Trying to Have A Baby

Ok my husband and I have been married now for almost 2 years and we have been trying to have a baby, just to see if we can :p We haven't been to an NFP class mainly due to our funky schedules. But we try multiple times every cycle but to no avail. Any tips lol or where I could learn NFP on the side to work with our schedules and not break the bank too? I am getting frustrated because all of my friends and coworkers (married or not) seem to be popping out children left and right.

Sure - try reading the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Be aware that she uses a variation of NFP where couples have barrier-method contraception on fertile days instead of abstaining, but the book is still 100% applicable as long as you're aware of that.

You'll need to buy a basal body thermometer as well in order to begin charting.

I second the "Taking Charge of your Fertility" book.

I also agree, that's how I learned NFP, using the Sympto-thermal method. She has really good descriptions. I bought mine used on Ebay, so check there as well as Amazon for cheaper pricing.

If you want to try before you get the book, you should be timing intercourse when you notice the most cervical mucous. The opportune kind is like egg-whites and you should notice feeling wet throughout the day.

But learning NFP will allow you to see your cycles and see if you are ovulating regularly and have a luteal phase long enough to sustain implantation and a baby.

If you want to chart for free once you read the book, I highly recommend using the website Fertility friend. It's free too.

Thank you everyone, I will definitely try out the book :D Also has anyone had a good outcome through the intercession of St. Gerard of Majella?

I’m going to 4th or 5th or whatever the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book. AWESOME book! :smiley:

Also, have you talked about it with your regular OB? If ya’ll have been trying for 2 years that generally warrants a general workup (after a year of trying is usually when this happens). It’s just an exam and some bloodwork and maybe an ultrasound but it’s not bad and can help too!

Make sure you’re taking a prenatal vitamin w/ folic acid too!

KG

We (my husband and I) didn't learn NFP from classes, either. We mostly learned from the internet. Started on CAF, asking questions in this forum, and then spread our search out through several references from here at CAF, and then google.

Wedding anniversity was just yesterday- 6/2/84- 27 years- we tried and tried for the first ten to get pregnant but then finally realized that was not the way God wanted us to be parents- we now are the parents of a 16 yr old girl and a 14 yr old boy who drive us crazy just like a non-adopted child will do.You may want to consider adoption- we went through the Open Door Agency in Thomasville,GA and several of our co=parishoners have adopted thru them I don't know if they are still active as right after we adopted our son -age 14 now- the GA legislature changed the laws to allow direct payments to birth mothers wishing to be in the adoption process. Problem is the direct payments would come from the "Adoption Lawyer" - so now in GA if you want to adopt you have to pay the lawyer and anything the birthmother wants- car, apartment ,etc.
What a wonderful way the lawyers have screwed up- the law was passed under a Democrat Gov and legilature

like one post said you might want to consider adoption and their is also the billings method that is sanctioned by the Catholic church it is a lot like nfp

[quote="gatewood1988, post:1, topic:242590"]
Ok my husband and I have been married now for almost 2 years and we have been trying to have a baby, just to see if we can :p We haven't been to an NFP class mainly due to our funky schedules. But we try multiple times every cycle but to no avail. Any tips lol or where I could learn NFP on the side to work with our schedules and not break the bank too? I am getting frustrated because all of my friends and coworkers (married or not) seem to be popping out children left and right.

[/quote]

www.fertilityfriend.com
They have youtube like videos instructions now. It'll help with trying to conceive, but it won't give you the rules to avoid.

Acupuncture has helped several people I know.

Also, it never hurts to elminate processed foods and maintain a healthy BMI.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.