Trying to understand why Church allows baptism for children raised by gay couples

Why should I? I was baptized as an infant. I am fine right where I am.

Yet you should not be expressing such heretical views here on a Catholic forum.

I am pretty careful to indicate it is what I believe, not what I think everyone should believe, or that I think it is a Catholic. When I read posts, such as the ones in this thread, that I know to be completely against Church teaching (posted by people who hold themselves out as faithful Catholics) then I call that out. There is nothing heretical about that.

Like what?

Reread the thread if you aren’t sure. I already called it out.

I suggest you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church section 289. It’s quite clear.
I hope for your own sake you aren’t receiving the Eucharist if you are in obstinate denial of a truth which must be believed with divine and Catholic faith.

Following ones’ conscience is not obstinate denial.

The Catholic Church offers some wonderful concepts when it comes to how we should live life, take care of one another, and love God. IIRC, the teaching is “once a Catholic, always a Catholic”.

We are expected to do the best we can in the best way we know how. That is how I try to live my life. I would hope all of us do.

I like coming to CAF because it allows me to interact with people who I assume have the same core values I do when it comes to how we should live, philosophically speaking. I don’t allow myself to get weighed down by the legalities of the religion. This may seem heretical to you, but I promise you I am a Catholic doing my very best.

I think you should be careful about tossing around near-accusations. That was a serious offense in the old CAF, IIRC.

The views. Not an ad hominem. In any event the member in question just denied the Sacrament of the Eucharist so, obviously not in communion with the Catholic Church. All clarified now.

There are things in Catholicism that I don’t agree with, either. I will toe the line, and I’ll go along like I’m supposed to, and I won’t try to lead people away, but I nonetheless don’t always agree.

Doesn’t heretical mean not Church teaching?

I think there’s more to it.

Perhaps in prudential judgement, but not something condemned by the Church.

Catechism, 2089: “Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same.”

Truths that must be believed with divine and Catholic faith include anything that is Catholic dogma, like the Sacraments. Like the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

Well, those things I believe.

Other things, I question. I question the all-male clergy, for example. I decided that eating meat on a day of abstinence is not a mortal sin, for example. I don’t eat meat in Lenten Fridays but I don’t think it’s sin if you do.

I thought it was only Nazi Germany or Communist China or North Korea that forced politically incorrect people to attend re-education camps. Now you say that the Roman Catholic Church has re-education camps for Catholic priests who are too conservative?

As do all faithful Catholics. Cool. :sunglasses:
My understanding about Friday abstinence is that if we mess up, we should do some other mortification as a substitute. Or just confess it next time we make Reconciliation. Fasting rules are rather confusing these days, to me.

Hmmm…I think he was being sarcastic. With perhaps a sly reference to the way that priest who burned the rainbow banner was subsequently treated.

Okay.

123456789 characters

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.