Tupac Shakur and Muse feature on Vatican's MySpace playlist

The Pope might be a fan of the rapper Tupac Shakur and the British rock band Muse, a music playlist provided by the Vatican suggests.

The Vatican has contributed a list of tracks for MySpace Music, an ad-supported audio and video streaming service which launched today.

However, the selection contains some surprising choices including the song Changes by Shakur, also known as 2Pac, who was killed in 1996.

The hit single released in 1998 is listed with an “explicit” warning and features lyrics about gun crime, drugs and violence on a city’s streets.

It includes the lines: “Is life worth living should I blast myself?” and “Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares, one less hungry mouth on the welfare.”

The playlist also features songs from Dame Shirley Bassey to more likely choices from the album Music From The Vatican and Mozart's Don Giovanni.

Other contemporary tracks on the 12-strong mix are Muse’s Uprising from their new album The Resistance and He Doesn't Know Why by the US folk group Fleet Foxes.

Vatican playlist:

1. Advocata Nostra – Music From The Vatican. From the album Alma Mater featuring the voice of Pope Benedict XVI.

2. Uprising – Muse. Single from the album, The Resistance.

3. Causa Nostrae Laetitiae – Music From The Vatican. From the album Alma Mater.

4. Il Mare Mi Salva – Rossomalpelo. Song from the band led by contemporary Italian singer songwriter Serge Gaggiotti

5. After The Rain – Dame Shirley Bassey. From the album The Performance.

6. Coexist – Nour Eddine. Song from Moroccan Musician, based in Italy.

7. Don Giovanni – Mozart.

8. Rafaele Merry Del Val – Lorenzo Perosi Inni Mottetti e Canzoni, Pablo Colino & Coro Academica Filarmonica Romana.

9. He Doesn't Know Why – Fleet Foxes.

10. Changes – Tupac Shakur.

11. Regina Coeli – Music From The Vatican. From the album Alma Mater.

12. Mi sarete Testimoni – Santo Subito! (DVD). Music DVD embodying the voice and image of The Pope.

telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/6716392/Tupac-Shakur-and-Muse-feature-on-Vaticans-MySpace-playlist.html

As the user njcarlos1 says on YouTube, the 2Pac song is about striving to overcome bad cultural habits: Listen here: youtube.com/watch?v=FeMKM-eQPB4

Man, that's awesome.:D If he gets Linkin Park on that playlist, we will have the coolest Pope since...ever:cool:

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:2, topic:178611"]
Man, that's awesome.:D If he gets Linkin Park on that playlist, we will have the coolest Pope since...ever:cool:

[/quote]

On the contrary, if the tedious mush that is Linkin Park is put on that playlist I wll most certainly leave the Church tomorrow morning:):). That's said with tongue in cheek obviously, but it illustrates my feelings on Linkin Park quite well.

Let's see him get some Amy Grant on that playlist of his. Maybe "Lead Me On" as a good starter. Or "Every Heartbeat".

Well, I find them inspirational.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.