Trump's "Great Again"

I apologize if this post should not go in Popular Media, but I wasn’t sure where to put it.

I bought Trump’s “Great Again” on audible. I was listening to Chapter 2 on the media. Here are some snippets (I apologize in advance for any transcription errors):

I am perhaps a controversial person. I say what is on my mind… I don’t use pollsters… The media loves my candor…I give people what they need and deserve to hear … that is the truth… We don’t have time to waste on being politically correct…

Later on:

The whole debate format has worked fine for me… I get more minutes, more coverage, and more requests for interviews than anyone else. And what is most important for America, the opportunity to talk directly to the people. There are many reporters whom I have a lot of respect for, especially in the financial media. When the financial journalists interview you, they know what they are doing and they ask direct questions and provide important information to their viewers. There is money at stake and they don’t play the same silly gotcha games that the political media do. They can’t afford to. I don’t mind being attacked. I use the media the way the media uses me to attract attention. Once I have that attention, it is up to me to use it to my advantage. I learned a long time ago that if you are not afraid to be outspoken, the media will write about you or beg you to come on their shows. If you do things a little differently, or you say outrageous things, and fight back, they love you. So sometimes I make outrageous comments and give them what they want for the viewers and readers in order to make a point. I am a business man with a brand to sell… I am using those business talents to inspire people that we can turn things around.

Honestly, I find this last part in bold a little reassuring. Because he has said some things that are pretty scary if taken at face value. I wonder how many of his comments fall into the “Outrageous” category?

God bless,
Ut

I apologize if this post should not go in Popular Media, but I wasn’t sure where to put it.

I bought Trump’s “Great Again” on audible. I was listening to Chapter 2 on the media. Here are some snippets (I apologize in advance for any transcription errors):

I am perhaps a controversial person. I say what is on my mind… I don’t use pollsters… The media loves my candor…I give people what they need and deserve to hear … that is the truth… We don’t have time to waste on being politically correct…

Later on:

The whole debate format has worked fine for me… I get more minutes, more coverage, and more requests for interviews than anyone else. And what is most important for America, the opportunity to talk directly to the people. There are many reporters whom I have a lot of respect for, especially in the financial media. When the financial journalists interview you, they know what they are doing and they ask direct questions and provide important information to their viewers. There is money at stake and they don’t play the same silly gotcha games that the political media do. They can’t afford to. I don’t mind being attacked. I use the media the way the media uses me to attract attention. Once I have that attention, it is up to me to use it to my advantage. I learned a long time ago that if you are not afraid to be outspoken, the media will write about you or beg you to come on their shows. If you do things a little differently, or you say outrageous things, and fight back, they love you. So sometimes I make outrageous comments and give them what they want for the viewers and readers in order to make a point. I am a business man with a brand to sell… I am using those business talents to inspire people that we can turn things around.

Honestly, I find this last part in bold a little reassuring. Because he has said some things that are pretty scary if taken at face value. I wonder how many of his comments fall into the “Outrageous” category?

God bless,
Ut

Sorry for the duplicate thread. It was an accident… not sure how to delete this second one.

This doesn’t surprise me in the least. He knows how to work the media. Trump talks big. He exaggerates to make a point. Does anyone really imagine he was serious about building a physical wall across our entire southern border, while making Mexico pay for it? I know a lot of people do, but I never took it seriously. He’s a showman.

I’m sure that we will hear him dial back the rhetoric and explain what he “really meant” with all the over-the-top language on the campaign trail. I predict that in a few years, many will look back and wonder why they were ever so afraid in the first place. Once Trump goes about doing the business of being president and people realize that he is not Hitler reincarnated, they’ll soften up a bit.

Well, the wall takes up most of his chapter on immigration in his book. He seriously plans on building the wall. He is even going to put up a nice door to make it look inviting. :eek: He reassures his readers that it wont cost too much.

I was thinking more along the lines of his stance on deporting all Muslims! His actual stance on his web page is that he will put much tighter screening of Muslim immigrants from states that have problems with terrorism. Also, he actually wants to increase legal immigration for people who go through the proper process. He talks a long time about how it is not fair to folks who wait for years to immigrate to the U.S. when others just cross the border illegally.

Just from reading the book, I get the feeling that he is going to make a lot of enemies. Especially with unions. For example the teachers unions. He is also going to put a pay freeze on the public service and start phasing out jobs through attrition. But he plans on increasing the military spending and infrastructure spending.

God bless,
Ut

I guess I never took the wall idea seriously. But maybe he is more serious about it than I realize. My predictive barometer has been way off with Trump. I thought he’d be an amusing distraction during the primaries and that he’d drop out after the first week. I never imagined he’d win the primary let alone the general election. I should probably stop trying to predict what he will actually do. Instead, I need to just pray for him and the nation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.