Trying to explain the comforter to come to a Muslim

Has anyone had much luck explaining that the comforter to come in the Bible is the Holy Spirit and not Muhammad?

Firstly I believe most Muslims arent even familiar to this idea about Mohammed being the comforter. It is relatively a recent view promoted by Deedat and now contd with Zaikir Naik. Just hot air and no substance. Throwing Bible verses left and right with superficial understanding of the Biblical narrative.

Both above have been banned in certain countries. Former died in 2005.

MJ

[quote="MartinJordan, post:2, topic:295272"]
Just hot air and no substance. Throwing Bible verses left and right with superficial understanding of the Biblical narrative.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, a lot of Islamic apologetics is just that.

Both above have been banned in certain countries.

Do you happen to know which? :o

[quote="workingman, post:1, topic:295272"]
Has anyone had much luck explaining that the comforter to come in the Bible is the Holy Spirit and not Muhammad?

[/quote]

John 14:16-17

(16) And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever.

(17) The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you.

It's pretty obvious that it's not Muhammad just by looking at these two lines. Not that it'll necessarily convince anyone, but Muhammad obviously did not abide forever, and the world certainly saw him and knew him, and he of course could not be in another person.

[quote="Trebor135, post:3, topic:295272"]
Unfortunately, a lot of Islamic apologetics is just that.

Do you happen to know which? :o

[/quote]

Sure. Deedat was Singapore, France, Nigeria and Australia.

Zakir Naik (guess who his teacher is?;)) UK and Canada (possibly more but Im not sure)

Also they are inspired by saying the Bible is been corrupted with NO proof.

MJ

[quote="MartinJordan, post:5, topic:295272"]

Zakir Naik (guess who his teacher is?;)) UK and Canada (possibly more but Im not sure)

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Do you know the reasons given for Deedat and Naik being forbidden to enter those countries? (I'm a maple syrup-chugging Canadian myself, but hadn't heard of the government's decision to ban Naik. Earlier this year I met a convert to Islam at university from a nominally Catholic background who touted the guy's apologetics to me; the less my compatriots see of Naik the better off we'll all be.)

Muslims love that empty argument--I mean, assertion. :shrug: God help us.

[quote="MartinJordan, post:5, topic:295272"]

MJ

[/quote]

Do you have any link that Deedat was banned in Singapore?
I lived in the neighbouring country and never heard of it.

[quote="akka, post:7, topic:295272"]
Do you have any link that Deedat was banned in Singapore?
I lived in the neighbouring country and never heard of it.

[/quote]

Maybe because this was in 1996. ISD (Internal Securities Act under the auspices of the Ministry of Home Affairs and Religious Harmony Act) Deedat and a few other Muslim "teachers".

Regardless I've seen his videos and he clearly starts off with sarcasm then goes off tangent without due diligence in his so called knowledge of even the old testament.

MJ

[quote="MartinJordan, post:2, topic:295272"]
Firstly I believe most Muslims arent even familiar to this idea about Mohammed being the comforter. It is relatively a recent view promoted by Deedat and now contd with Zaikir Naik. Just hot air and no substance. Throwing Bible verses left and right with superficial understanding of the Biblical narrative.

Both above have been banned in certain countries. Former died in 2005.

MJ

[/quote]

Don't they claim that the Bible is corrupted so when Jesus says he is sending the Holy Spirit,
they would say Jesus really meant Mohammed. Of course they twist it to support their ideas, and when scripture clearly doesn't, they turn around and say it was corrupted. Were they two guys banned because they were preaching violent Jihad?

[quote="robwar, post:9, topic:295272"]
Don't they claim that the Bible is corrupted so when Jesus says he is sending the Holy Spirit,
they would say Jesus really meant Mohammed. Of course they twist it to support their ideas, and when scripture clearly doesn't, they turn around and say it was corrupted. Were they two guys banned because they were preaching violent Jihad?

[/quote]

Both banned during different times. Zakir attributes Deedat as his inspiration.

Im not sure whether they actually preached violent Jihad (I didn't research them to that extent) but they are surely inciting distrust on anything non Islamic.

MJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.