Tucson Firefighters deployed to Israel

TUCSON, AZ -
Firefighters from southern Arizona deployed to Israel early Saturday morning to help manage more than 600 fires ravaging the country in the past 48 hours, officials said.

Half a dozen firefighters flew out of Tucson International Airport.

Mike McKendrick, Chairman Greater Tucson Fire Foundation, said that six local firefighters will help their Israeli counterparts at the request of the Israeli government.

Three firefighters from the Tucson-area were deployed Saturday including Mt Lemmon Fire Chief Randy Ogden. Ogden said that they are the first wave of around 40 firefighters from the United States who will make the trip.

The fires in Israel are attributed to a wave of pyro-terrorism, coupled with sustained high winds and no rain, McKendrick said. So far more than 85,000 people have been forced from their homes – and more than 700 buildings have been destroyed.

tucsonnewsnow.com/story/33798416/tucson-firefighters-deployed-to-israel?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting. Trans-state deployment wasn’t uncommon when I was a firefighter, but I’ve never heard of firefighters going to another country for that purpose.

We train over there
google.com/#q=israel+fire+fighters+arizona

Praying for the safety & well being of all.

Praying…
+
O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity.
O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother.

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power.
O show us that you are our Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. Amen.

Flos Carmeli

May the flames be put out, soon, praying for a miracle.

85,000???

That amounts to a national catastrophe! (If accurate)

I wasn’t aware of such that we train there.

Adoni, Elohim, El Shaddai, Jehovah Jahreh, and our Messiah, Jesus,
I pray for your chosen people, oh Great God of Abraham Isaac, Ishmael and Jacob.
The enemy is ever at their door. You promised
them this land of honey. You know all the trials concerning maintaining this land. The enemies have torched their crops and vegetation. Help is coming BUT. YOU CREATED THE ANGELS! Give them permission to make rain… Give them permission to create a strong wind that will stop the fire. Bless the children working for you. For those who set the fires, bring a punishment from you down on their heads as a message, YOUR PEOPLE WILL BE PROTECTED.
CONCERNING ISIS, open up the earth where the enemy stands and swallow them up. Support those who fight in your name to stop the genocide. Strengthen them in mind, body, soul and Spirit.
in Christ’s love
Tweedlealice

It is accurate, the news on the BBC has been shown burnt out towns and villages daily with hundreds of people fleeing in columns visible in some shots. Bearing in mind Israel’s population is around 7 million it is a major disaster.

Dear God, bring help for Israel and all places suffering from fires. Especially for Israel where people are the cause of destruction… :frowning:

The story mentions sustained high winds and no rain along with “pyro-terrorism” as causes. I guess sustained high winds and no rain are insufficient causes of wildfires. The Netanyahu government has made false claims of “pyro-terrorism” before when fires like these ravaged this area in the past.

Yeah I will say I’m not entirely convinced, wildfires in an area which is tinder dry and where as you point there are high winds needs nothing more than some bad habits on the part of people camping or hiking. My wife comes from near the Ural Mountains in Russia and like many areas that have woods wildfires are common, which is why not tidying up after a fire properly is regarded as a very serious offence as it is in many places where such issues are a concern. This idea of pyro terrorism may be the cause of some of the fires, may be the cause of none of them or all of them or it may be simply bad luck due to accidents and careless attitudes. I would say reserving judgement would be a good idea at this point.

There may or may not be pyroterrorism. And this may or may not be distinguishable from criminal mischief, as has happened e.g. in California.

In a climatic zone where all it takes to start a fire is a discarded glass bottle to act as a solar lens, (this has happened there and elsewhere), pyroterrorism may be impossible to prove or to disprove.

ICXC NIKA

Absolutely, we may never know. The situation is an ongoing nightmare as it stands and I suspect were were we to hit google we wound find firefighters from all over the place been deoployed to Israel right now.

I dont ever recall firefighters from foreign nations being deployed to CA to help fight fires, even during the worst fire seasons, it must be pretty bad in Israel if they are calling out to other nations for help.

California has a population the same size as many of the larger nations of the world all on it’s own, plus it has t he rest of the US to draw on. Israel has a population of slightly over 7 million and 80,000 people were ordered to evacuate. It is a major disaster for them with a number of other countries sending them equipment and aid including Greece and Russia amongst others.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.