Truth about "Cheesehead" Mass

I want to set the record straight on a so-called “Cheesehead” Mass that was posted in another thread. It had to do with Archbishop Timothy Dolan of Milwaukee allegedly wearing a cheesehead during Mass. I want to make this as clear as possible: ARCHBISHOP DOLAN DID NOT OFFER MASS WHILE WEARING A CHEESEHEAD!!!

Archbishop Dolan offered a Mass outdoors on September 8, 2002, which also happened to be the opening day of the NFL season. The Packers were playing the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field in Green Bay at the same time. Dolan had just been installed as Archbishop of Milwaukee a week and a half earlier. At the start of his homily, he pulled out a cheesehead and briefly wore it while stating that although he had been living in St. Louis, he is originally from Milwaukee and he knows how important the Packers are to the people of Wisconsin. He made a comment about still being a Cardinals fan in baseball but wanted to assure everyone when it came to football he is a Packers fan. The people got a laugh out of it.

It took you longer to read my post than the amount of time Dolan wore the cheesehead. As the resident Packers fan here and someone with relatives in Wisconsin, what Dolan did was a way to ingratiate himself to the people and provide a light-hearted moment, considering the scandal that has gone on in Milwaukee.

Anyone who doesn’t believe I’m the resident Packers fan here, challenge me to any type of Packers trivia you want and you’ll find out! :wink:

Thank you for your post. We might have to deploy your unit against the Ultra-Traditionalists that have moved against the lines.

What frightens me is that it look longer for me to read your statement than it did for one picture to get blown up out of proportion. Thank you for the explanation. Makes a lot more sense put into context.

And most importantly, the good Archbishop is still a Cardinal baseball fan!! If he’d just have worn a Birds on the bat logo hat instead of a cheesehead, there would never have been this silly misunderstanding:D .

Kris

[quote=kwitz]And most importantly, the good Archbishop is still a Cardinal baseball fan!! If he’d just have worn a Birds on the bat logo hat instead of a cheesehead, there would never have been this silly misunderstanding:D .

Kris
[/quote]

Archbishop Dolan is still a Cardinals fan. Nobody’s perfect. :smiley:

I appreciate the comments about my post. I just wanted to set the record straight. I notice no ultra-Traditionalists from Wisconsin said anything about Dolan wearing a cheesehead. :wink:

Go anywhere in Wisconsin on a Sunday during football season and you’ll see even at the Tridentine Masses people wearing Packers jackets, hats, scarves, and gloves to Mass. The Packers are more than just a football team in Wisconsin, they are a way of life.

I have heard this explanation before and wonder what all the fuss was about. Archbishop Dolan is an excellent leader for Milwaukee, and those complaining about the cheesehead need to lighten up.

And I say this not only as someone who prefers properly celebrated Masses, but also as a BEARS fan! http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

-Illini

[quote=Swiss Guard]**I want to set the record straight on a so-called “Cheesehead” Mass that was posted in another thread. It had to do with Archbishop Timothy Dolan of Milwaukee allegedly wearing a cheesehead during Mass. I want to make this as clear as possible: **ARCHBISHOP DOLAN DID NOT OFFER MASS WHILE WEARING A CHEESEHEAD!!!

Archbishop Dolan offered a Mass outdoors on September 8, 2002, which also happened to be the opening day of the NFL season. The Packers were playing the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field in Green Bay at the same time. Dolan had just been installed as Archbishop of Milwaukee a week and a half earlier. At the start of his homily, he pulled out a cheesehead and briefly wore it while stating that although he had been living in St. Louis, he is originally from Milwaukee and he knows how important the Packers are to the people of Wisconsin. He made a comment about still being a Cardinals fan in baseball but wanted to assure everyone when it came to football he is a Packers fan. The people got a laugh out of it.

It took you longer to read my post than the amount of time Dolan wore the cheesehead. As the resident Packers fan here and someone with relatives in Wisconsin, what Dolan did was a way to ingratiate himself to the people and provide a light-hearted moment, considering the scandal that has gone on in Milwaukee.

Anyone who doesn’t believe I’m the resident Packers fan here, challenge me to any type of Packers trivia you want and you’ll find out! :wink:
[/quote]

Well, thank God and the Holy Angels, now we have to find a way to bookmark this when the pic comes up again in threads about the evil of the Mass of Paul VI! You did Holy Mother Church a service.

[quote=Illini]I have heard this explanation before and wonder what all the fuss was about. Archbishop Dolan is an excellent leader for Milwaukee, and those complaining about the cheesehead need to lighten up.

And I say this not only as someone who prefers properly celebrated Masses, but also as a BEARS fan! http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

-Illini
[/quote]

I was sorry to hear the news about the death of Illinois basketball coach Bruce Weber’s mother after the Illini’s game against Northwestern on Friday. She suffered a rupture of the aorta and died in surgery. Requiescat in pace.

I’m also sorry to hear you’re a Bears fan. Don’t you know the G on the Packers helmet stands for God’s team! :smiley:

[quote=JKirkLVNV]Well, thank God and the Holy Angels, now we have to find a way to bookmark this when the pic comes up again in threads about the evil of the Mass of Paul VI! You did Holy Mother Church a service.
[/quote]

Thank you for your kind remarks. While I love the Tridentine Mass, I see no reason to question the validity or licitness of the Novus Ordo Mass. Christ offers Himself to the Father in the Holy Spirit through the priest in all Masses approved by Holy Mother Church.

For the record, the Packers did win that day, 37-34 in overtime against the Falcons. Brett Favre had to bring the Packers back from a 21-10 halftime deficit.

[quote=Swiss Guard]****
[/quote]

Sure I have a question, why is Brett Favre a sellout?

http://www.traditio.com/comment/com0209j.jpgSeems to me that he is at the Ambo alright and not at the Altar. Now what about that Altar Cloth :confused:.

I’m also sorry to hear you’re a Bears fan. Don’t you know the G on the Packers helmet stands for God’s team! http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Actually, methinks God is both an Illini and Bears fan. Why else would the sun be orange and the sky blue?

-Illini

But it doesn’t say you can’t wear one during mass in the GIRM or the rubics

:wink:

But it doesn’t say you can’t wear one during mass in the GIRM or the rubics

This kind of argument doesn’t hold much weight, IMO.

A few years back, during a WCW wrestling match, Terry Funk put a plastic bag over Ric Flair’s head. The federation officials had wanted to suspend Mr. Funk for the infraction, but Funk appealed using the exact same argument.

Actually, Funk won his appeal on the basis that the rules of wrestling didn’t specifically ban the using of plastic bags.

But I didn’t think it was necessary to specify, and I don’t think it should be necessary to specifically ban bishops from wearing cheeseheads either.

[quote=Catholic Dude]Sure I have a question, why is Brett Favre a sellout?
[/quote]

Sellout? How is Brett Favre a sellout?

**I don’t know what you mean but I’m thisclose to putting you on ignore. Flamatory remarks about Favre or the Packers will not be tolerated! :mad: **

[quote=Kielbasi]A few years back, during a WCW wrestling match, Terry Funk put a plastic bag over Ric Flair’s head. The federation officials had wanted to suspend Mr. Funk for the infraction, but Funk appealed using the exact same argument.

Actually, Funk won his appeal on the basis that the rules of wrestling didn’t specifically ban the using of plastic bags.
[/quote]

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

[quote=Genesis315]Originally Posted by Kielbasi
This kind of argument doesn’t hold much weight, IMO.

A few years back, during a WCW wrestling match, Terry Funk put a plastic bag over Ric Flair’s head. The federation officials had wanted to suspend Mr. Funk for the infraction, but Funk appealed using the exact same argument.

But I didn’t think it was necessary to specify, and I don’t think it should be necessary to specifically ban bishops from wearing cheeseheads either.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
[/quote]

To be the man, you’ve got to beat the man!

Whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you?

And that’s the bottom line cuz STONE COLD SAID SO!

If you smellllllllllllllllll, what THE ROCK, isssssssssssss cookin!

OK, enough of that :smiley:

One more: Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat. - Bobby “The Brain” Heenan

Isn’t this the definition of formal wear in Wisco?

[quote=Swiss Guard]Sellout? How is Brett Favre a sellout?

**I don’t know what you mean but I’m thisclose to putting you on ignore. Flamatory remarks about Favre or the Packers will not be tolerated! :mad: **
[/quote]

Tolerated? Im sick and tired of them every year when they have a great season and then they flop in the playoffs. When the Packers are losing in the playoffs I never see Favre angry or sad, its like he doesnt care.

Question: Why do the Packers have a great season and yet flop in the playoffs? How do such lousy teams advance in the playoffs, yet the packers fall short? This has been going on for the last few years. Are you forgetting this year when the Packers swept the season with the Vikes and in the playoffs the Vikes were so bad they werent even supposed to be in the post season, yet Randy Moss gets the chance to pull down his pants because the Packers are playing so badly? You dont need to put me on ignore for this, Im mad about their performance just like everyone else because we know they are better than that. They could beat the eagles or pats in a superbowl with a few Favre long td’s, yet they somehow lose to the bad teams. So why does this happen to one of the best teams?

Please tell someone from Australia the significance of the ‘cheesehead’ . :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.