Trying to get into D&D

I don't play video games as much as I used to, but I always thought Dungeons and Dragons might be fun. Is it as culty as some have said, or is it generally ok for a Catholic to play? is it really involved and confusing? Where can I learn to play?

I wouldn't consider it culty (if you mean in a religious or spiritual sense), but it can be a massive drain on your time. Granted you will be with friends, and it may be enjoyable, but still....you might want to find other ways to interact with friends.

I LOVE Dungeons and Dragons, and I play a fair amount of time.

Get the book "Dungeons and Dragons for Dummies". It's a great book, quite funny, and it'll teach you the game quite easily.

Rememeber that anything, in theory, can be sinful. If you spend all your time playing D & D and ignore the world, then yes, that's sinful. Heck, if you spend all your time in chuch and neglect your family, that's probably sinful as well! :D

Is it as culty as some have said, or is it generally ok for a Catholic to play?

Dungeons & Dragons has nothing to do with the occult, or cults of any kind.

is it really involved and confusing? Where can I learn to play?

Pen and paper roleplaying games are a fairly time and effort intensive hobby. The best way to get into one is to join an established group. Try a friendly local gaming store or a website like meetup.com to find one.

[quote="Transformer, post:4, topic:208147"]
Dungeons & Dragons has nothing to do with the occult, or cults of any kind.

[/quote]

The idea that it's somehow satanic seems to have been primarily been spread by John Chick (and that alone should tell you how credible that idea is).

Learning to play from an established group is a good idea. Your experience of the game will strongly depend on the group itself. Each group is different. It does not have to be cultish in any way. However, there is a certain geek factor among those who play, at least there was when the game first came out. "Gamers" are sometimes quite identifiable as such.

A good video game based on AD&D is Baldur's Gate 2. I can't say how it would appear for a first-timer, though. I suspect it would be better to learn the ropes before trying a video game so heavily based upon it. That recommendation is quite specific. That is one of the best in terms of characterization, plot, etc. Of course, it is older, so the graphics are not even 3D, but since when has a lack of graphics stopped a gamer??? D&D started as a pencil and paper type of game, along with painted lead figurines.

you can always try some of the dnd pc games that came out in the 90s baldurs gate, icewind dale, and I heard temple of elemental evil is very close at giving you an authentic dnd expierance. Newer bioware games dropped dnd rules altogether

[quote="Pug, post:6, topic:208147"]

A good video game based on AD&D is Baldur's Gate 2. .

[/quote]

I LOVE that game! Minsc and Boo are two of my favorite charecters!

[quote="Pug, post:6, topic:208147"]
A good video game based on AD&D is Baldur's Gate 2. I can't say how it would appear for a first-timer, though. I suspect it would be better to learn the ropes before trying a video game so heavily based upon it. That recommendation is quite specific. That is one of the best in terms of characterization, plot, etc. Of course, it is older, so the graphics are not even 3D, but since when has a lack of graphics stopped a gamer??? D&D started as a pencil and paper type of game, along with painted lead figurines.

[/quote]

Neverwinter Nights is a good game for 3rd (or 3.5) edition D&D (eventually I might even finish that game).

D&D is not occult, but I would still classify it as spiritually dangerous. It can serve to desensitize you to occult influences. Granted, this does not happen to all, but it did me. I would counsel against it.

[quote="Rascalking, post:8, topic:208147"]
I LOVE that game! Minsc and Boo are two of my favorite charecters!

[/quote]

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

Minsc is a great adventuring companion, I agree. :thumbsup: A must have for the proper atmosphere.

[quote="curlycool89, post:9, topic:208147"]
Neverwinter Nights is a good game for 3rd (or 3.5) edition D&D (eventually I might even finish that game).

[/quote]

Yes, that one is pretty good, too. There is less party based stuff (I love that kind of thing), but it has a good story line.

Oh, I just realized that on some of these D&D based video games, there may be an opportunity to engage in acting out prostitution during the game. The original poster might want to know about this undesirable aspect of the computer games, seeing as how they asked on a Catholic forum. It is small, though. The games might have things like this that could annoy a Catholic.

[quote="Pug, post:11, topic:208147"]
Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

Minsc is a great adventuring companion, I agree. :thumbsup: A must have for the proper atmosphere.

[/quote]

I used Mazzy, Minsc, Vaylgar (the Ranger guy-he is SO underrated) Nalia, and Amonen (a jerk, but one who saved my party 4332 times) and I played al roles, but I like Paladins, Mages, and Monks.

[quote="curlycool89, post:5, topic:208147"]
The idea that it's somehow satanic seems to have been primarily been spread by John Chick (and that alone should tell you how credible that idea is).

[/quote]

I have heard the same from a priest experienced in deliverence

[quote="Rascalking, post:13, topic:208147"]
I used Mazzy, Minsc, Vaylgar (the Ranger guy-he is SO underrated) Nalia, and Amonen (a jerk, but one who saved my party 4332 times) and I played al roles, but I like Paladins, Mages, and Monks.

[/quote]

Mages are the best! But I played a monk in Neverwinter Nights and I loved standing in the middle of everything, circle kicking and cleaving away.

Anomen is irritating, I agree. Mazzy is fun to put in the same party with Valygar. I always ditch Imoen (some friend I am...).

Have you ever found Lillicore?

[quote="Pug, post:15, topic:208147"]
Mages are the best! But I played a monk in Neverwinter Nights and I loved standing in the middle of everything, circle kicking and cleaving away.

Anomen is irritating, I agree. Mazzy is fun to put in the same party with Valygar. I always ditch Imoen (some friend I am...).

Have you ever found Lillicore?

[/quote]

No, I haven't-where is Lillicore? A town or person?

[quote="Rascalking, post:16, topic:208147"]
No, I haven't-where is Lillicore? A town or person?

[/quote]

No. I'll tell you some info after a long-ish pause. First, I misspelled it. It is Lilarcore. I'll happily tell you more, but you might want to do the adventure yourself, since you probably missed an entire questline. I didn't find it on my first play-through.
Second, it is possible to get into the back area of the Copper Coronet and have a long quest back there. That is the inn where you first meet Nalia, and where all the NPCs tend to hang out if they leave your party. You might not wish to read any more hints at this time, and go adventure there if you haven't.
Thirdly, you need to get to the right spot and you can do a small quest and come up with a mouthy, talking sword, whose name is Lilarcore!

Oh, the two handed talking sword-yes, I do know who your talking about. Basement of the Copper Cornet, after the "pipe" quest.

Oh yes. I usually give him to Minsc, actually-so the special insane guy can have a sword that matches him! ;)

The one weapon I used the most in that game is the mace found in the Nalia quest (her castle) that mace kills all the trolls in game,and as long as you have two proficiencies, you can use that till the end of the game.

Also, if you have a patch, there are two merchants (one in the Adventures Mart, one in the Cornet), that give you AMAZINGLY, stupidly, good stuff at high, high prices.

I find that goodness of the D&D experience rests more on the shoulders of the Dungeon Master (DM). You see players can mess around all they want but even then, the DM can just virtually tie 'em down.

Thus, if you want a good time, find yourself a good, conservative Catholic DM. I've been the most unfortunate that my first time playing the game, I could tolerate only one out of the three DMs I've played under. :mad:

P.S.

Hellfire Warlocks FTW!!! >XD spams Hellfire Blast
BURN BABY!! >8D

(Note: Wearing a Strongheart Vest :p)

[quote="CWBetts, post:10, topic:208147"]
D&D is not occult, but I would still classify it as spiritually dangerous. It can serve to desensitize you to occult influences. Granted, this does not happen to all, but it did me. I would counsel against it.

[/quote]

Just cuz you're allergic to peanuts, doesn't stop me from eating Snickers. :P

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.