Turkish military in attempted coup, prime minister says

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A group within Turkey’s military has engaged in what appeared to be an attempted coup, the prime minister said, with military jets flying over the capital and reports of vehicles blocking two major bridges in Istanbul.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told private NTV television: “it is correct that there was an attempt,” when asked if there was a coup.

yahoo.com/news/turkish-military-attempted-coup-prime-201213836.html

Just saw this, it’s still occurring from what I’m reading. :eek:

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/

“The power in the country has been seized in its entirety,” said the military statement read on NTV television

Another Egypt. :shrug:

Certainly seems possible. The leaders in Ankara have been increasingly favorable toward Islamists in recent years which is not in line with Turkey’s secular state.

We’ll see, they said its a small group in the military, but it always is. Any mistakes is certain death for them, so I’m sure they had a plan.

Would you consider this to be an anti-Islam, anti-muslim revolt?

I wouldn’t say Pro west offensive, but more of an anti-islam attack? Would you agree?

I don’t know. We’ll have to see what the military units in revolt say, assuming they win.

The world’s gone insane, just saw it on TV news! :eek:

Apparently they said all foreign policy and contracts will remain and be honored, they will uphold democracy and civil and human rights. A number of hostages have been taken hostage at a military compound in Ankara. Among those taken hostage is leading army chief General Hulusi who is pro Erdogan, whos authoritarian approach leans toward Islam-sharia law and broke the peace treaty with the Kurds.

"The Dogan agency reported that the statement said that the military did this “to reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated.”

The military statement went on to say that “all international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue.”

SOUNDS GREAT!!! HOPE THEY SUCCEED!!

Erdogan is seeking asylum in Germany. Will he be accepted?

I don’t know. :slight_smile:

Wow, sounds like the military won then.

I can honestly say I’ve got mixed feelings on this. I mean the will of the people should be upheld, and coups are not the answer to anything (I’ve got a co-worker who has lived through one in the Ivory Coast and she reminds me of that all the time). But at the same time, Turkey elected a party that at it’s core wants to work to roll back all of the work Turkey has put into being a secular and western state for the last century as that’s what is the core of Islamist ideology (the desire to implement Sharia Law on all aspects of society). I just hope the military will give back control as quickly as possible to civilian authorities. But that typically never completely happens.

He’s not in Turkey so maybe he had an idea this was going to happen.

AP reporting: Loud explosion heard in capital Ankara, CNN-Turk says explosion occurred at state-run television building.

BBC: The AFP news agency reports that a violent explosion has been heard in Ankara, while a US source tells Reuters that gunfire has been near the headquarters of the Turkish military’s general staff in the capital.

They took over the media and said a new constitution is being drafted. They are under martial law and can’t go out and are tweeting out through wifi which I just lost the guy… Erdogan is asking his people to go outside and protest. :eek:

TV news - Erdogan is meant to be in Turkey still and not in Germany as earlier reported.

Might be hiding they are reporting in the US hes on vacation. You Tube, Facebook and Twitter are blocked, Parliament building and police headquarters are surrounded by Tanks.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was reportedly on holiday in the Mediterranean resort town of Marmaris when the coup attempt was launched. Here is a photo showing him addressing reporters there.

bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-36811357

Turkish president Tayyip Erdoğan is reportedly seeking asylum in Europe, as a military coup continues in Turkey, U.S. military sources tell NBC News. Erdoğan’s presidential jet was allegedly denied landing rights at Istanbul’s airport, before heading out of the country. He was then denied asylum in Germany, according to NBC, before heading to London. Addressing Turkey via Facetime, Erdoğan asserted declared, “I am president,” and vowed to crush the opposition forces. He also said “This country can’t be managed from Pennsylvania,” directly linking the coup attempt to U.S.-based exiled imam Fethullah Gülen.

thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/07/15/erdogan-seeks-asylum-in-germany-report.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.