Trying to track down a book

This’ll be stretching it a bit. Ok, I saw this science-fiction novel in a second-hand book store in the late 1980’s. I cannot remember its title or author, but from what I recall reading the back of it, the Protestant reformation never happened, the Church became all-powerful and eventually discovered space travel. The story was set on a giant starship. That’s about all I can remember, it wasn’t “The High Crusade” by Poul Anderson as I have that book.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The only thing that came to mind was “A Canticle for Leibowitz”,
but that’s set in Utah not in space. It’s very good though, if you want futuristic Catholicism.
Good luck in your search.

Crikey, a Canticle for Leibowitz, I haven’t read that since school (1983). Not the book I was after, but it would be great to read again…Thanks Lots for the suggestion!!

You may be thinking of ‘Project Pope’ by Clifford Simak, inwhich rather Catholic robots work for centuries to create a computer pope to explain the reason for existence.

Or it may be something else by Simak: he was often concerned with those ‘big questons’, and I think was a pretty serious Catholic.

I’ve never beed dissapointed in one of his works, though I find parts of ‘City’ almost unbearably painful.

Thanks for the input Sam, I’ll start researching…

jakob,

Try “The Sparrow” as well.

(sometimes known as “Jesuits in spaaaaace!”)

VC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.