Trump Will Keep Intact Obama-Era Order Protecting LGBTQ Employees of Federal Contractors

The White House announced Tuesday that President Trump will leave intact a 2014 Obama-era order protecting LGBTQ employees who work for federal contractors from workplace discrimination.

The announcement came after reports that an executive order affecting the LGBTQ community was coming.

“President Donald J. Trump is determined to protect the rights of all Americans, including the LGBTQ community,” the statement said. “The President is proud to have been the first ever GOP nominee to mention the LGBTQ community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression.”

abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-intact-obama-era-order-protecting-lgbtq-employees/story?id=45162560

I’m surprised this hasn’t drawn more comments. As for myself, there’s no big surprise here.

It surprised me given Pence. This is positive and I’ll applaud him.

Good for him. Several of my husband’s coworkers are gay and it would be a shame for these qualified men to be fired for no real reason.

Trump has said that gay marriage is a settled issue.

Yes, Trump did get something right both during the campaign and as President. Kudos!

Not happy, but who knows, maybe down the road this will get rolled back. Can only hope.

You want the government to fire gay people for being gay?

What was it Lincoln said, You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

In my life I’ve never had a president that didn’t disappoint me on some issues, or please me on others- regardless of party.

Well at least people who disagree with Trump on essentially keeping the status quo regarding LGBT issues, don’t have to worry about being called liberal prochoice Obama lovers, just because they don’t support him 100%.

This^

Sounds great! This has nothing to do with gay marriage, by the way, but rather addresses work place discrimination. There is not thing immoral about necessary discrimination, but there Catholic teaching warns against unjust discrimination.

In certain situations, or for certain jobs, yes. It’s also not necessarily wanting to be able to fire homosexuals but that these civil rights translate into costly regulations, policies, and lawsuits. It also means a lot of unqualified homosexuals keep their job because managers are afraid to fire them.

What exactly is unjust though?

Firing a woman for being a woman would be unjust, if the job was welding. It would not be unjust if the job was playing the role of General Patton.

Not if the job required a man.

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Going by that logic we shouldn’t allow for laws preventing discrimination and firing people because of race or biological sex either. After all, it could lead to people who should be fired remained working because of fear of reprisal for firing said person.

So firing person simply for experiencing attractions to the same sex is okay? It seems to imply that a person with same sex attractions should expect their job security to depend on their ablity to stay closeted?

Unless, of course, you wanted a woman to play General Patton on purpose. :smiley:

Right. So, if a job required, say upholding religious teaching in the context of a religious school, there is a reason for discrimination based on something contrary to that religious teaching. However, if the gay guy is delivering the mail, discrimination would not be just.

Cool, I’m firmly against firing gay people just for being gay.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.