Trying to understand why Church allows baptism for children raised by gay couples

True, but it will help in the event the child dies at a very young age. That is what I am thinking about. Should that chance be taken?

Most people don’t like baptizing dying infants without the parent’s consent and children under the age of reason aren’t going to hell. Baptism isn’t a guarantee of salvation if the faith isn’t practised.

Jesus said “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.” So not allowing them to be baptized “hindering them” because of the fact that the parents are homosexuals is ok with you? I’m sorry but I don’t agree with your thinking. God loves everyone gay, straight, whatever. We are all his children. And no one should be denied baptism or access to Jesus. His forgiveness is boundless. Our minds can’t even fathom his mercy. You might not agree with other people’s choices they have made in their lives but it really has nothing to do with you.

Removes Original Sin, imparts the very life of God and the indwelling of the Trinity? We Catholics of all people don’t see baptism as just a membership ceremony, but a sacrament that actually does things to the recipient’s soul.

A well-founded belief that the child will be brought up in the Faith is one thing, but you don’t refuse baptism to a child to punish or send a message to the parents.

Baptism is a sacrament. It leaves an indelible mark on one’s soul. It confers grace.

And it gives the baptized, even those who were never properly catechized, or left the faith, a home to go back to, even if they crawl back into the Church on all fours, completely broken and humbled by life, as I more or less did after being outside the faith for 22 years.

We mustn’t confuse baptism with confirmation. The latter is something that requires being at the age of reason. Baptism does not.

It is Christ’s Church, not the clergy’s. Christ would never turn away little children who come to him. We have to ask ourselves: if we turn away children because of the sins of the parents, are we truly part of Christ’s Church, or are we attempting to turn His Church into a private club to satisfy our own prejudices?

That can apply to heterosexual also.
And what about couples who use contraception, do de not baptize the babies they have? Or one’s conceived through IVF?

We cannot hold the child accountable forthe sins of the parents. If Baptism is desired, there is a hope that parents will follow through with catechesis. That is good enough for me, and most priests I know.

I don’t care about their sins except for the fact that when it is unrepentant then it indicates that they might not be suitable for bringing the child in the Catholic faith , really the ones not allowing the children to go to Jesus are the parents if they don’t teach them properly. A proper investigation should be done for the motives for wanting the baptism and a period to show their commitment would not hurt.

You can still get baptized at that point and you would mostly likely have to go to RCIA anyways so it doesn’t make much of a difference.

So your making prejudgments on the “homosexual parents faith now” so just because a person is a homosexual you believe that they don’t have faith or a relationship with Jesus?

I’m all for baptizing them if they will be properly catechized.

By faith I mean the Catholic faith not the virtue. So the answer to your question is no.

I’m sure there are many good Catholic homosexual couples that’s have raised their children in Catholic faith. It is not for us to judge them, no investigation into anyone’s life is right. We are all sinners. I’m a sinner and so are you. All sins are equal in Gods eyes. So if you took a pen from the bank or slept for a member of the same gender it’s all the same. Jesus wants mercy. We are not to judge, he is. He will judge us the way we judge others.

They do a similar thing in marriage preparation so it is suitable to make sure that the sacrament will not be used in vain.

Grave sin is worse than venial sin.

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Yes I’m quite aware of that. And look at the divorce rate.

What’s that supposed to mean?

That doesn’t mean that all sin is equal.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The issue arises, though, in how they are living in a very consistent state of at least near occasion of sin.

Besides, the Catholic Church isn’t really a-la-carte. Being Catholic carries with it the commitment to follow Church teaching in everything. Yes, we often slip up, which is what Confession is for, but even that comes with the requirement of at leasting intending to change, including the intent to avoid near occasion of sin.

Do you have any examples?

“This is only for those whose sin is deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.” 1 John 5:16-17 NAB.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.