Trump Outlines Health Plan, From Obamacare Repeal to Abortion

President-elect Donald Trump outlined some pieces of his health-care program, largely following ideas he laid out during his campaign, from a repeal of Obamacare, his predecessor’s signature health law, to language indicating opposition to abortion.

The brief, 310-word plan gives few details about how Trump will replace the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, except that it would include health savings accounts, and an ability for insurers to sell coverage across state lines.

The document, posted Thursday on the presidential transition website, is the first look at Trump’s plan since the election. It includes protecting “innocent human life from conception to natural death” and gives states a big role in regulating health insurance and in running their Medicaid health-insurance programs for the poor.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-10/trump-outlines-health-care-plan-including-repealing-obamacare

" … and an ability for insurers to sell coverage across state lines."

Perhaps somebody with some knowledge can clarify this, but my understanding is that there is no federal law or regulation that prohibits this. Rather, it is states that are prohibiting out-of-state insurers from being providers. So is the suggestion that the federal government force states to permit out of state insurers? If so, then how does this jive with giving " … states a big role in regulating health insurance"?

it would be great if someone that deals with healthcare underwriters would help out here…

" … states a big role in regulating health insurance"?

I do know this much: the patchwork of often conflicting state regulations makes it a nightmare for the insurance industry as a whole to operate within the USA.

It is a very costly process for the underwriters to have to re-apply in each state and file the schedule of rates and benefits each time their franchise rights expire. This cost is quite often passed directly to the customer.

I know this second-hand, in that, I have a very close relative that is an independent insurance agent and over the past several years many of the underwriters have simply pulled out of the state due in part to the regulations that the state put in place including an increase in the “franchise” tax that the insurance underwriters had to either pay themselves or charge the customer. The problem here for customers is that for both the big corporate underwriters and the remaining smaller underwriters they have less competition within the state; thus, resulting in the ability to charge higher premiums for fewer (or lesser) coverage provided to the customer each time the underwriter gets to refile the schedule of services - and the franchise fee is another “hidden” tax on the citizens that has very little to no oversight as to how it is used by the states.

Exactly. Blue Cross/Blue Shield does that, among others.

Maybe what people want is to pay the same premiums. That’s up to the state regulators, has to be.

The brief, 310-word plan gives few details about how Trump will replace the Affordable Care Act, or ACA, except that it would include health savings accounts, and an ability for insurers to sell coverage across state lines.

The document, posted Thursday on the presidential transition website, is the first look at Trump’s plan since the election.

***It includes protecting “innocent human life from conception to natural death” ***

… and gives states a big role in regulating health insurance and in running their Medicaid health-insurance programs for the poor.

No word here on whether the new Trump Administration would continue the present administration’s tendency to hector Catholic institutions into providing condoms and abortifacients to their employees via mandatory insurance coverage - but I don’t expect the new HHS chair or Attorney General to be breathing down the necks of the Little Sisters of the Poor (anymore when the GOP takes over the Executive Branch).

"It is necessary to reaffirm our solid opposition to any direct offense against life, especially when innocent and defenseless, and the unborn child in its mother’s womb is the quintessence of innocence. Let us remember the words of Vatican Council II:

‘Therefore from the moment of its conception life must be guarded with the greatest care while abortion and infanticide are unspeakable crimes.’"

**-- Pope Francis **

newsmax.com/FastFeatures/abortion-pope-francis-quotes/2015/04/15/id/638660/

Making the system simple with the least amount of moving parts would be helpful. Administration costs a fortune.

I believe Trump wanted to lift the restrictions of prescription birth control. As some are indeed abortifacients, things might indeed get interesting.

Healthcare Reform Part II.

If he names the right judges I won’t worry about that.

Not too long ago he was OK with partial birth abortion. Not a zealous advocate for it like Hillary … but for it anyhow.

His going pro-life to the extent he now is … is progress anyway.

You can buy car insurance, accident insurance, life insurance, etc … across state lines.

Why not also buy medical insurance?

Although it would be nice if he truly meant his pro-life stance, any small progress is victory, even if it might be due to political pandering or expediency.

I don’t think birth control is going away any time soon.

I would be happy with the individual mandate being revoked. That would solve the problems with forcing Catholics to purchase policies which include abortifacients. Overall, I think his plan is good, and doable.

We as taxpayers will wind up paying the premiums for those getting subsidies now, but that’s just the nature of the political climate right now. (and in my opinion the right thing to do in a country so wealthy). Heck, just close one military base in a remote part of the world, or or hold back a year of payments to the terrorist supporting countries and it would more than pay for it.

Depends on what the state regulators allow.

It’s a state by state issue, including the agents who sell the insurance. Why do you want to involve the feds?

Blue Cross and others already cover many states and providers. There may be others. I don’t understand the problem.

His stated intentions were to appoint Justices like Scalia, who was a heavy advocate of the 10th Amendment. It’s not strictly a pro-life position but it would serve in place of Roe vs Wade, among other issues.

Any health care reform should take into consideration administrative costs. If they use pre-existing conditions to disqualify applicants (again), this would bring back underwriting costs and force higher premiums.

lifenews.com/2016/10/28/donald-trump-reveals-what-changed-his-mind-on-abortion-and-led-him-to-become-pro-life/

Remembering him as a Manhattan liberal (per his own “New York values” quote mostly) I was a bit skeptical too for a bit. His listing of judges for future Supreme Court appointments (especially per replacing Scalia) that met with some prominent pro-lifers’ approval helped me get over some of that skepticism.

But his appearance on EWTN where host Raymond Arroyo grilled him on his most controversial matters (current and previous) was impressive. I appreciated this story:

“I am pro-life,” he told Arroyo.

Trump said a “number of moments” influenced his change of heart on the matter, but the biggest was a “magnificent person” he knows who was almost aborted.

He told Arroyo:

One was a couple that I know very, very well. And you had a strong pro-life and you had a strong pro-choice, and they argued over — the mother was pregnant — they argued over the child.

One — I won’t get into the specifics — but one wanted to abort and the other said we can’t do that, we’re not going to do that. Anyway, they had the baby — it was a long time ago — and the baby is such a magnificent person, who I know, a magnificent person.

And the person that was actually pro-choice is now pro-life because of it, and it had an effect on me.

From memory, I think Mitt Romney had a similar conversion story per pro-life.

youtube.com/watch?v=-PCsZ_x9Z6s < The pre-election EWTN interview

Interesting. Thanks for the link. At one time, before I joined the Church, I was “pro-choice” and had a similar conversion experience as our new President-elect. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and believe his conversion on the issue is genuine until he acts otherwise. I hope he does do something about reversing this culture of death.

On the transition website under “Healthcare” is something really important:

Protect individual conscience in healthcare

greatagain.gov/policy/healthcare.html

Birth control going away in a multi-faith nation would be imho an ultimate example of big government poking its nose into people’s bedrooms. Also there may be employees of Catholic employers who are prescribed contraceptives for actual health and medical reasons. And even the Catholic Church does not disapprove of contraceptive usage for medical reasons.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=13226643&postcount=2

I don’t see anyone suggesting BC goes away, just that we allow choice in the matter. Very few companies would take that option and it would still be covered when required for other medical conditions.

Perhaps we may see discussions of self-control as a means of birth control in our society. It does have some advantages: no harmful chemicals, no killing of children in the womb, no increases in stds or cancers as a result of sexual activity, and the development of self-discipline and learning to delay gratification for the greater good.
We’ll have to see how things unfold in the next year or two.
May God bless us all.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.