Trump threatens to sue Cruz for 'not being a natural born citizen'

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump on Friday threatened to sue Ted Cruz for “not being a natural born citizen” if the Texas senator “doesn’t clean up his act” and stop running negative ads against him.

“If @TedCruz doesn’t clean up his act, stop cheating, & doing negative ads, I have standing to sue him for not being a natural born citizen,” he tweeted.

cnn.com/2016/02/12/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-dishonest/index.html?sr=twCNN021216donald-trump-ted-cruz-dishonest0854PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=21232341

Oh brother. :rolleyes: Ted Cruz’s mother is American so thus that would make Cruz himself a natural born citizen.

I think if Donald Trump sued over this, it could engender a lot of sympathy for Ted Cruz, and potentially destroy Donald Trump’s chances to become the Republican nominee.

But hasn’t Donald Trump now threatened this multiple times? Do it or don’t do it, but why keep threatening to and then not do anything?

Perhaps also if sued Ted Cruz, a box of worms could open for Donald Trump? Ted Cruz has said in regards to “birther theories” that “some of the more extreme ones insist that you must not only be born on U.S. soil, but have two parents born on U.S. soil

Thus under that view, Bobby Jindal and Donald Trump wouldn’t be considered Natural Born Citizens, along with Ted Cruz, because at least one of their parents was not US born. Where could the line with drawn if a lawsuit was launched?

Can you imagine this bombastic man with the red telephone at his bedside?

Exactly. And some wonder why people are calling for Romney to jump back in. Can you imagine how different things would be if Romney had won in 2012?

Trump supporters file ‘birther’ lawsuit against Cruz in federal court

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/269281-trump-supporters-file-federal-lawsuit-challenging-cruzs

But that wasn’t the case when the Constitution was written and it didn’t become statute until, iirc the 1950s. Previous to that women who married foreigners did not pass their US citizenship onto their children.

I think it would be in Cruz’s own interest to get this settled. I think a case can be made that he is a citizen by statute but not “natural born”.

Trump and his followers must be concerned about Cruz.

There really is no stability or sanity left on either side of the aisle. We are getting exactly what we deserve. I’d make some popcorn if it wasn’t all so sad.

BTW, this won’t help Trump–even though he did not file the suit, people will put it on him for raising the issue so many times.

The requirement in Article II that one be a “natural-born citizen” in order to be eligible for the presidency simply means that one be a citizen from birth, rather than subsequently becoming a citizen by later naturalization.

This was the understanding of the clause given by the very first Congress in a bill passed in 1790 and signed into law by President George Washington: “Children of citizens of the United States, that may be born beyond the sea, or out of the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural-born citizens.”

So, by that long-standing interpretation, Sen. Cruz is clearly a natural-born citizen and therefore eligible for the presidency.

Of course, but Trump does not like how close Cruz is getting, so he’ll try anything in hopes something will stick.

Lots of people bring up Obama and the birth stuff about him. The difference with that one was Obama refused to simply show the nation his birth certificate–that would have ended it right away. Cruz hasn’t hidden anything.

doesn’t Trump have more important things to worry about? I agree this could hurt Trump. We have been living for 8 years with a divisive president. People are tired and want to move on in a positive way and have peace. They don’t want lawsuits. They want jobs and a good economy.

He’s grabbing the news cycle and seeing if he can plant a seed in the minds of the next debate moderators.

Pretty smart move in my opinion.

I still think Rubio should try to get this issue settled early. If he is elected someone will challenge it and we will have another Presidential election going to the Supreme Court – not a good outcome.

I can’t see how he has any problem. He was born here. People can say whatever they want about so-called anchor babies–but the man was born here and that still qualifies as natural born.

I think it makes him look petty and scared.

:eek:

Actually, Trump has been more sneaky than that. He has whipped Ted around with the not-a-citizen bit by saying things like, “Other people are very concerned about Cruz’s eligibility to run because he is not a natural born citizen. I’m not saying that I believe this, but it certainly seems to concern a lot of people.”

This tweet is actually the first time I recall The Donald being so threateningly direct with it. Mayhaps he’s scared of Cruz’s chances in the next vote.

Ah, South Carolina - my beautiful home state sure does bring out the sleaze in people when it comes to the political process. :shrug:

Wow!

It really borders on a threat–you do X, and I won’t sue you.

Yet, Trump has been Trumped by his own people because they have filed suit against Cruz.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.