Trump seeking $54B increase in defense spending, cuts elsewhere

President Trump plans to seek what he’s calling a “historic” $54 billion increase in defense spending, while pursuing cuts elsewhere in the federal government, as part of his upcoming budget plan.

White House budget officials announced the proposed military spending boost Monday morning, saying the president will seek a commensurate reduction in spending across other federal agencies. Minutes later, Trump previewed the move while addressing the nation’s governors at the White House.

“This budget will be a public safety and national security budget,” Trump said. He said the plan would include a “historic increase in defense spending to rebuild the depleted military.”

The president reiterated that he wants to better prepare the military to not only deter war but win wars when called to fight.

“We’ve got to win or don’t fight it at all,” Trump said.

foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/27/trump-seeking-54b-increase-in-defense-spending-cuts-elsewhere.html

This is where I start to panic. I did not vote for Romney/Ryan for just this reason, and it sounds like Ryan wants to move slower than Trump on budget cuts. My hope was Trump was closer to a Kasich, moderate kind of government spender, Rockefeller Republican. I hate this across the board gutting of government programs - to this degree; it benefits the military, big business, hurts the poor, middle class. Everything the left says. :o

The problem is I am still more uncomfortable with the left, simply because it is so extreme and anti-American, dangerous in terms of governing. I think America and the bloated government after 8 years of Obama can survive this. But it would appear that we have the extremists in both parties in control, not just the left.

I predict if Trump successfully pushes extreme budget cuts to government programs, knocks out healthcare for millions by gutting Obamacare in some new bare bones cheapo plan, the Democrats will kill us in the midterms and take back the White House easily in four years. And look out you Christians. At least you’ll have healthcare and healthy air and water - from your jail cell.

The last thing we need is more military spending. We have the largest, most expensive military in the world. We have this so we can go to almost every country in the world and make war whenever we want to. Our military misadventures for the most part simply destabilize the world. We have more than enough weapons should we every need to actually defend this country. I’m all for cutting all areas of the federal government. It isn’t like the military magically escapes the laws of nature that make the rest of it wasteful and corrupt. This is for me the huge downside to Trump’s populism.

I am ok with increasing military spending considering how depleted it is right now after Obama. I don’t like how much they are getting and the gutting of other programs, such as the environment, to do it. I can’t tell exactly what they are going to cut to do this - though it will be coming out in the next few days.

In what way is the military depleted? We still have lots of nukes. We still have bases throughout the world. We still have troops operating throughout the world.

By the way the US military is the worlds biggest consumer of oil and in general a huge polluter. It does things like cover the countryside with Agent Orange, leaves behind depleted uranium, and even poisons the drinking water on its own bases which its troops and their family drink. It is no doubt the single worst organization for the environment in the US.

Do you propose to eliminate it? I support armed forces for the purpose of defending the country, our allies, our interests. I think that is pretty basic nationhood 101. I don’t think we should boost military spending at the expense of domestic spending to such a degree that seems to be proposed here. I also want to know exactly where and what domestic spending we cut. Sounds like foreign aid and the environment are likely to take a hit. What does that mean exactly? So much of the news is so vague. Exactly what does that mean? I think this will all come out in the next week or so. The administration is actually getting feedback from federal agencies on how to cut spending - fancy that. I wonder who thought of that.

The military needs some things given attention immediately. The sequester and Budget Control Act of 2011have certainly made life in the military more difficult. In fairness, it was not just the Obama Admin but the Tea Party budget hawks as well. The military brass have identified problems from fatal crashes due to lack of aircraft, airtime and training, to the additional troops and support equipment needed in the Middle East and the recommended increase in Somalia.

The cuts have actually begun with deregulation. But I do agree with you it’s stressful when cuts happen; for the same reason the military is suffering - from cuts.

I would eliminate most of the standing army. When you have an army sitting around the tendency is for politicians to use it.

I don’t think the US Army does much defending of our nation. They used the Orwellian trick of renaming the US Department of War to the Department of Defense after WWII when we conquered the world. I think it mostly exists to promote political interests which are of themselves bad. I don’t think that is nationhood 101 so much as empire 101.

Go here:

aviationweek.com/defense/combat-lessons-prompt-us-navy-consider-new-growler-payload

No need to log in.

Read the comments.

Then scroll to the bottom and click on another topic.

Guaranteed you will get an education.

All our equipment is worn out and obsolete. There are not enough maintainers. And the pilots are not getting enough training hours.

Several topics related to the A-10 “Warthog”:

aviationweek.com/defense/10-warthog-replacement-us-air-force-considers-two-step-approach?page=1

aviationweek.com/combat-aircraft/sliding-retirement-10s-keeps-maintainers-hopping

aviationweek.com/defense/10-warthog-replacement-us-air-force-considers-two-step-approach

aviationweek.com/defense/usaf-depots-work-keep-10s-flying-indefinitely

F-35:

aviationweek.com/combat-aircraft/f-35-excels-destroying-targets-if-they-don-t-move

B-52 re-engining:

aviationweek.com/defense/outgoing-us-bomber-chief-sees-big-payoff-b-52-engine-replacement

You can visit Google and type in " aviation week readiness " or any other topic and scroll to the bottom and read, without logging in.

The 2018 Federal Budget comes in at over $4T, $54B is barely a rounding error, not something to panic over. It’s about a 1% cut across the board. I’m fairly confident that all government agencies can absorb a 1% budget cut without impacting services.

And don’t forget all the tax cuts for the wealthy. If we increase defense spending AND make big tax cuts, AND build a wall, AND make major increases for immigration enforcement, everything else will have to get big cuts. The Obama administration spent 18 billion on immigration enforcement last year, more than on all other Federal law enforcement agencies combined including he F.B.I., the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Mr. Trump wants to increase that significantly.

And what is “anti-American” about the left? I consider myself to be on the left and am not “anti-American.”

All I am saying from the perspective of a moderate, independent (swing voter) is that these kinds massive cuts across the board - on the domestic side - are a PR minefield. Protesting against the EO travel ban, the wall, fine, middle class Americans sit at home, many, over half, quietly supporting the President. This is different. Cuts affect people’s everyday lives, the quality of life. It makes the Democrats look like an option to be considered again. Look at support for Obamacare. We are handing the left a gift they don’t deserve. Just watch this unfold. This is where Trump will get hit and it will stick - unless he is careful with a light touch. He can’t strip all this down too much, with a huge bloated military.

There is no such thing as too much defense, so although my stomach churns at our current leader, + 1.

Let’s hope though, that we remember that the goal of strength is not to fight but to enforce peace.

ICXC NIKA

How can a 1% cut in federal spending be in any meaningful way described as “massive”?

Trump’s budget will call for a $54 billion increase in defense spending over the Budget Control Act level set for fiscal 2018, offset by a $54 billion cut to other discretionary federal government spending. With veterans’ benefits exempted from those cuts, that amounts to a 12 percent reduction in the other spending in fiscal 2018. “It’s the largest proposed reduction since the early years of the Reagan administration,” Mulvaney said.

washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-trumps-budget-will-cut-foreign-aid/article/2615900

:popcorn:

Discretionary spending excludes Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, and Food Stamps. Again, not seeing the end of the world from here.

Trump is a fascist. All the signs are there. Ignore them at your peril:

-Cult of personality
-Discrediting/blocking the media
-Alternative facts propaganda/passing lies as truth
-Massive increase in defence spending
-Surrounding yourself with yes men/women and family members
-Using the position to enrich yourself/family with no regard to conflicts of interest
-Demonizing an entire religion/ethnic group
-Planning pogroms to get rid of undesirables.

Kristallnacht next?

How can anybody claiming to be Catholic support this man?

Good luck my American friends, and adieu. You are about to relive history. May God and your political system protect you from him.

Over and out.

Really, 8% is a massive increase? A prelude to death camps? Dude, get help.:eek:
Pro-tip, in Russia, calling Stalin a fascist would have gotten you sent to Siberia. If you can call a national leader a fascist with no fear of retribution, you’re calling the wrong guy a fascist.

MODERATOR NOTE

Please do not call any US politician a fascist or any other derogatory term they are considered uncharitable

Common core math.

The signals sent out by Mr. Trump are very alarming:

-Discrediting/blocking the media
-Alternative facts propaganda/passing lies as truth/not checking facts before tweeting (and for that matter governing by tweet…)
-Very large increase in defence spending well beyond inflationary levels
-Demonizing an entire religion/ethnic group

I think the US is headed down a very rocky road. I pray that God and the checks and balances of your political system, which I admire, will protect the US.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.