Tug-of-war addiction?

Like many others, I spend a lot of time both reading and posting on CAF, but much more of the former than the latter. From these experiences, it seems like an inordinate number of conversations turn into an endless tug-of-war between Catholic and protestants (or Orthodox and Catholics, etc).

This makes me wonder: Do you think there’s such a thing as a tug-of-war addiction?

Disclaimer: I’m not, in any way, suggesting that this is less true of me than anyone else here … I just think it is easier to observe it in someone else than in oneself.

No. You’re wrong, totally wrong, Pete. :smiley:

Can’t imagine how your arrived at that conclusion
:whistle:

Jon

There really could be - there are defiantly neurotransmitters involved in conflict.

That said, CAF is a good place to explore the theology of Christianity with the caveat that, for me, I find it wise to ignore some of the more bombastic posters.

My dog has got one.

I often see exactly the same phenomenon in discussions between Catholics! And that is not just when Catholics “dissent” on a matter such as homosexuality, but amongst Catholics who all subscribe to Catholic teaching. The discussion can become as heated there as anywhere else. (And then there are the Michael Voris threads… :p)

Boy, you guys are really on the ball. Personally, if I get to a new thread within the first day (never mind the first hour) I figure I’m doing pretty well. :tada:

Idk about addiction. But, I think most of the negative aspects on this forum are due to this being an online forum. Even though its Catholic, we’ll still inevitably fall into the same flaws of this mode of communication (hopefully less than on other realms of the interwebs :wink: )

Face to face conversations use body language, etc. The internet is a great tool, but I think that its always going to be less effective at planting seeds and getting people to truly reflect on their own lives.

How many changes in your life were started by something you read online? There’s a good question.

Anyways, let me also state something about Ecumenism. I heard somewhere (can’t remember where), that Ecumenism shouldn’t be Christian denominations brushing their differences under the rug and only focusing on common ground. True Ecumenism should involve Catholics who are boldly Catholic, Orthodox who are boldly Orthodox, Evangelicals who are boldly Evangelical, all engaged in a civilized dialogue where we don’t minimize our differences, but rather celebrate our identities.

In short, Christians who are salty and haven’t lost their flavor. Salty, flavorful Christians of all stripes mixing together in one big melting pot :ehh: …

Some less cannibalistic language might be: Christians unashamedly discussing all of their beliefs (even the most controversial) together in the marketplace of ideas. :cool::

:thumbsup:

What? Me? A “conflict addict”? :stuck_out_tongue:

In all honesty, I can say that I do somewhat tend to get into verbal scuffles with posters of other denominations, but not intentionally. However, I do think that almost everyone here has good, Christian intentions in mind. But we’re all human.

That also relates to another issue: posters becoming emotional, tempers flaring, and whatnot. But even without that sort of thing happening, it’s rather depressing to see a conversation go back and forth, back and forth, when it is almost certain to achieve nothing (or, in some case, to only result in each side becoming all the more convinced their own position).

Some people have a serious problem with trying to prove others wrong at any expense.

Addiction isn’t a term I would use lightly.

This is why I had to go cold turkey from CAF posting for about 8 months.I got burned out constantly providing proof and documentation over and over again only to be dismissed by those who are really here to try and tell us Catholics how we are wrong. I come back after 8 months and it is the same thing just different user names but the same old tired falsehoods.

For all those interested in what the Church has to say about charitable, yet passionate, ecumenism, I would recommend three documents.

Nostra Aetate:
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

Unitatis Redintegratio:
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html

Mortalium Animos:
vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_19280106_mortalium-animos_en.html

A lot of people who come on here don’t want proof. They want to show everyone how right they think they are. Based on what I’ve seen and some of the responses I’ve gotten, the fact that some folks will take certain talking points and not even consider questioning them is truly breathtaking.

HOWEVER…and this is a big but…some folks REALLY do need answers and help.

Some “proof” is worth criticizing, but I don’t think that’s what you are talking about.

I was raised by a teacher and encouraged to think critically, question things, and debate. When I am on CAF, I usually assume, in a Question-type thread, that someone is inviting facts, perspectives, opinions on their topic.

I have as much fun reading all the diverse responses as I do with responding myself.

And I get annoyed with rudeness, elated with good arguments, fascinated by people with a good grasp on facts, especially scriptural.

I’m not sure that is an addiction…it’s more a way of life at this point. If I were not to participate in active debate and discourse, I would feel flat and bored. Is that a tug of war?

The pursuit of truth can feel like a tug of war.

In Fiddler on the Roof, after witnessing a squabble someone says: “He’s right, and the other guy’s right–How can they both be right?”

Response: “You are right, too.”

In defense of the more optimistic view of online discussions, one might say: Sure, those discussions aren’t like the official dialogues held by the Pontifical Council For Promoting Christian Unity (PCPCU) and the like … but you wouldn’t expect them to be. Just like you wouldn’t expect a pickup football game to be the same as the Superbowl.

Thank you; reading this conjured up a pretty hilarious mental image (please don’t anyone take that irreverently). :stuck_out_tongue:

Pics Please

:smiley:

I wish I could share!

:popcorn:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.