Tunes to songs in Liturgy of Hours

Greetings,

In the Magnificat magazine there are sections where it says certain verses can be sung to a certain tune. My question is, how do you find the tunes? A couple I know, but others, not. I've googled quite a bit, but can not find.

Any ideas? Thank you for any suggestions.

Debbie

Hi - I've noticed that about the hymns in Magnificat, too. However, they often have meters listed (example: 8 4 8 4) which tells the number of beats per line. You can look up the meters in a standard hymnal to match up a tune. That's kind of labor-intensive, but it works!

[quote="tinalewis, post:2, topic:178240"]
Hi - I've noticed that about the hymns in Magnificat, too. However, they often have meters listed (example: 8 4 8 4) which tells the number of beats per line. You can look up the meters in a standard hymnal to match up a tune. That's kind of labor-intensive, but it works!

[/quote]

Actually that would be SYLLABLES per line.

This might be helpful

rcspiritualdirection.com/blog/2009/10/17/new-version-of-the-liturgy-of-the-hours-mundelein-psalter

If not, check out the web site of the company - you can look it up by searching for Mundelein Psalter. They have downloadable music...

[quote="Lifeisawesome, post:4, topic:178240"]
This might be helpful

rcspiritualdirection.com/blog/2009/10/17/new-version-of-the-liturgy-of-the-hours-mundelein-psalter

If not, check out the web site of the company - you can look it up by searching for Mundelein Psalter. They have downloadable music...

[/quote]

I went through an exercise a few months ago looking for exactly the same information. What I'd really like to have is the tunes, with appropriate numbers in mp3 format so I could put them on my iPod.

I did look at the Mundelein Psalter and their music, and finding that it wasn't what I was looking for - but I don't remember exactly why at this point. I think it was because they used a different set of hymns than are in my book of Christian Prayer. I'll look again and if I find anything I'll post it here.

[quote="ricmat, post:5, topic:178240"]
I went through an exercise a few months ago looking for exactly the same information. What I'd really like to have is the tunes, with appropriate numbers in mp3 format so I could put them on my iPod.

I did look at the Mundelein Psalter and their music, and finding that it wasn't what I was looking for - but I don't remember exactly why at this point. I think it was because they used a different set of hymns than are in my book of Christian Prayer. I'll look again and if I find anything I'll post it here.

[/quote]

Ok - I searched and compiled a few things in the past that was a bit more difficult by looking through John Michael Talbot's Chant from the Hermitage - there are a few in there but not a complete set.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.