Trusting in Divine Mercy

I keep screwing up lately, and the more I refuse God's forgiveness the more I sin. I can't go to confession yet, but I know I should trust in God's mercy. Yet I can't trust in His mercy because I am afraid of sinning by presuming His forgiveness outside the sacrament. It's a self-defeating cycle. I want to be on good terms with God again, but I don't want to presume His will.

What advice do you have for me?

it’s never wrong to trust in God’s mercy. Trust is one of the defenses we have against the enemy. God knows you can’t go to Confession yet… His mercy is not bound by the fact that you’re still in RCIA. (For example, did you know that if a person in RCIA dies, they are considered a Catholic?) Confession is the ordinary way to be forgiven, but you’re not presuming His mercy if you ask Him to forgive you and for the grace to make a good Confession as soon as you’re able.

If it’s presumptious to believe that He has already forgiven you (that is something I don’t know) - then think of His mercy and that your sins will be washed away quite soon. Then try to not add to them :slight_smile:

[quote="JaredR, post:1, topic:183495"]
I .

What advice do you have for me?

[/quote]

Go to confession, no excuses.

if this were a discussion about a human relationship, the advice would be the same, go to that person and ask forgiveness.

this is about healing your relationship with God

God bless you we will be praying for you and your courage will give us strength to do the same.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:183495"]
Go to confession, no excuses.

if this were a discussion about a human relationship, the advice would be the same, go to that person and ask forgiveness.

this is about healing your relationship with God

God bless you we will be praying for you and your courage will give us strength to do the same.

[/quote]

I am not Catholic yet. I would love to go to confession.

As you look forward to full communion with the Catholic Church and being able to participate in the sacraments,
pray for forgiveness of your sins and ask God to help you to avoid sin.

Also ask God to help you make a good confession when you are finally able.

Yes, rely on God’s mercy in anticipation of your first confession. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the answers everyone. It's difficult to trust in something you know you don't deserve. Please pray for me if you have a moment.

[quote="JaredR, post:4, topic:183495"]
I am not Catholic yet. I would love to go to confession.

[/quote]

may a perfect act of contrition:

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

and depending on where you are in the process -- you may be able to go to confession so talk with the Priest.... and even if not yet ...you can intend to as soon as you can....

here is an act of contrition you can use:

Act of Contrition

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because of thy just punishments, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html#A)%20COMMON%20PRAYERS%20COMMON%20PRAYERS)

and this book can be very helpful

frjacquesphilippe.com/books/searching_forand_maintaining_peace.html

and read the New Testament....of all Christs love for those who are struggling with sin....his parables ...the lost coin....the sheep who strays and the shepherd goes after him....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.