Trump, Putin had second, undisclosed talk at G-20

President Trump held a second, informal talk with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the sidelines of the Group of 20 (G-20) summit in Hamburg, Germany, earlier this month, according to Tuesday reports.

The White House confirmed with CNN, Reuters and NBC News that the meeting took place during the G-20 heads of state dinner, hours after Trump’s formal bilateral sit-down with Putin.

In that conversation, Trump spoke with the Russian leader for roughly an hour, joined only by Putin’s translator. The meeting had previously gone without mention by the White House.

Trump’s interactions with Putin are the subject of particularly intense scrutiny in the U.S., because of the ongoing special counsel and congressional investigations into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

That Trump was not joined in the conversation by his own translator is a breach of national security protocol, according to Ian Bremmer, president of the Eurasia Group, though one that the president likely would not know about.

thehill.com/homenews/administration/342589-ian-bremmer-trump-and-putin-held-second-informal-meeting-during-g-20

:eek:

This seems incredibly odd. Is there a precedent?

Why would he not have a translator to confirm what was being translated was correct?

What is the logical explanation for this? Why would he put himself in a position of he said/ he said without anyone other than Putin’s translator?

Of course not. No one would have been that foolish. So he spoke to Putin for an hour with no other Americans in the room!!! Nothing to see here, folks:eek:

He was getting his orders for the next quarter?

I kid, I kid.

Job performance review with the boss? :shrug:

That’s more like it , Comrade.

Maybe they were only setting up the private communication system Jared was inquiring about.

My mind is no longer capable of being boggled. :whacky:

More details from the Washington Post:

**Trump had undisclosed hour-long meeting with Putin at G-20 summit **
wapo.st/2ux4K7B?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.eae2abed1975

The second meeting, unreported at the time, took place at a dinner for G-20 leaders, a senior administration official said. Halfway through the meal, Trump left his own seat to occupy a chair next to Putin. Trump was alone, and Putin was attended only by his official interpreter.

The administration official spoke on condition of anonymity to confirm the session, first reported Monday by Ian Bremmer, president of the New York-based Eurasia Group, in a newsletter to group clients. Bremmer said in a telephone interview that he was told by two participants who witnessed it at the dinner, which was attended only by leaders attending the summit and some of their spouses.

Leaders who reported the meeting to him, Bremmer said, were “bemused, non-plussed , befuddled” by the animated conversation, held in full view — but not listening distance — of others present.

Putin’s aide provided the only Russian-English interpretation, the official said, because Trump’s designated dinner companion for the evening was Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and the president has brought only a Japanese-English interpreter.

At least it wasn’t behind closed doors.

They talked about golf maybe? Or maybe Trump Vodka?

I guess we’ll have to wait until Fox news tells us what really happened.

True.

:rolleyes:

Why in the world is everyone so weird about Russia? Do people not realize that it and the US are the two largest nuclear powers, and that something approaching amity is the only sane response, and that DC, the media, and everyone else’s obsessive desire to remake Russia into Teh #1 Bad Dude is so monumentally stupid that a century from now, people will be writing books about us like they write books about the world of 1913? Putin doesn’t do half the stuff DC’s besties in Riyadh get up to.

What do you think happened?

Putin: Trump, you are an ugly capitalist pig!
Translator: Mr. Putin offers his felicitations.
Trump: Tell him thank you very much.
Putin: I plan to invade Finland next week.
Translator: Mr. Putin says that he intends to work for world peace.
Trump: Tell him that I approve completely.

Doesn’t sound it was much of a private meeting if they were the presence of other dinner guests.

Here’s a decent analysis as to why this is so atypical:

bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-07-18/bremmer-on-trump-putin-meeting-charlie-rose-video

I’ll be curious to see if this thread follows the regular pattern where people who think that maybe the president shouldn’t be so cozy with a country that has been hostile to American interests speak first and then, once the right wing media has a chance to respond, we get why it was no big deal.

Any one got the over/under on how many posts it takes for someone to say Obama did the same thing using an example that doesn’t match this situation?

I say we get “but Hillary …” first.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.