Trying to explain Trinity Muslim Friend, does my short statement sound correct?

Hi,

Then WHY dont u simply say you came down to earth YOURSELF??? The Person of Jesus came to earth born of the flesh of the Virgin Mary, but the Person of the Father and the Person of Holy Spirit were also always in Him (Although, in my understanding isn't exactly said they took on the flesh). Just like I am a person and the Person of the Holy Spirit lives in Me, but I am only one person.

"If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”"(John 10:37-38)

"For in him the whole fulness of deity dwells bodily, and you have come to fulness of life in him, who is the head of all rule and authority." (Colossians 2:9-10)

[quote="GodHeals, post:1, topic:313893"]
Hi,

Then WHY dont u simply say you came down to earth YOURSELF??? The Person of Jesus came to earth born of the flesh of the Virgin Mary, but the Person of the Father and the Person of Holy Spirit were also always in Him (Although, in my understanding isn't exactly said they took on the flesh). Just like I am a person and the Person of the Holy Spirit lives in Me, but I am only one person.

[/quote]

Not sure what the term “Spirit” means to a Muslim.

I guess I am most concerned about what I said here

Then WHY dont u simply say you came down to earth YOURSELF??? The Person of Jesus came to earth born of the flesh of the Virgin Mary, but the Person of the Father and the Person of Holy Spirit were also always in Him (Although, in my understanding it isn’t exactly said they took on the flesh). Just like I am a person and the Person of the Holy Spirit lives in Me, but I am only one person.

Any thoughts anyone?

FRIEND:
If Jesus said I am Jesus before ur eyes but I also become God & I can also convert to the holy spirit, I would buy that. But NO.

I think the error my friend describes is Sabellianism?
catholicnewsagency.com/resources/apologetics/heresies/sabellianism/

Frank Sheed goes into great detail about this exactl topic in his beginning Theology book...the first 4 chapters or so are dedicated to taking this from the beginning (the meaning of "spirit") and building up to what/Who the Trinity is, and how to understand the whole concept. IF you want to explain the Trinity to someone, this is WELL worth taking the time to read (at least those first chapters).

amazon.com/Theology-Beginners-F-J-Sheed/dp/0892831243

Only the Second Person of the Trinity was born of Mary (took on flesh). But yes, this must be understood in light of 3 Persons (Father, Son, HS), 1 Nature (God). There is only 1 God, but 3 Persons within that 1 Nature. God the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit.

If I try to explain any more than that I'll make every theologian cringe at my pathetic attempt to describe God. ;) Read Sheed.

Thank you for your help… I like the St. Athanasius Creed, which it seems you started to go into.

So you think my statements sounded correct then? I passed it onto my Muslim friend, but didn’t want to be passing on heresies!

[quote="GodHeals, post:5, topic:313893"]
Thank you for your help.. I like the St. Athanasius Creed, which it seems you started to go into.

So you think my statements sounded correct then? I passed it onto my Muslim friend, but didn't want to be passing on heresies!

[/quote]

If you haven't already, then send him the Athanasian Creed! It explains the trinity the best in my opinion :)

The Person of Jesus came to earth born of the flesh of the Virgin Mary, but the Person of the Father and the Person of Holy Spirit were also always in Him (Although, in my understanding it isn’t exactly said they took on the flesh). Just like I am a person and the Person of the Holy Spirit lives in Me, but I am only one person.

Sound theologically correct?

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.