Trump says Putin 'a leader far more than our president'

bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37303057

**Trump says Putin ‘a leader far more than our president’

Donald Trump has showered Vladimir Putin with praise as he and rival Hillary Clinton took pointed questions from military veterans.

The Republican presidential nominee told the forum the Russian president “has been a leader far more than our president [Obama] has been”.

It came on the same day the chief of the Pentagon accused Russia of sowing the seeds of global instability.

Mrs Clinton, meanwhile, defended her judgment despite her email scandal.

The White House candidates appeared back to back on stage in half-hour segments at the Intrepid Air and Sea Museum in New York on Wednesday night.**

Trump acting as Putin’s no.1 publicist yet again…:rolleyes:

An apologetic for authoritarian-style governance?

Oh, and in other news coming out the same day:

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37303247

**US says Russian jet flew 10ft from plane over Black Sea

The Pentagon says a Russian fighter plane flew within about 10ft (3m) of one of its reconnaissance aircraft operating over the Black Sea.

US officials described the intercept by the SU-27 jet on Wednesday as “dangerous and unprofessional”.

Russia’s defence ministry said the US plane had been approaching Russian territory and the SU-27 pilots had adhered to international rules.

Russia is currently carrying out military exercises in the Black Sea.

Pentagon spokesman Capt Jeff Davis said the US Navy P-8A Poseidon aircraft had been conducting routine operations in international airspace when the Russian fighter made the unsafe manoeuvre.

“These actions have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions, and could result in a miscalculation or accident,” he said.

A US defence official quoted by AFP news agency said the Russian plane had flown within 30ft of the P-8A before closing to just 10ft.**

Just fun n’ games, huh, from Uncle Vlad? :smiley:

Trump presents a vision of Putin’s “leadership” that is almost entirely detached from reality. Does he know nothing of the 2011-13 protests following Putin’s fraudulent re-election?

And then Trump had the audacity to claim that Russia wished to defeat Isis “as badly as we do”. Oh, yeah. Really informed about world affairs there Donald.

Does he happen to get his news off of RT and Sputnik?

:mad:

*Pentagon spokesman Capt Jeff Davis said the US Navy P-8A Poseidon aircraft had been conducting routine operations in international airspace when the Russian fighter made the unsafe manoeuvre.

“These actions have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions, and could result in a miscalculation or accident,” he said.*

:D:D:D:D

You couldn’t make it up. Reverse the parties and the actions. I.E. Russian jets flying close to the USA borders in seas surrounding them and the Russians ‘complaining’ that the US big, bad, bad, boyz came out of nowhere and ‘scared’ them, when they were ‘only having a look’. :rolleyes:

Without doubt it would be MSM headline news, too - but with completely opposite reactions, e.g. ‘Who does Russia think it is’; ‘They are trying to provoke an international incident’…yada, yada. The plane that’s flying in the other ones’ home territory is a good indicator, of who seems the most antagonistic.
After the Russian fighters got close to the spy planes for visual confirmation and to determine their wing numbers, the American aircraft changed course sharply and flew away," a statement said.

“The Russia pilots acted in strict accordance with international rules for flights.*”

As for Trump - possibly he is and has been a stooge to ensure Clinton wins.:shrug: I doubt very much Putin would ‘wish’ such nonsense to be reported, by Trump or anyone else, all extremely juvenile.

Yeah, but Putin said nice things about Trump so Trump likes him. It doesn’t matter what kind of man Putin is; if he compliments Trump, Trump compliments him (according to Trumps own words).

cnbc.com/2016/09/08/heres-how-europe-reacted-to-trumps-bromance-with-putin.html

**Here’s how Europe reacted to Trump’s ‘bromance’ with Putin

Europe is starting to get twitchy about the “bromance” between Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, especially after U.S. politician heaped more praise on the Russian president Wednesday.

Speaking at the televised Commander-in-Chief Forum hosted by NBC News on Wednesday, Trump said the Putin, who he has praised several times in the past, was a “far more” capable leader that U.S. President Barack Obama. He also defended Putin’s leadership style, support for the Syrian dictator Bashar al Assad and the annexation of Crimea from Ukraine.**

“The man has very strong control over a country,” Trump said of Putin. “It’s a very different system and I don’t happen to like the system, but certainly, in that system, he’s been a leader, far more than our president has been a leader.”

The comments caused a stir both in the U.S. and Europe. Russia and its leader are still viewed warily in both regions despite an awkward military alliance trying to combat the militant group calling itself Islamic State in Syria and Iraq.

Putin’s decision in 2014 to annex Crimea from Ukraine and its role in a pro-Russian uprising in Ukraine prompted the U.S. and Europe to impose economic sanctions on Russia which are still in place. NATO has also deployed troops to the Baltic region and Eastern Europe to deter Russia from further military provocations (which have included intrusions into European waters and airspace) or, in the unlikely and worst case scenario, invasions.

Blossoming “bromance”

**Europe’s media reacted on Thursday to Trump’s warm comments about Putin with a mixture of skepticism, disbelief and nervousness over where the relationship could leave Europe should Trump come to power.

Most U.K. newpapers carried coverage of Trump’s praise of Putin with the country’s left-leaning Guardian newspaper saying it was continuation of the “so-called bromance” that has blossomed between the men.

“Trump again lavished praise on Vladimir Putin, pledging a new era of US-Russian cooperation – something both Obama and George Bush attempted and failed to achieve after U.S. and Russian interests diverged,” the Guardian’s Spencer Ackerman wrote.**

"Despite months of Russian military demonstration in Syria that Vladimir Putin’s objective is to suppress Bashar al-Assad’s domestic resistance, Trump claimed that Russia wished to defeat Isis “as badly as we do”. Putin might be a dictator – Trump waved away moderator Matt Lauer on this point – but he had “very strong control.”

**The BBC noted on its online coverage of Trump’s remarks at the forum that his praise of Putin, in contrast with Obama’s performance in office, “came on the same day the chief of the Pentagon accused Russia of sowing the seeds of global instability.”

The BBC’s Washington correspondent Anthony Zurcher said Trump had also “found new and interesting ways to show his tenuous command of policy details and shower questionable praise on a U.S. rival (Putin).”**

Despite NBC’s moderator running through a list of Putin’s more controversial actions (“He’s also a guy who annexed Crimea, invaded Ukraine, supports Assad in Syria, supports Iran, is trying to undermine our influence in key regions of the world, and according to our intelligence community, probably is the main suspect for the hacking of the DNC computers”) Trump responded that President Obama was just as bad.

“Do you want me to start naming some of the things that President Obama does at the same time?” Trump asked.

Trump’s comments were not lost on continental Europe either with most large European news outlets remarking on Trump’s continued approval of Putin. German daily Der Spiegel led with Trump’s “praise for Putin” and said the U.S. businessman-turned-presidential hopeful had “emphasized once again his closeness to Russia” during the forum.

Meanwhile Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported on Trump’s “controversial” remarks about Putin and said Trump showed no signs of disassociating himself from the Russian leader, an observation also made in the French press.

Trump is right. Putin has been a far more effective leader, both nationally and internationally then our semi-retired President. It’s so right as to be self-evident.

I think it’s an ill-advised and imprudent comment for a candidate for POTUS to make. about a sitting POTUS, but he’s not wrong.

So do you like authoritarian regimes then? Clearly Trump does, who is a danger to our democracy.

Of course, authoritarian regimes can be ‘efficient’ in a way the American democratic process can never be. But obviously, American democracy, or any real democracy (Russia isn’t one), is a far less dangerous form of government.

The times they are a changin’ :thumbsup:

By the way, following up on my previous post, this is an interesting video:

**Authoritarianism: The political science that explains Trump

I think Obama’s, and Clinton’s attacks on free speech and religious freedom are far more dangerous to our “democracy” than anything Trump is proposing. I also think it’s a bit ridiculous for anybody who supports President “I have a pen, and I have a phone” to squawk about “authoritarian regimes”.

Trump likes Putin who:
– suppresses freedom of press
– has political opponents murdered or jailed
– invades other countries for no reason other than expanding his empire.

So yes, you cannot brush aside the concern about authoritarian regimes and Trumps’s love for them. And I note, you have conveniently evaded my question.

But you see, the whole “pen and a phone” thing is ok to the liberals because they support what he’s doing with that pen and phone. We’ll see how supportive they are of such a philosophy when there’s a POTUS with whom they disagree idealogically.

Does it bother you when President “Drone Strike” does the same things? Or that President “Reset Button’s” fecklessness has given Putin no reason to assume that the US will stand in the way of his ambitions? Or that President “Four Putt” gave Putin’s ally, the Iranians", $1.3 billion in unmarked bills that they can funnel to terrorists? Let’s be honest, it’s not authoritarianism that bothers you. You’re perfectly fine when a guy you support does it. You’re fear is that Trump may undue some of the authoritarian acts Obama as done.

You are confusing political opponents in a democracy with terrorists.

Or that President “Reset Button’s” fecklessness has given Putin no reason to assume that the US will stand in the way of his ambitions?

Debatable, and has nothing to do with authoritarianism on Obama’s part.

Or that President “Four Putt” gave Putin’s ally, the Iranians", $1.3 billion in unmarked bills that they can funnel to terrorists?

The money, $400 million, was owed as a settlement of an unfilfulled arms deal from 1979. The US had no choice under international law (the claim was serttled in The Hague). The reason the US paid in cash is because it disabled the Iranian banking system in the course of its sanctions – precisely in order to combat terrorism.

Nice try, but you need to do a better job informing yourself. Indulging in just right-wing media like Fox, Breibart, Drudge and others won’t do.

And no, you still haven’t answered my question.

MODERATOR REMINDER

No name calling, keep the discussion charitable

“International law” is nothing but those things which nations agree are binding on them. Fortunately, there is not (yet) a worldwide government that can enforce its edicts.

The “Hague judgment” was actually an agreement made by Obama, allowing Iran to take judgment against the U.S. it was part of the U.S. capitulation to iran in the Iranian nuke “agreement”.

It is my understanding a federal court ruled that those funds were subject to the claims of victims of Iranian terror operations. If so, why should the Mullahs have precedence over those claims?

I didn’t answer because I thought it rhetorical, but if you really want to discuss who likes “authoritarian” regimes, that discussion won’t be complete without a discussion of leftist support for authoritarian regimes in Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, Red China, and, more recently, Obama’s support of the authoritarian governments in Venezuela, Cuba, and Iran. It’s hard to take seriously people calling Trump an authoritarian (an accusation made against every Republican since Thomas Dewey), when they swoon over Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez.

Not only did Trump praise Putin but, almost in the same breath, he trashed our generals. Sometimes I wonder whether this election cycle is for real, given the choices the American public has for POTUS.

Really? Oh boy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.