Trying This Again

I promise not to post any links again; I think my computer may have filtered out the virus or something of the sort. No harm was meant. Again, I’m very sorry if I caused trouble as I did not realize that was a bad site.:frowning:
To the point: Does anyone own or have or know of a copy of The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary in which there are small crosses after certain phrases or “secretly” written after a prayer? I would like to learn to pray this office(or is the proper term “recite”) as I think I would be really conducive in my journey towards Catholicism, but I am afraid I will go about it incorrectly without knowing what is meant by those words and symbols.
Thanks for reading!:slight_smile:

The little crosses are probably the typographical symbol known as a “dagger,” and they’re usually used to set off verses of a Psalm or something to show how the lines are broken up. Usually the Psalms, when sung or recited publicly, are done in two “sides” or two “choirs,” such that one side will sing a verse or stanza, then the other side will sing a verse or stanza, and so on. The dagger sometimes helps set off where the verses fall, although for private recitation this of course is not important–just pray the whole thing, to yourself.

It is also possible, and without seeing where it occurs in the text, I wouldn’t know, that the little red cross is at a point in the office where you should make the Sign of the Cross. This occurs at the opening versicle and response (O God, come to my assistance. O Lord, make haste to help me; or words to that effect), as well as at the beginning of the Gospel Canticle at Morning, Evening, and Night Prayer, where you’d be praying the Benedictus (Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel), the Magnificat (My soul magnifies the Lord), and the Nunc Dimittis (Now you let your servant go in peace, your word has been fulfilled) respectively. You would also make the Sign of the Cross at the close of the office, with the wording either “May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life” or “Let us praise the Lord/And give him thanks.”

I can tell you that the Little Office is a wonderful devotion; it was what led me to deepen my prayer life when I was first rediscovering my faith back in high school. Now I’m in seminary and I pray the full Liturgy of the Hours daily, and looking back, I think it was the Little Office that helped open the door for that kind of prayer, which is both communal and intercessory (communal even if you’re not praying it with people, since you are praying with the whole Church!). May God reward your efforts in prayer! Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

-ACEGC

:extrahappy:Wow! Thank you so much for your thorough reply edward_george. I really appreciate it. Now it makes a lot more sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.