Turkey: major Byzantine monastery to become mosque [CWN]

What was once the largest Byzantine monastery in Istanbul will become a mosque in 2014, a leading Turkish newspaper reported.The Monastery of Stoudios, founded in 462, was destroyed by ...

More...

It's been a museum since 1946, can it really still be considered a monastery?

they also would like to turn the Haggia Sophia into a mosque. it has been a museum for many years also. it is hard to erase the history of what something once was.

True, but the headline made me think that they were taking an actual monastery (i.e. with monks actually there) and turning it into a mosque. If they can’t find a group of Orthodox monks who would like the monastery, I’d rather it be a mosque than a museum. As flawed and error filled as Islam is, at least they would use it to give glory to God.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:3, topic:346983"]
they also would like to turn the Haggia Sophia into a mosque. it has been a museum for many years also. it is hard to erase the history of what something once was.

[/quote]

The Hagia Sophia is a mosque.

From Wiki:
In 1453, Constantinople was conquered by the Ottoman Turks under Sultan Mehmed II, who ordered this main church of the Orthodox Christianity converted into a mosque. By this point, the Church had fallen into a state of disrepair. Nevertheless, the Christian cathedral made a strong impression on the new Ottoman rulers and they decided to convert it into a mosque.[9][10] The bells, altar, iconostasis, and sacrificial vessels and other relics were removed and the mosaics depicting Jesus, his Mother Mary, Christian saints and angels were also removed or plastered over. Islamic features – such as the mihrab, minbar, and four minarets – were added. It remained a mosque until 1931 when it was closed to the public for four years. It was re-opened in 1935 as a museum by the Republic of Turkey.

From its initial conversion until the construction of the nearby larger Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque of Istanbul) in 1616, it was the principal mosque of Istanbul. The Hagia Sophia served as inspiration for many other Ottoman mosques, such as the Blue Mosque, the Şehzade Mosque, the Süleymaniye Mosque, the Rüstem Pasha Mosque and the Kılıç Ali Paşa Mosque.*

[quote="Timothysis, post:6, topic:346983"]

Thanks for correcting me.
[/quote]

[quote="Timothysis, post:6, topic:346983"]

:thumbsup:
[/quote]

[quote="oldcatholicguy, post:4, topic:346983"]
True, but the headline made me think that they were taking an actual monastery (i.e. with monks actually there) and turning it into a mosque. If they can't find a group of Orthodox monks who would like the monastery, I'd rather it be a mosque than a museum. As flawed and error filled as Islam is, at least they would use it to give glory to God.

[/quote]

to give glory to their Allah. I don't see them giving glory to MY God.

If they can't find a group of Orthodox monks who would like the monastery, I'd rather it be a mosque than a museum. As flawed and error filled as Islam is, at least they would use it to give glory to God.

[/quote]

As a museum people can view it and enjoy it.

If they can't find a group of Orthodox monks who would like the monastery, I'd rather it be a mosque than a museum.

[/quote]

I am not sure there is any interest in finding Orthodox monks to take over the facility. The recent spate of re-converting former monastery/mosques seems to be driven by domestic politics. The former mosque/monasteries had been converted into museums by the secular political establishment which ruled Turkey for most of the 20th century. Now that they are out of power, there seems to be some desire to tweak their noses, and since the ruling political parties are (to varying degree) Muslim, I don't think there is much interest in handing the buildings over to Christians.

Also, in most cases, the buildings have not served a Christian function for many centuries. The building we are discussing in this thread was converted to a mosque more than 500 years ago. It served as a mosque up until 1920, when it was abandoned.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:9, topic:346983"]

[/quote]

-I suggest you educate yourself on the teachings of the Church in this matter since your above runs contrary to it.

-"MY God."- good to know that you believe you have some sort of ownership of God.

Allah is a term used to give praise to the one true God by millions of Catholics and Orthodox Christians also and it’s usage predates Islam. Also Catholic teaching states that Muslims worship the one true God but in a deficient manner. You might wish to look into the long tradition of Franciscans working in the holy land and surrounding areas and as part of that role teaching Muslim children and in doing so teaching them about the Q’uran and Islam.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:9, topic:346983"]

[/quote]

If you ever find yourself at an Eastern Catholic parish, the priest will reference Allah, raise the Host to Allah, give glory to Allah and venerate Allah. It is simply the name of God in Arabic, the same God as "Dios" in Spanish or "Bog/Bogu" in Polish, Russian and other Slavic tongues.

[quote="VanSensei, post:14, topic:346983"]
If you ever find yourself at an Eastern Catholic parish, the priest will reference Allah, raise the Host to Allah, give glory to Allah and venerate Allah. It is simply the name of God in Arabic, the same God as "Dios" in Spanish or "Bog/Bogu" in Polish, Russian and other Slavic tongues.

[/quote]

That is true in some Eastern Catholic Churches, not all of them, as there are after all 22 of them and they do vary in custom and traditions amongst themselves. But I largely agree with your point on the whole.

[quote="VanSensei, post:14, topic:346983"]

[/quote]

yes, I am well aware of what the word Allah means. however, I don't believe the Allah they are worshipping is the same God that I worship. I worship the God who inspired the Holy Bible not Allah who inspired the Koran.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:16, topic:346983"]
yes, I am well aware of what the word Allah means. however, I don't believe the Allah they are worshipping is the same God that I worship. I worship the God who inspired the Holy Bible not Allah who inspired the Koran.

[/quote]

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:17, topic:346983"]
841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

[/quote]

thank you. I still have my own opinion.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:18, topic:346983"]
thank you. I still have my own opinion.

[/quote]

Which is ultimately irrelevant when weighed against the Churches teaching, we are not a Church of 'opinions'. There are matters we can legitimately disagree on and the Church does not teach that Islam is equal to Christianity, nevertheless they do worship the one true God.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:19, topic:346983"]
Which is ultimately irrelevant when weighed against the Churches teaching, we are not a Church of 'opinions'. There are matters we can legitimately disagree on and the Church does not teach that Islam is equal to Christianity, nevertheless they do worship the one true God.

[/quote]

of course. I was expecting your answer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.