Trump on Same-Sex Marriage: 'I Can See Changes Coming Down the Line, Frankly'

Trump on Same-Sex Marriage: 'I Can See Changes Coming Down the Line, Frankly’

By Susan Jones | February 1, 2016

(CNSNews.com) - Republican Donald Trump says he doesn’t like the Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage in the United States. He said the issue should be left to the states to decide. And he indicated he thinks the ruling can be reversed.

“This is a very surprising ruling. And I – I can see changes coming down the line, frankly,” Trump told “Fox News Sunday.”

Host Chris Wallace asked Trump: “You say now that the Supreme Court has ruled that same-sex marriage is the law of the land and that any politician who talks about wanting to amend the Constitution is just playing politics. Are you saying it’s time to move on?”

Maybe Trump really believes that the issue should be left to the states. But he is far from passionate about the issue itself, not that he could do much about it if he were passionate. I just don’t believe he cares that much one way or the other about SSM or about abortion. He does care about immigration, however, and about the economy. But regarding the hard-core social conservative issues, forget about it.

This boat has sailed. It is ludicrous to suggest that same sex legislation would be reversed.

Why’s that?

Other immoral laws were on the books for over a century before they were cut out. A couple of years is hardly enough time for this atrocity to have dug it’s roots in deeply.

Actually, are we talking about “legislation” or a Supreme court ruling?

Because yes, things can be done to get the power back to the states.

Can you give an example?

Slavery?

No, I meant one that has any parallel to this subject.

I consider slavery immoral, I thought that was the only parallel needed.

And in saying that, I realize many people would not see same-sex marriages as immoral. But the original statement was only that there had been other immoral laws.

Other immoral laws were on the books for over a century before they were cut out.

I certainly agree with you on the immorality, but heterosexual adultery is also immoral. Should the United States government prohibit that via a Constitutional amendment?

You MAY be able to draw a parallel between slavery and children being raised by two members of the same gender as “parents”, but that train is so far down the track that there is no stopping it. The government is not going to be pulling children out of their homes for this reason.

Slavery
Jim Crow Laws
Segregation

No, I meant one that has a parallel to this subject.

I agree with what you have written. The left like to make us think all is irreversible (Think of their mantra: “You can’t go back.” We can, and we should.), but it isn’t.

Can you describe how it might be reversed?

Miscegenation laws

What? Making something legal is an entirely different story than making something illegal. There is just as much chance of reinstating miscegenation laws as there is possibility of instating a law against same sex “marriage”.

Notice the Trump was very careful not to say that he is against same sex marriage. He said he wished it had been done at the state level. From the article:

I disagree with the Supreme Court from the standpoint they should have given the state – it should be a states’ rights issue. And that’s the way it should have been ruled on, Chris, not the way they did it.

Anyone that thinks Trump is a social conservative is kidding themselves.

Erm… yeah… slavery.

Slavery was an unjust practice that put public opinion above objective moral truth.

So are adultery and divorce/remarriage. Should the United States government make those illegal via a constitutional amendment?

Only two candidates in the GOP race position themselves as socially conservative on this issue and neither of them are anywhere near being relevant in polling.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.