Trying to diminish, so Jesus can grow?

Basically, let's say one has christ's sprit dwelling within a person (mostly due to consuming the eucharist in a state of grace), does that spirit eliminate your earthly personality, and so when you get united with the lord, your way of thinking becomes the same as christ's? I know of a bible verse somewhere which states (please tell me where it says exactly) something like "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me". Does this bible verse mean that you lose a certain sense of individuality and personality?

[quote="MindNight, post:1, topic:336501"]
Basically, let's say one has christ's sprit dwelling within a person (mostly due to consuming the eucharist in a state of grace), does that spirit eliminate your earthly personality, and so when you get united with the lord, your way of thinking becomes the same as christ's? I know of a bible verse somewhere which states (please tell me where it says exactly) something like "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me". Does this bible verse mean that you lose a certain sense of individuality and personality?

[/quote]

As St. Paul would say, "by no means!" This is not some sort of Hinduism. We retain and even in a sense rediscover and purify our personal identities in Christ.

No, it does not mean that you lose your individuality and personality. Becoming more Christ like enhances and improves your personality.

The Doctors of the Church on prayer, St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, and St. Therese (little flower), tell much about the journey of prayer in the life of a Christian.

St. Paul made the statement in the bible that you mentioned above. You can google it to find where it is. It means that he reached a very high degree of sanctity.

Galations 2:20

Yes and no:rolleyes:
The part of us that diminishes is our selfish fallen nature. This does not bring about, nor is it the source of our individuality and personality. The Lord is our maker and author. Jesus is true Humanity…we become more human in Him than outside of Him. Outside of Him we are the “world”, which is really just all the same.

The coinciding aspects of our individual personalities and our membership in the Body of Christ are very interesting to study. I know Priest and author Romano Guardini expands (for lack of better term) on this in his book The Church and the Catholic. Quite brilliant! We are at the same time individuals, who receive and share God, and also many members who depend on and strengthen one another.

So, do not be afraid to lose your personality for Christ…He will draw out the personality that is pure before God.

Hmmm thx guys for the responses, so that means that I still will be myself, only that my bad habits/sins will be removed?.... But what about hobbies, interests, etc...? will they change too if the spirit of christ trully dwells within the person? Let's say that I like playing sports (to some extent I do, especially swimming), does it mean that this sport hobby will diminish as well along with many other things I like to do in my free time?...

[quote="MindNight, post:5, topic:336501"]
Hmmm thx guys for the responses, so that means that I still will be myself, only that my bad habits/sins will be removed?.... But what about hobbies, interests, etc...? will they change too if the spirit of christ trully dwells within the person? Let's say that I like playing sports (to some extent I do, especially swimming), does it mean that this sport hobby will diminish as well along with many other things I like to do in my free time?...

[/quote]

We all need recreation and exercise. If we make it an idol and it is excessive, then it is something we can be led to correct.

Think about Peter. He was an impulsive guy, wasn’t he? He did a lot of impulsive things. He entered the tomb without caution though the blessed disciple beat him there and waited, he drew a sword and cut a guy’s ear off (he cut his ear off!!), spoke up at the transfiguration and got cut off by God for speaking out of place, he insisted he wouldn’t betray Christ and did three times, he jumped out of a boat and swam to Christ when he saw him on the shore while everyone else just paddled back, he even tried to walk on water and lost courage because he acted sooner than his wits caught up with him. Probably he was a bad fisherman because he was too impatient!

He was impulsive, probably his whole life! But look at how that impulsiveness changed with Christ in the examples of swimming out to meet him, and rushing into his tomb. That impulsiveness, otherwise negative in society, suddenly became transformed into a different sort of impulsiveness, or a wild urge to be with Christ Jesus, unhindered by what we consider normal reservations and caution.

You are transformed, not destroyed. Maybe some things will go by the wayside (did you like the same things as a child as you do now? Why are you so fearful about losing the things you have now if you are developing into a new state? Aren’t there some things you did as a child you still do now? These things may be an everlasting part of you, or a unique charm of your spirit!)

Rejoice in Christ, you will be well! :thumbsup:

As your mind comes more in line with your spirit. The spirit and mind together overpower the wants of your body. Your mind will want more spiritual things and less physical things. Your wan't to's will change. but you will still be you.

The bible tells us to put on the mind of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.