Trying to understand why Church allows baptism for children raised by gay couples

Laughable. 262 children. Don’t get me started on the “narrative” study.

J, you and a few other Catholics like you are the ones helping to bring me to Catholicism. A few of the Church’s recent teachings, and those Catholics who rabidly push them on others claiming, “you’re not a ‘real’ Catholic” otherwise almost tipped the scales in the other direction. Keep up the good work. I appreciate seeing you weigh in on these difficult topics.

But does the church deny baptism to the children of these people? Your analogy is incomplete if you don’t consider that.

Nice to hear, G. It sounds like you are working hard on your faith journey. Don’t get discouraged. Some of the best people I know are Catholics who are living the faith in the world we live in, together with a lot of love for others.

Oh, Pubmed. It’s so laughable.

It is laughable that the previous poster would state, as fact, something he pulled from research based on 262 individuals as a data pool.

“Percentages of children of gay and lesbian parents who adopted non-heterosexual identities ranged between 16% and 57%, with odds ratios of 1.7 to 12.1, depending on the mix of child and parent genders. Daughters of lesbian mothers were most likely (33% to 57%; odds ratios from 4.5 to 12.1) to report non-heterosexual identities.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20642872/

Yes, and the National Institutes of Health. Aren’t they controlled by LifeSite News? :rofl:
Seriously, people. It’s not a poll. Hence, not poll numbers. It’s a longitudinal narrative study. Rigorously applied and peer reviewed.

Homosexuals are going to model homosexual behavior. Duh.

Straw man. I doubt satanists are seeking baptism.

Founded hope is a vague term that does not have a formal Church definition. It is proper to give the benefit of the doubt to even very imperfect parents.

For children of satanists, I would instead call the DPJ (child protection officials in Quebec), and hope the child is placed with good foster parents.

It depends. If a parent is so constantly drugged out they may be unlikely to ask for baptism, and they may also be unlikely to make any attempt to raise the child in the Catholic Faith. The same consideration could apply to a variety of situations.

If I were a priest or pastor, I might be reluctant to assume responsibility for the spiritual welfare of a child who seems to have little chance of being raised Catholic. And what of a godparent? Is he or she going to be comfortable answering to God for the spiritual welfare of a child whose parents have little or no interest in raising as a Catholic.

As laughable as denying the existence of a source?

Wouldn’t this be an infringement of a citizen’s freedom of religion?

Perhaps I should have said legitimate source and valid study. Yes, still laughable.

I’ll consider the source…

Why does it matter to you? How are you directly effected by a gay couple baptizing their child? The Catholic Church is a Divine institution, run by flawed humans. Look at our pope. Look at our history. During what period of time have we been model executors of the faith? The only love we have is the love God gave us first and it wasn’t on condition. He doesn’t ask us to follow Him only if we are perfect at it. Anyone that loves the Lord and has a desire to be closer to Him we welcome with open arms. Anyone in search of the Truth will find Him and He will make clear to them what His intentions are. It’s really not your business. Your only business and concern as a Catholic Christian is to work out your own salvation, the salvation of your family and loved ones and then when you are right with God, His people. Luckily this task has been left to all of us and not those that think they have to find themselves or others worthy of His death. Just as I am held accountable, you will be too. You and I, like these crazy gays will be met with Mercy and Compassion. If in their ignorance, all they know is they want to be closer to God and they think they can find Him through the Catholic faith and going to mass on Sunday. I hope you go on Saturday night.

The Catholic Church isn’t a human institution, it was founded by God

You are correct. I adjusted the sentence.

Baptism is for the child’s salvation, thus children shouldn’t be denied baptism.
Infant baptism is necessary because of the sin of our first parents, so child can’t be denied baptism because of the parents’ sin. Thus denying a child baptism because the parents are gay is like denying a child baptism because of the sin of Adam&Eve.
To deny a child baptism because of the parents’ sin is also to hold the child responsible for their parents sin. Thus to deny a child baptism because the parents are gay is like aborting a child because the father is a rapist.

Canon Law:

Can. 868 §1. For an infant to be baptized licitly:

2/ there must be a founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion; if such hope is altogether lacking, the baptism is to be delayed according to the prescripts of particular law after the parents have been advised about the reason.

Only if they are serious about raising them as faithful Catholics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.