Trump says he will nominate Gen. Mattis for Secretary of Defense

BREAKING: Trump says he will nominate Gen. Mattis for Secretary of Defense

twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/804494616020008961

BREAKING: Trump announces that James"Mad Dog" Mattis will be America’s next secretary of defense cbsn.ws/2fX2yOv

Pres.-elect Trump: “We are going to appoint ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis as our Secretary of Defense” abcn.ws/2gFkxYj

He reminds me of General “Nuke 'em now” Decker (portrayed by the late Rod Steiger) from the movie Mars Attacks.

A Marine general as Secretary of Defense: sleeping better already.

Naw, more like Patton. He’s not a liberal Hollywood elites idea of a general, he is the real thing. In this case a Marine’s general.

Hoo-rah!

Actually, as a Marine, that should be Oorah! :thumbsup:

When spelled, Oorah looks too much like Oprah!

I see that Gen. Mattis is also known as the Warrior Monk for his scholarly approach to war and his being a life-long bachelor. If approved, I hope he always looks first for ways to keep us out of wars.

That is true!

His Marines love him because he doesn’t forget them, he was one of them. I heard a story about him standing guard duty or something so the young Marine could go home and be with his family for a holiday. He knows what it as like to be a grunt, and that’s why they all love him. He is not all hawkish and crude. :wink:

What is the rationale for a four-year retirement rule in appointing a military general or a waiver to circumvent that ruling?

Everything that I have heard about Gen. Mattis makes me think that he will be excellent in that position. Nothing that I have heard has raised any doubts about his character or capabilities.

Oorah!

SecDef is not supposed to be SuperChairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Because the Honorable Secretary (retired General) was already one of the highest ranking military members, it would be difficult to say when the military ends and civilian begins. By the way, I believe it is a 7 year retirement rule. Because General Mattis is a retired four star, the same rank as CJCS General Dunford, it might make for conflict if there are disagreements.

A little background from Wiki:
Chairman
The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is, by law, the highest-ranking military officer of the United States Armed Forces, and the principal military adviser to the President of the United States. He leads the meetings and coordinates the efforts of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, comprising the chairman, the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Chief of Staff of the United States Army, the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, the Chief of Naval Operations, the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force, and the Chief of the National Guard Bureau. The Joint Chiefs of Staff have offices in The Pentagon. The chairman outranks all respective heads of each service branch, but does not have command authority over them, their service branches or the Unified Combatant Commands. All combatant commanders receive operational orders directly from the Secretary of Defense.

The current chairman is General Joseph Dunford, USMC, who began his term on October 1, 2015.

On 20 July 1942, Navy Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy became the Chief of Staff to the Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy (20 July 1942 – 21 March 1949). He was not technically the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Leahy’s office was the precursor to the post of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. That post was established and first held by General of the Army Omar Bradley in 1949.

Vice Chairman
The position of Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was created by the Goldwater-Nichols Act of 1986. The vice-chairman is a four-star-general or admiral and, by law, is the second highest-ranking member of the U.S. Armed Forces (after the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff). In the absence of the chairman, the vice-chairman presides over the meetings of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He may also perform such duties as the chairman may prescribe. It was not until the National Defense Authorization Act in 1992 that the position was made a full voting member of the JCS.

The current vice-chairman is General Paul J. Selva, USAF.

Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman
The Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (SEAC) advises on all matters concerning joint and combined total force integration, utilization, development, and helps develop noncommissioned officers related joint professional education, enhance utilization of senior NCOs on joint battle staffs, and support the chairman’s responsibilities as directed.

Command Sergeant Major William Gainey, USA, was the first SEAC, serving from October 1, 2005. The current SEAC is Command Sergeant Major John W. Troxell, U.S.A., who was sworn in by Joint Chiefs Chairman General Joseph Dunford on December 11, 2015, replacing Sergeant Major Bryan B. Battaglia, USMC.

Thanks for the information. Yes, you are right: it is a 7-year retirement rule; I believe Gen. Mattis has already been retired for 3 years.

Yes, but there’s already a bill for an exemption making its way thru Congress.

I did read McCain is willing to write the text for a waiver.

Waiver legislation needs to pass the 60-vote filibuster threshold in the Senate.

Mattis’s actual appointment only requires a simple majority.

So far, only Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) has come out against the waiver, arguing in a statement that she will oppose it because "civilian control of our military is a fundamental principle of American democracy.

thehill.com/homenews/administration/308468-mccain-to-support-waiver-for-mattis-trump-team-says

(On a side note)

If the Sec of State selection was also a recent military retiree it could cause some in the house to battle.

Former Sec of Defense Bob Gates makes the point,

“I think some of the people that he’s talking to for senior jobs, I find very encouraging. They’re very solid people,” Gates said. “And I would ordinarily have some concerns about civilian military relationships and civilian control and so on but not with Jim Mattis. Jim has a deep sense of history, he’s got a great strategic mind and folks in uniform love him. I think he would be a great choice.”

But while Gates said he had the “highest regard” for all three potential picks, he said having two military officials in the Cabinet would be “too much military influence in the decision-making process.”

cbsnews.com/news/robert-gates-donald-trump-cabinet-isis-iran-russia-national-security-issues-that-matter/

Interestingly, Bob Gates (a well reasoned critic of Trump) is meeting with Trump today (his second trip in two days to Trump Tower).

thefederalist.com/2016/12/02/served-james-mattis-heres-learned/

There are a ton of these types of one on one encounters with GEN Mathis. I’m having a hard time imagining a better pick for SECDEF.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.