Trump promises health insurance for all

President-elect Donald Trump says his plan to replace the nation’s health care law will include “insurance for everybody.”

Trump made the comment in an interview with the Washington Post published on Sunday.

The president-elect says: “We’re going to have insurance for everybody. There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”

Trump declined to reveal any details.

An embrace of universal health care would mark a sharp break for most Republicans, as they plan to repeal and replace the current health care law.

A full repeal without an immediate replacement would strip health care insurance from millions of Americans.

Trump told the Post he expects Congress to address the issue in the coming weeks.

apnews.com/c1929848f51a4bfe96d53142c2abd626?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

Reince Priebus: Donald Trump has "no plans…to touch Medicare and Social Security” abcn.ws/2iAqWqs

My understanding reading Robert Costa of the Washington Post is that Trump wants to turn the Republican Party into the “working man/woman’s party”

Until he actually is willing to reveal details and his party goes along with it and everyone has health insurance even if they can’t pay for it, it’s nothing more than words. And what’s that saying? The devil is in the details? We’ll have to see.

I hope he is right.

He’s got to find 60 votes in the Senate to make his idea work. He may get some Democrat votes on this, who knows?

Always the pessimist.

It sounds like he’s proposing a single payer system. I remember reading that he supported that at one time.

Devilish details like “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan” and premiums for families will go down $2,500.

Edit: I saw a longer quote in which he says he’s not for single payer, but also that he wants universal coverage. Not sure what to make of all this. I guess we’ll find out at some point.

:slight_smile: I’m very happy with a lot of what Trump has said and plans to do. I hope he stays safe and his security remain vigilant.

The philosophy mentioned when it comes to health that if you can’t afford it you can’t get it, is what I think gave rise to Obama care in the first place (And rightly so if someone were to die or something because they couldn’t afford surgery). I am not certain how Obama Care works in the US, however, I have no qualms with tax funds being used to pay for needed health services for those who cannot afford them, however, it’s a big problem when it’s used (abused really) to fund abortion on demand.

Just some of my thoughts.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Or an expansion of Medicare.

I can imagine how he could promise SOME health insurance for all. But I don’t see how he could possibly deliver full coverage for all.

It would be interesting to see what he comes up with and if his party will go along with it.

I hope he follows through with it. This is the (in my mind slim) hope that Trump presents. He is unorthodox enough to buck his own party. The GOP majority in Congress in thin enough that he could pass health insurance reform (maybe even single payer) with the Democrats and only a handful of GOP defectors. Is it possible? I see it as unlikely, but there is always hope.

The replacement of the Affordable Care Act may be one of competing ideas between Paul Ryan and Rand Paul.

Rand Paul states he’s finishing drafting legislation for a replacement healthcare this week.

Right, we’ll see. But this is what amazes me - Trump is so much more Rockefeller Republican that Romney or Ryan and liberal Catholics are raising so much more of a stink about Trump than they did about Bush or Romney, Ryan - it’s laughable. They actually want him to be worse than he is to fit the narrative. It is necessity.

In the Senate with the help of Democrats maybe. But is the House margin thin enough for him to buck his own party?

:popcorn:

It would somewhat amusing to see a R Congress obstruct a R President.

Trump seems to be whoever has his ear last. My problem with Trump goes even beyond issues though. The manner in which he ran his campaign. The mocking of the disabled. Yes I know some of his supporters deny that he mocked anyone. Even though he stood up there on stage saying you got to see this guy as he went about his antics and performance. And the video of a 59 yr old married man on his 3rd marriage bragging about how he can grope women because he was famous. And so much more about him that I don’t have the time for.

:yup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.