Tuesday Mass readings (Listening to the Church head [the pope] / Purgatory / Spending time alone)

August 4

Reading 1
Nm 12:1-13

Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses on the pretext
of the marriage he had contracted with a Cushite woman.
***They complained, “Is it through Moses alone that the LORD speaks?
Does he not speak through us also?”***And the LORD heard this.
Now, Moses himself was by far the meekest man on the face of the earth.
So at once the LORD said to Moses and Aaron and Miriam,
“Come out, you three, to the meeting tent.”
And the three of them went.
Then the LORD came down in the column of cloud,
and standing at the entrance of the tent,
called Aaron and Miriam.
When both came forward, he said,
“Now listen to the words of the LORD:

Should there be a prophet among you,
in visions will I reveal myself to him,
in dreams will I speak to him;
not so with my servant Moses!
Throughout my house he bears my trust:
face to face I speak to him;
plainly and not in riddles.
The presence of the LORD he beholds.

Why, then, did you not fear to speak against my servant Moses?”

So angry was the LORD against them that when he departed,
and the cloud withdrew from the tent,
there was Miriam, a snow-white leper!
When Aaron turned and saw her a leper, he said to Moses,
“Ah, my lord! Please do not charge us with the sin
that we have foolishly committed!
Let her not thus be like the stillborn babe
that comes forth from its mother’s womb
with its flesh half consumed.”
Then Moses cried to the LORD, “Please, not this! Pray, heal her!”

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 51:3-4, 5-6ab, 6cd-7, 12-13

R. (see 3a) Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
***Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.***R. Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.
For I acknowledge my offense;
and my sin is before me always:
“Against you only have I sinned;
and done what is evil in your sight.”
R. Be merciful, O Lord, for we have sinned.
That you may be justified in your sentence,
***vindicated when you condemn.***Indeed, in guilt was I born,
and in sin my mother conceived me.
A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not off from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.

Gospel
Mt 14:22-36 or Mt 15:1-2, 10-14**

Jesus made the disciples get into a boat
and precede him to the other side of the sea,
while he dismissed the crowds.
After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray.
When it was evening he was there alone.
Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore,
was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it.
During the fourth watch of the night,
he came toward them, walking on the sea.
When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified.
“It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear.
***At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”***Peter said to him in reply,
“Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
He said, “Come.”
Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened;
and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him,
and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
After they got into the boat, the wind died down.
Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying,
“Truly, you are the Son of God.”

After making the crossing, they came to land at Gennesaret.
When the men of that place recognized him,
they sent word to all the surrounding country.
People brought to him all those who were sick
and begged him that they might touch only the tassel on his cloak,
and as many as touched it were healed.

*first bolded part: This is the same thing M. Luther said: “Is it only through the priests and bishops that God speaks. Does He not speak through everyone?”

now we have 33,000 “popes” presiding over as many religions… :hypno:

The Psalms speak (if only to me :D) of purgation, being cleansed of sin (its ill effects). This is what happens in Purgatory (if one is not finished working out his salvation with fear & trembling in this life). When i’m @ the Blessed Sacrament (unExposed) i feel the way this Psalm goes: “My sin is before me always.” And yet i don’t worry excessively because 1) i am not in mortal sin (plenty of venial ones though… :() & 2) because Jesus is There… :slight_smile: and He loves unconditionally… the only one who does… *

I don’t really know what I should say?
But, I would like to ask the Catholics a few questions… things I would like to “clear-up”:

1. What is the purpose of Purgatory?
    –God offers us one way to Heaven, that is through Jesus Christ & his gift of salvation for us. Not by works but by his grace. Why is Purgatory necessary? Is it a place for people to get a second chance to chose ot follow God’s ways?

2. Is the Pope any “higher” than every other person on the Earth?
    –Is he like 2nd to God/Jesus? I understand that he is very important, and symbolizes the leader of the Catholic Church. Seems to me that he must be “closer” to God than the rest of us… based on what I see of him. :confused:

3. Do you think about people who are considered “half-hearted” Christians go to Heaven?
    –Another term is known as “Luke-warm Christian”. The people who believe in God, go to Church, pray, and who read his word. Pretty much not-devoted Christ followers.
    OR do they need to be “spiritualy on fire” for God (so to speak) in order to go to Heaven.
    The Bible does mention taking leaps of faith, spreading the word (great commission).
    Do we need to follow his ways or just believe in him? Is there a difference between disciples & “christians” the devoted followers and the “believers”.

it is NOT a 2nd chance. People choose whom they will follow in this life… Christ (God) or Satan. Purgatory is for those Christians who have not sufficiently been purified from the terrible EFFECTS of their sins on their soul … (1 Cor 3:13, Rev 21:27, St Mt 18:23, St Mt 12:32, etc), those who are forgiven but not sufficiently purified. In many places in the Bible it says that we Christians are not only forgiven but must be cleansed… The daily Mass readings (posted daily @ this site) recently focused on one of those passages but i can’t recall what day (etc)…
You are right - there is only way to Heaven and that is Jesus… and it is Jesus who accomplishes the purgation process - both in this life and in the next. In this life we can offer our sufferings (which are myriad and numerous if we closely follow Jesus…) to God, through Christ, to atone for (purify) our past sins… It is not taking the place of what Christ did on the Christ… it is APPLYING what Jesus did on the cross… to our lives… The sorrowful rosary mysteries in particular show me the true condition of my soul and what needs to change before i am “holy”… Rev 21:27 says no impure thing will enter Heaven… and who among is perfectly pure? or ever attains perfect purity before death… ?

1. Is the Pope any “higher” than every other person on the Earth?

he is a sinner like everyone else. JP II went to confession daily, i’ve heard. But hIs office is that of Earth’s high priest… He represents the Body & Christ in Heaven is the Head of the Church. I’m not sure these exact words would be the best… & 100% pass the scrutiny of the hierarchy of the Church… but i don’t think they are far off… The Church teaches we are all “priest, prophet and king” but that ordained priests/bishops have a special calling… a special office…

–Is he like 2nd to God/Jesus? I understand that he is very important, and symbolizes the leader of the Catholic Church. Seems to me that he must be “closer” to God than the rest of us… based on what I see of him. :confused:

this is something only God knows…

1. Do you think about people who are considered “half-hearted” Christians go to Heaven?
    –Another term is known as “Luke-warm Christian”. The people who believe in God, go to Church, pray, and who read his word. Pretty much not-devoted Christ followers.
    OR do they need to be “spiritualy on fire” for God (so to speak) in order to go to Heaven.
    The Bible does mention taking leaps of faith, spreading the word (great commission).
    Do we need to follow his ways or just believe in him?

God’s Word says that if you are lukewarm, he will spew you out of His mouth… It is NOt doing everything Jesus wants that gets people into Purgatory or Hell… which explains why most people go to Purg before Heaven… Jesus said that few “find” the narrow road to eternal life… that many will try to enter HEaven but wont be strong enough… (st Luk 13:24) … Even those who do “mighty deeds” in His name dont necessarily make it…:eek: which to me is the scariest scripture psg in the Bible… I believe Jesus wants us to do good in the world (the greatest good being the work of attempting to convert others)… and also be intimate with HIm… The RCC has many powerful ways to be intimate with Christ, the best being spending time with Him at the Exposed Sacrament… Do you know much about that? The rosary is another one… etc…

i hope you don’t get your info from an anti-Catholic or even a non-Catholic. There are so many distortions of Catholic teaching out there… The best way to learn is to take an RCIA class with an orthodox instructor… Unfortunately, some parishes don’t have this option… so one has to shop around… but i have studied the faith in-depth and can answer questions you may have… There are others here who can as well… Maybe that’s why you are here?? What is your primary interest in Catholicism / CAF??

God bless… :slight_smile:

So, Purgaoty is for those who believe in their hearts that God is real, but they haven’t lived out thier life in a Christ-like way?

they haven’t lived out thier life in a Christ-like way to the extent that God wants them to… to the extent that they NEED to in order to be able to appreciate Heaven…

Heaven is a place where there is NO sin whatsoever… no desire for sin… no temptation to sin…

how many of us, when we die, are entirely free of evne the DESIRE to sin (the inclination to think vengeful thoughts for example…to think unforgiving thoughts… etc)

If we even have the desire or inclination to sin… we cannot be allowed into Heaven because then Heaven would cease to be Heaven… Sin would, as it did on Earth with Adam and Eve, abound… & there would therefore be no more Heaven and we’d be back to Square One… (same as Earth - and Hell )

so if a Christian is not finished working out his “salvation with fear and trembling” (phil 2:12) in this life, s/he can continue doing so in the next (St Mt 12:32… 1 Cor 3:13 etc)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.