) about how patriotic they are.

Just my :twocents: 1.6 pennyworth…

I supported many of Mr. Trump’s position, but he needs to: (a) dial back on the grandiose rhetoric; (b) get off Twitter; and, © button his suit jacket.

How will that mindset lead to peace?

If there are no greater people than the American people how can you tell other countries that they should also believe that there are no greater people than those of their countries.

Personally I believe all humans are equal, there are none greater than any other. Also, we are a global society now, it’s time to admit it and move on. Going backwards will only lead to war.

Note that they said “citizens,” which may or may not have been political. :shrug:

And I do agree that all humans are equal, I also firmly believe what I learned from an AP European History class many, many years ago: “The highest priority of the state is the survival of the state.”

That may be the states highest priority but the common man is more concerned with day to day survival. What is the point of a state that is constantly at war and only the citizens suffer. The State doesn’t lose loved ones to war because it can’t love.

ETA: God created humans without a state. This isn’t our natural environment.

Patriotism can be the rah, rah, rah, we are the best which is what some people think.

To me patriotism is the concept that I as a citizen should be a help and blessing to the society I live in and to do my best to leave it better than I found it.

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country as Kennedy once said.

It sounds a bit like something Ronald Reagan might have said: “A shining city on a hill”-style rhetoric.

I agree with your bolded part. It emphasizes both our individual nature and our communal nature. That’s what I see patriotism as, love of neighbor.

I never liked Kennedy’s quote. Too nationalistic. In isolation it comes off as saying we are simply tools of the state and the good of the state is the highest good. Perhaps I read too much into it.

Actually, humans are social beings, and the state is the formal expression of that society. The state is simply the institutional branch of society. So, a state is indeed our natual environment.

States are not constantly at war, nor is that necessary. The state is to regulate conditions between the citizens of the state *insofar as that is necessary, *and to defend the citizens from internal and external defensible dangers. Like all good/bad things, there is a balance to be maintained.

Sounds like something out of The Man in the High Castle, to be honest. I am NOT calling Trump a Nazi or a Hitler-like figure. It just sounds like something the people in that show would have as a holiday because of the words used.

I don’t know if you have noticed this, but Trump lives large. His homes look like Versailles, and his speech is equally extravgant.

What he wants to emphasize now is American unity. We, together, united, can be a great people. You could say, we could be the greatest Americans, leaving the French to be the greatest French people; the Japanese to be the greatest Japanese people, etc.

And that is how it should be. He is not a globalist. The things he says about our trade treaties he has been saying since the 1980s.

Trump has worked with people from all over the world. He has nonproblem with people from other places. He sees that Americans, ordinary people like me and my neighbors, people whose potential jobs have disappeared overseas, are suffering from that, and that it is not good for us to see less and less hope.

I have been living in a rural area for over 15 years and have been associated with the area for decades. I have seen what was once an economically growing area decline in “real” work, with little left but closed-down businesses and service jobs.

Trump wants to change that and many of my neighbors are very happy about that.

I was speaking of the ideal world before the fall and after the resurrection. There will be no borders or government. They will be unnecessary because we will see the Law as it truly is and follow Him lovingly. All of this nonsense is the result of sin. If there were no sin, boarders, wars, and laws would be unnecessary. Personally, I see this as the world we should be working towards right now.

There needs to be a balance but there is nothing balanced about nationalism. It’s one sided by definition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.