TRUMP THREAD: Is death penalty support linked to belief that even minor criminals are "animals"?

“We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in — and we’re stopping a lot of them — but we’re taking people out of the country. You wouldn’t believe how bad these people are. These aren’t people. These are animals. And we’re taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that’s never happened before. And because of the weak laws, they come in fast, we get them, we release them, we get them again, we bring them out. It’s crazy”

Is it really surprising that if people will think this makes a good President, they will kick and scream when Pope Francis comes down hard on capital punishment?

According to Politico (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/05/17/trump-immigrants-animals-595118), Trump was calling members of the MS-13 gang animals. This is actually a common metaphor in English, to call misbehaving people animals. It doesn’t mean we think the person is somehow not human, just that they are doing bad, subhuman things.

The MS-13 gang members are not minor criminals and no one is calling for the DP for minor criminals.

In the title of your thread, you put “animals” in quotes, which makes clear your understanding that he is using the term metaphorically, not literally.
So, no, it has nothing to do with support for capital punishment, which I generally do not hold.

This article references the Pope himself calling people “animals”

Christ died for us all so each and everyone of us could be redeemed.

Anyone could commit a sin and then repent of that sin.

The state of one’s soul on the day of death is what matters.

The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Which means refusing the Lord’s forgiveness.

What an uncharitable thing to say about fellow humans.
And I see you made a second thread after the first was closed

Flagged both

Actually, he was quoting the President, who was metaphorically describing members of MS-13, a notorious gang which commits really horrible crimes.

So, you’re saying the OP is quoting a title, “Animal “.

Quotation marks are also used to highlight that word is being used in a sense different from the usual use.

Long answer? Um…no.

Yes, I know. We are human, degrading us to the level of animals degrades God’s creation and is a refusal to accept that God raised us in dominion over animals, as their custodians.

The devil is very crafty in causing us to deny aspects of God. We must be fully alert to them. And deny them.

We are Catholic, not secular. These words co e from a leader, a person in public office. We pray our leaders will lead us in the right way, according to the law of God.

KR234. You complained about . . .

they will kick and scream when Pope Francis comes down hard on capital punishment?

Aside from the state “killing a bad guy” do you understand what some people are “kicking and screaming” about?

I ask this because your post suggests (to me anyway), that you do not have a full understanding of WHY at least some Catholics are complaining about the recent CCC changes.

You also said . . .

Is it really surprising that if people will think this makes a good President . . .

What makes you so sure that President Trump’s quote about MS 13 members and euphemistically referring to them as “animals”, is THE REASON people think Trump makes a good president?

Was Jesus wrong when He euphemistically referred to Herod as “fox”? Or when when Jesus warned about “vultures”?

How about if a guy named Peter Singer was actively supporting child murder up to six months old, and “Trump” came out and answered when life BEGINS was . . .

. . . Above his pay grade?

And can we assume (based on your “reasoning”) that all the people who voted for Obama did so
BECAUSE of that ridiculous response of his (Obama’s)?

Did someone get kicked? I haven’t heard any screams either.

To answer the question :slight_smile:

Is the death penalty support linked to the belief that even minor criminals are “animals”?

No

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.