Trump team cuts references to LGBT people and climate change from White House website

ibtimes.co.uk/trump-team-cuts-references-lgbt-people-climate-change-white-house-website-1602291?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous&yptr=yahoo

In actions described as ‘truly disturbing’ Donald Trump’s administration has removed most references to climate change and a dedicated LGBT page from the White House website.

“The website’s lone climate reference is to eliminate the Climate Action Plan, which is a wholesale attack that flies in the face of common sense and would do harm to all Americans.”

Excerpt from Snopes.com:

WHAT’S TRUE: The terms “LGBT” and “climate change” were absent from WhiteHouse.gov immediately after Inauguration Day 2017.

WHAT’S FALSE: The majority of content on WhiteHouse.gov was transferred to ObamaWhiteHouse.gov on Inauguration Day, and the terms “LGBT” and “climate change” were not specifically removed by Donald Trump.

However, it’s inaccurate to say that these terms were specifically scrubbed from the site by Donald Trump. **On 17 January 2017, **WhiteHouse.gov issued an announcement explaining the digital transition that would take place on Inauguration Day. For instance, all of the messages posted by Barack Obama under the @POTUS handle on Twitter were transferred to a new @POTUS44 account, giving Donald Trump the opportunity to take over the previous presidential Twitter account @POTUS.

In the same way, the content related to the Obama administration on WhiteHouse.gov was migrated to a new web site, ObamaWhiteHouse.Archives.gov:

As of this writing, Whitehouse.gov is sparsely populated. Its blog currently hosts one post (about the inaugural address), while pages for Press Briefings, Statements, Nominations, and Presidential Actions are all blank.

Full story at link: snopes.com/white-house-web-site-trump-changes/

I wonder how this rumour was started, and how the publication’s fact-checkers didn’t find this easily-available information. :confused::shrug:

I am a little bit confused. So basically the changes are temporary? Is that what happened? Sorry but I just woke up and my brain isn’t working at full capacity yet. ;):stuck_out_tongue:

Just more of the continuation of facts not mattering. If it promotes the agenda it is true enough.:rolleyes:

From what I understand, Obama’s policies are archived and put somewhere else and will be replaced with Trump’s. So naturally, these changes are made. This happens when a new President takes over. It isn’t proof of Trump being evil and homophobic. It’s likely that the references will be put back. We will see

Starting at noon yesterday there were some big changes at the White House web site whitehouse.gov

The Climate Change page is now the America First Energy Plan

In the White House issues section was a bold proclamation having to do with the nation’s law enforcement officers and it has nothing to do with finding more efficient ways to lock up cops. The title reads, Standing Up For Our Law Enforcement Community, and it includes:

One of the fundamental rights of every American is to live in a safe community. A Trump Administration will empower our law enforcement officers to do their jobs and keep our streets free of crime and violence. The Trump Administration will be a law and order administration. President Trump will honor our men and women in uniform and will support their mission of protecting the public. The dangerous anti-police atmosphere in America is wrong. The Trump Administration will end it.

and

Our job is not to make life more comfortable for the rioter, the looter, or the violent disrupter. Our job is to make life more comfortable for parents who want their kids to be able to walk the streets safely. Or the senior citizen waiting for a bus. Or the young child walking home from school.

hat tip

We will have to see. I’m not sure DT cares if references to LGBT are put back. But Pence and others who have DT’s ear and who control his strings, I’m less certain about.

Obama had a huge initiative to promote gay rights. That was obviously on his bucket list.

I don’t think that is a huge priority for this administration one way or the other. They seem to be focused on helping out the inner cities and the middle class working folks. This is an administration, I think focused on the middle class and inner cities and focused on their issues.

Listening to Trump’s speech again, the major themes seem to be:

[LIST]
*]Bringing jobs back to the US, making sure whatever the government does puts America first.
*]Government is controlled by the people, not the politicians.
*]Improving the nation’s infrastructure and inner cities
*]Making sure our inner cities are safe
*]Defeating Islamic terrorism
[/LIST]

We haven’t seen this sort of focus for a very long time. Neither from Republicans or Democrats. Echos some themes Abraham Lincoln had as well as Andrew Jackson

No when a new administration comes into office the website is changed. The changes are permanent. What is added to the website will be the policies and initiatives of the current administration, not the past one.

I like the themes in his speech.

:clapping:

George Will hated it, so I guess it hit all the right points :cool:

Poor George. :slight_smile:

Right on! This is why Trump got elected, not because of Russia! And he’d better deliver soon.

Well, opposing the homosexual agenda is not evil or homophobic anyway. True love consists in preaching the Truth to all, including the homosexual community. Admonishing the sinner is a work of mercy after all. Despite the fact that some leftists would have us believe that Catholic teaching is hateful and homophobic, the opposite is true. The Truth is the most loving thing because it shows concern for our eternal welfare and not only our temporal welfare.

I as well. :thumbsup:

Me too.

We all need to read things carefully.

I especially liked the parts in his speech about drugs, gangs, “rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation,” people trapped in poverty and “American carnage”. It makes me feel so optimistic about being an American and about the future. :wink:

It all depends if you have (are) living through it or not I suppose. I think his speech spoke to a lot of Americans and echo’d a lot of opinions out there.

Yes, it certainly is happening. Progressives aren’t the only ones allowed to notice things that need to be changed.

Agree that Obama promoted gay rights in kind of a weird way - huge emphasis with respect to so many other issues facing all Americans. I don’t think it was good for society; in fact it did a lot of untold harm and was incredibly divisive. That said, I also believe Trump is completely neutral on this issue - hands off. Which is appropriate, at least from a Catholic standpoint. (I mean beyond protecting religious liberty)

To me, the environment is a mountain to the molehill of gay marriage or transgender bathroom struggles. The environment affects us all; maintaining a healthy planet and handling our resources responsibly is a major individual, social and national responsibility. The debate about climate change should be taken seriously, an open forum for scientists to discuss. We do need to consider the effects of resource consumption, development on the planet; it is a quality of life issue. It is also a Catholic issue. The country does not need more individual freedom at the cost of healthy social stability; it needs more collective social responsibility.

We need a coherent, mainstream opposition to Trump if he crosses the line on the environment. The left needs to calm down and get their wits about them. Stop worrying about getting men into women’s bathrooms, strobe light rainbows, and start worrying about federal lands. I fear not enough of them will be coherent enough to negotiate, find compromise with Trump, really work from the center, for the good of the majority. The left is kind of a niche party these days.

My point is Trump will talk - if you can just get coherent, sane moderate liberals and Republicans to talk to him about the environment. He will give his opponents a chance, hearing. Do deals. Don’t blow it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.