Trump’s travel ban enjoys majority support, 55/38

While a majority of voters back President Donald Trump’s temporary travel ban on refugees and citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries, they’re souring on his performance in the wake of its implementation, according to a new poll.

Fifty-five percent of registered voters said they approve of the immigration order, while 38 percent disapprove, according to the national Morning Consult/POLITICO survey conducted Feb. 2 through Feb. 4. Thirty-five percent of voters strongly approve of the ban that was first implemented on Jan. 27.

Still, Trump’s approval rating is sliding.

After two weeks in office, 47 percent of voters approved of his job performance, down 2 points from the previous week. At the same time, his disapproval rating rose 5 points, to 46 percent from 41 percent.

morningconsult.com/2017/02/08/trump-approval-rating-slides-despite-support-travel-ban/

Obama dipped as low as 38% approval, GW 25%, Clinton 37%, GHW 29%, Reagan 35%, etc. Seems like Trump’s not unique in having haters.

Were any of them at anything like those low levels 3 weeks into taking office though? That’s the point.

(And as a corollary to that: were any of them quite so markedly and outwardly obsessed by such numbers as the current egregious occupant as the Oval Office?).

And thirdly: just because 55% of the voting public like something, that doesn’t automatically make it a good (never mind sensible) thing…

I’ll have to repeat it again, but I still haven’t met one person who supported President Trump but has since turned against him. Every new protest I hear about daily on the news, comes from groups that were always going to be opposed to him.

I voted for Trump but I don’t like what is happening with Bannon.

As it stands right now, I’m sorry I voted for him. ( though I certainly wouldn’t have voted for Hillary )

Majority support does not make it right or just

Historically in America slavery and discrimination had great support and were the law of the land…

And rightly so…[sign] ***Not My President!***[/sign]

Trump has been very active in his first 3 weeks (and I do take some issue with the number of executive orders), so he is likely to see disapproval quicker. We also can’t discount that he ran a very polarizing campaign, so there were people ticked off and protesting before he had even begun to be POTUS. Hanging at 47% in a highly polarized country (and Democrats vs Republicans are very polarized right now) is not odd.

It’s not surprising that Trump would care about his numbers. He’s a business man.

I agree, popular vote does not automatically make something good. However, popular vote doesn’t automatically make something bad either. People are quick to point fingers at an immigration ban when the US is still more open to immigration than many other countries.

Huh? Something like a half million people died in a war, part of which was in opposition to slavery. The “law of the land” isn’t always greatly supported; rather like abortion on demand today. It’s the “law of the land” despite the fact that most people oppose it.

“Don’t be stupid, be a smarty. Come and join the Nazi Party”.
Mel Brooks.
:smiley:

How odd then that another fresh poll finds the opposite story to be the case…

washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/08/why-trumps-travel-ban-is-struggling-people-were-never-begging-for-it-in-the-first-place/?utm_term=.942d93f5678d

**Trump’s travel ban is the controversial policy almost nobody was begging for

Quinnipiac has polled the travel ban three times: In late November, January and today. And while in both previous polls the general concept had more supporters than opponents, the new poll shows it’s now underwater: 44 percent support and 50 percent opposition. That six-point gap is reversed from a month ago, when it was favored 48-42.

The new poll echoes pretty much everything we’ve seen since the travel ban was signed and implemented. A CNN poll showed people opposed it 53-47 percent. CBS showed it trailing 51-45. And Gallup had it 55-42 for the opposition. That’s very consistent, no matter what Trump says about the polls.**

So which poll to believe?

Maybe neither?

Implying that supporters of the ban and the President are Nazis, tells more about the extremist views of the accusers than of the accused.

Missed the smiley?

See, this a pattern with followers of authoritarian leaders.
No sense of humor.

Example: name one great Nazi or fascist comedian.
chirp…chirp…chirp…chirp…
Case closed.
:smiley:
^^^^
Please observe the smiley.

Not really.
Nazis were not unique in history. Actions against people ‘not like us’ has a long sordid history.
Besides, I think he was joking.

I would but they didn’t answer my application when I ended it with L’chaim.

Every time I hear “Trump won!!” The quote from Mel Brooks seems to fit nicely.
As if somehow “winning” makes it al okay.

Hey, if the polemics and propaganda bear a striking similarity it’s not my fault if some folks have forgotten history. A fascist is a fascist…
***“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” ~ **George Santayana, philosopher and novelist **

***“What a man believes may be ascertained, not from his creed, but from the assumptions on which he habitually acts.” ***- George Bernard Shaw

Oh yeah that…which again calls up another statement from a fascist blast from the past.

“The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.”

** “It is not truth that matters, but victory”

“Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong.”

“If you win, you need not have to explain…If you lose, you should not be there to explain!”*

This support for the so called travel ban is also surprisingly strong in Europe, at about 55% too. Why people are surprised at this is what should be the real story. There is nothing unreasonable or extreme about what Trump has proposed, glitches aside. The mischaracterization and the hysteria stemming from the mischaracterization (from some very respectable folks too) again, should be the quandary to ponder. How far will that go, the Fight Trump Crusade. Are there any limits where one is obligated to stop? We’re way past civility, reason, dialogue, truth, commitment to democracy or constitutionalism.

How could this poll be!? What vaccvine do they have against the media!?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.