Trump to meet in Mexico with the country’s president

Donald Trump is jetting to Mexico City on Wednesday for a meeting with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, just hours before he delivers a high-stakes speech in Arizona to clarify his views on immigration policy, according to people in the United States and Mexico familiar with the discussions.

Peña Nieto last Friday invited both Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton to visit Mexico, his office said in a statement provided to The Washington Post on Tuesday night.

Trump, sensing an opportunity, decided over the weekend to accept the invitation and push for a visit this week, according to the people familiar with the discussions.

washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-considers-last-minute-meeting-in-mexico-with-the-countrys-president/2016/08/30/5a694790-6f12-11e6-9705-23e51a2f424d_story.html

Gee. What could possibly go wrong?

Pretty shrewd, Mexico will need to respond to the substance and not convenient soundbites.

That he will be educated and learn that Mexico isn’t paying for the wall?

That’s my first thought.

Doesn’t everyone know by now that he doesn’t meant that the Mexican government will literally pay, but that the revenues created at home by jobs coming back home from Mexico and trading to Mexico will be what pays for it?

He also means that Mexico will “pay” when gang members who are illegal immigrants are deported back to Mexico (for the ones who are actually Mexicans).

He’s playing to the people who actually think Mexican Govt will take out their check books, which it is not what he really means.

Why would you deport a criminal, a felon?

Those are the ones you want to lock up whether there here legally or not. Because guess what, you send them back, and in several months they’ll be right back.

What happens to illegal immigrants currently who commit a crime and are found guilty? Are they deported and made to serve out the sentence in the country they have come from or serve out the sentence in America?

I am not sure a country where somebody is an illegal immigrant should have to pay out whatever the costs are for the prison for somebody that commited a crime while in the country illegally.

Wait wait wait, isn’t hillary the serious candidate? How come she isn’t invited to meet with the Mexican president???

She was invited, but I heard from Ainsley Harris on Fox and Friends, “that he was the only one that accepted that invitation.”

So you have an illegal immigrant who is here from let’s say Latin America. Crashes under the influence and kills a family of 5. Your telling me you would have him deported and serve time in their home country?

Not to sound rude but that won’t happen.

Nope. Trump’s plan on his own website literally says that Mexico will take out their checkbooks and pay for the wall.

On day 3 tell Mexico that if the Mexican government will contribute the funds needed to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation will not go into effect.

donaldjtrump.com/positions/pay-for-the-wall

He does say this a bit later:

Visa fees: Even a small increase in visa fees would pay for the wall.

But it doesn’t even fit with the narrative of the paragraph it’s in.

The timeline is also reads like it was written by someone running for class president promising to lessen homework. The fact that he thinks this will happen in 3 days is almost cute…if he weren’t an actual candidate.

Former Mexican President Vicente Fox apologized on behalf of the country during an interview on CNN, accusing both Trump and Peña Nieto for using the occasion to exploit their own political opportunities.
“It’s a very opportunistic move, and I hope U.S. public opinion, U.S. citizens can see this and finally, and finally see what is behind Trump, this false prophet that is just cheating everybody,” Fox said during the Skype chat on “New Day” on Wednesday, adding that it is “a desperate move and I don’t see how it can work at all.”

Read more: politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-mexico-visit-margarita-zavala-de-calderon-227577#ixzz4Iv7wReYt
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

I have been less than impressed with Vicente Fox ever since a Mexican priest in our diocese went on a rant right in church about what a deceptive character Fox is, and how his concern for the people of Mexico is zero. He didn’t give details, but I got the message.

I think this depends… The problem is that there are members of the drug cartel who WANT to be in American prisons. There, they recruit new gang members and when they are released, they go to work for the cartel and gangs they were recruited in while in prison.

Keeping those illegals in our prisons is perhaps doing more damage than good.

We need to have flexibility to do what is in America’s best interest.

There are many ways that Trump can indirectly get Mexico to pay for the wall. I think people take what Trump says verbatim, when there is more to his message/words.

As-is illegal immigrants in the US estimated cost to US taxpayers is over 100 million dollars a year. “IF” US taxpayers were to pay for the wall Trump estimates it will cost no more than 12 million dollars, some others estimate 25 million.

Take your pick, I guess, if it came down to the US taxpayers paying for a wall. Personally I would have no problem paying for it. As-is we are already paying for illegal immigrants. As the number of illegal immigrants raises so will that +100 million dollar/year cost to us US taxpayers. There is no denying that Trump is right when he says the wall will pay for itself - the numbers don’t lie.

Actually the anticipated costs are in the billions, around 25 billion

It’s strange that Vicente Fox ceased to be Mexico’s president ten years ago, yet I still see his name bandied about on a regular basis - and yet all the while I have no idea who the current president is.

When did Donald Trump actually say any of your statement? Can you site a credible source please?

I want to hear his “clarification” of his immigration policy. Being an immigrant myself, I am very sensitive to the issue. Perhaps this is why I tend to hold a libertarian position.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.